Are there any Americans on Fiverr?

jerbonzo

There are lots of americans on fiverr… but I’m not one of them : )
I think how someone has written out their gig description and responds to messages can give you a better idea of their grasp of ‘american’ idioms, culture, language etc.
then you might feel better about ordering from them for your american-specific project.
however the beauty of freelancers is that you can live anywhere in the world, so often folks are living wherever the hell they want… so the location on their profile won’t tell you much either.

I mean, I’m an American, but I guess there aren’t that many because the wages are too low compared to what foreigners can get when you look at the average salaries in their countries and factor in the exchange rate. If it’s essential that you work with Americans, maybe you should look to more premium freelancing sites and interact with people to see how they speak, like Leah says.

What people are missing is what is their real requirement. It’s not that the seller needs to be American, it’s not that the seller currently live in America, it’s not that the seller is American but lives somewhere else. That goes for any other assumptions based on ethnicity or location, not just America.

The real requirements are that if you have complex requirements you need someone who speaks your language, in this case English with US slang.

I don’t know what aspect of culture is important but unless it’s specific to a particular city or state (New Orleans has a different culture than New York for example) then that’s probably not your real requirement. Maybe you want someone who is used to working in a professional capacity, signing NDAs, committing to a contract etc. Maybe you’re after someone with experience working in McDonalds. Well, both those are available from non-Americans. You might meet an American seller whose first language isn’t English and they’re not fluent in business English. Do they meet your requirement because they’re American?

I think it’s much easier to find the right seller if you think about what’s really important because those things can be discovered through communication.

What people are missing is what is their real requirement. It’s not that the seller needs to be American, it’s not that the seller currently live in America, it’s not that the seller is American but lives somewhere else. That goes for any other assumptions based on ethnicity or location, not just America.

The real requirements are that if you have complex requirements you need someone who speaks your language, in this case English with US slang.

I don’t know what aspect of culture is important but unless it’s specific to a particular city or state (New Orleans has a different culture than New York for example) then that’s probably not your real requirement. Maybe you want someone who is used to working in a professional capacity, signing NDAs, committing to a contract etc. Maybe you’re after someone with experience working in McDonalds. Well, both those are available from non-Americans. You might meet an American seller whose first language isn’t English and they’re not fluent in business English. Do they meet your requirement because they’re American?

I think it’s much easier to find the right seller if you think about what’s really important because those things can be discovered through communication.

I’m sorry, I can’t hear or see you over my appropriated star-spangled banner

Hey, I am a big supporter of the guy who will be the Prez of US in 2 days. Does that make me American?

I am not a big supporter of Modi, who may do something interesting in the next two days. Does that make me Indian?

I say this, only because a significant minority in electoral terms did not vote for Trump, so this is… an odd thing to say.

I guess some of it is also being nervous about giving out a password or some types of financial info to work on a website setting up ecommerce for example. If it is someone in my country then I have some type of recourse even possible if something unethical takes place, but if it happens with someone in another country it is a total loss of whatever it is. Just my thoughts as I am kind of new to this environment.

I guess some of it is also being nervous about giving out a password or some types of financial info to work on a website setting up ecommerce for example. If it is someone in my country then I have some type of recourse even possible if something unethical takes place, but if it happens with someone in another country it is a total loss of whatever it is. Just my thoughts as I am kind of new to this environment.

One thing you could do, as you research potential sellers, is to pick your top sellers (based on the gigs that seem like a good fit for your project), send them a message (before ordering), and ask them. You can tell a great deal about a seller by how they respond to you, how strong their English skills are, and, in many cases, how knowledgeable they are in answering the questions you ask them. 🙂

If that’s what worries you, perhaps it would be better to hire someone locally (someone you can meet in person and someone who will sign a contract).

My significant portion of orders i have completed are from Us and almost 70% of my buyers are americans. And as misscrystal said, americans use fiverr a lot but mostly as buyers.

I’m from Texas living in Brazil…also lived in NY, Paris and Munich…

I really don’t understand your question. Here in Brazil most of people knows a lot about our history and culture.

I’m from Alabama, USA. That’s about as entrenched as it gets, for better and worse. I’m here to buy services, not offer them. I always talk to the service provider before ordering. I only care that the job gets done, not concerned where they’re from.

That’s the whole point of the internet. It’s the most level economic playing field in existence. The meaning of commerce people offer something that I can’t provide for myself, thus we engage in trade.

Story/Illustration: on some island a farmer finds that the tree fibers in his orchard make good fishing nets, a “boon” to his business. The fishermen is hit by an algae plume and has to go further out to find fish, a hardship. How many fish does it take to equal on of the farmer’s new nets? That process is trade and commerce.

All Fiverr does is offer a platform for that exchange to take place. It doesn’t matter the color of your skin, nationality or anything else. It based purely on the value of what you bring to the market place.

We all have certain skills, talents that give us an advantage. We all have deficiencies as well. Again trade and commerce sort these things out so that all benefit where I can true up my deficiencies by having others who excel in those areas provide service for me. There are also areas where I will never be able to compete because they have the advantage, thus I don’t even try. I build off the strengths, and true the deficiencies via services like Fiverr.

I’m from Alabama, USA. That’s about as entrenched as it gets, for better and worse. I’m here to buy services, not offer them. I always talk to the service provider before ordering. I only care that the job gets done, not concerned where they’re from.

That’s the whole point of the internet. It’s the most level economic playing field in existence. The meaning of commerce people offer something that I can’t provide for myself, thus we engage in trade.

Story/Illustration: on some island a farmer finds that the tree fibers in his orchard make good fishing nets, a “boon” to his business. The fishermen is hit by an algae plume and has to go further out to find fish, a hardship. How many fish does it take to equal on of the farmer’s new nets? That process is trade and commerce.

All Fiverr does is offer a platform for that exchange to take place. It doesn’t matter the color of your skin, nationality or anything else. It based purely on the value of what you bring to the market place.

We all have certain skills, talents that give us an advantage. We all have deficiencies as well. Again trade and commerce sort these things out so that all benefit where I can true up my deficiencies by having others who excel in those areas provide service for me. There are also areas where I will never be able to compete because they have the advantage, thus I don’t even try. I build off the strengths, and true the deficiencies via services like Fiverr.

@blackwarriorlur…You ruled this topic!!!

You can hire the people with the American flag, that’s the easy way to do it.

You can also search for it, I searched “American” and got a lot of results, here’s one:

I will record an American male voice over

Then I searched “American designer” and got only one result.

I will design American FOOTBALL Inspirational Picture Quotes (ironically, that guy is from India)

Then I tried “american writer” and “american copywriter” and got no results.

Opportunity here? I’m not sure. I wonder how many people are searching that?

“native english speaker” and “native english” got me a lot more results, specially for writers and VO people.

You can also search the names of American cities and see what’s being done.

I’m from Texas living in Brazil…also lived in NY, Paris and Munich…

I really don’t understand your question. Here in Brazil most of people knows a lot about our history and culture.

Brazilians may know our blue jeans, McDonalds, our movies, TV shows, but they’re not going to know much about our political parties, our social issues, healthcare, criminal law, constitutional rights, habeas corpus, the civil war, Obama, Trump, etc.

My view is that no matter how much you read about a country, you have to live in it to understand it. When Oprah praised Denmark for being the happiest country, she forgot to mention that new cars are taxed at 150% and the impact trickles down to used car prices.

Now I can’t tell you if Danes are happy with that, I haven’t lived in Denmark, so I can’t exactly write for a Danish blog unless they want an American perspective.

Brazilians may know our blue jeans, McDonalds, our movies, TV shows, but they’re not going to know much about our political parties, our social issues, healthcare, criminal law, constitutional rights, habeas corpus, the civil war, Obama, Trump, etc.

My view is that no matter how much you read about a country, you have to live in it to understand it. When Oprah praised Denmark for being the happiest country, she forgot to mention that new cars are taxed at 150% and the impact trickles down to used car prices.

Now I can’t tell you if Danes are happy with that, I haven’t lived in Denmark, so I can’t exactly write for a Danish blog unless they want an American perspective.

You have a point…I just don’t think it matters for creative or digital services unless you need something with a real American touch.

We are capitalists and we prime for the benefits of globalization. Simple like that.

Archived