Discounting Gigs (Good or Bad?)

sydneymorgan

I’m just wondering what sellers think about giving discounts…Do you give them consistently, or just to first-time buyers? On large orders or never on large orders?

Why I ask:

I almost always discount large orders for my in-depth editing gig because it gets so expensive and I get that Fiverr is generally a budget platform. Rather than giving random discounts through custom offers, I decided to publish a discount gig yesterday.

The minimum order is 25k words for $125. Each additional 1250 words is $5 (my main in-depth gig is 1000 words for $5).

Your thoughts wanted…

• Will it be better having a gig like this that makes discounts fair and uniform across orders?
  • Do you think this will encourage or discourage buyers from asking for additional discounts?
  • Will it de-value the service as a whole?

Any feedback would be awesome 🙂

It depends on you. Fiverr started off as a budget platform, but more and more there is a range, and you can play in the lower end or go up market. I’m hearing this year they are focusing more on quality. If your gig costs more, they are rewarding that with higher placement compared to just featuring the people with cheap gigs.

In other words, ranking used to primarily be on total gigs sold, and the amount didn’t matter. That is changing. If you sell two $100 gigs, now it counts more than the seller who sells ten $5 gigs. That was NOT the case before.

Assuming your service is of value to clients, are they getting enough value even if they pay “full price”? How much would it be if they contract you outside of Fiverr?

I charge extra for super large orders. There are more places for things to go wrong, clients often want revisions on something, and there is often more to communicate for a larger order. More risk that they will try to cancel after you deliver too…

I’m going the other way from you, I just raised my prices. I want the buyers who appreciate quality, and if they hired me outside of Fiverr they would pay far more.

While there ARE huge numbers of buyers who want “cheap”, and that is their primary criteria. My gut says those will ask for a discount even though you have already provided it.

There are a set who want higher quality, they will pay more because they understand it’s tough to get something for nothing. They will pass up gigs that seem to charge too little.

Only you can decide where in the market you want to play.

I just looked at your gig.

It makes no sense to me that you are discounting anything. You have 3700+ reviews. You are not a beginner.

In my mind someone like you should be a premium seller, charging more than 90% of the people in your category. You have a track record.

Sell “I’m quality and worth it.”

You may get 10% fewer gigs, but you’ll more than make up for it in revenue.

That’s where Fiverr says they want to go anyway: Higher quality, higher revenue total.

I just looked at your gig.

It makes no sense to me that you are discounting anything. You have 3700+ reviews. You are not a beginner.

In my mind someone like you should be a premium seller, charging more than 90% of the people in your category. You have a track record.

Sell “I’m quality and worth it.”

You may get 10% fewer gigs, but you’ll more than make up for it in revenue.

That’s where Fiverr says they want to go anyway: Higher quality, higher revenue total.

Thanks, Lisa 😄

I originally started with my 5k for $5 gig (way underpriced) and that’s how I built up my account. I added the in-depth gig a little while ago with plans to eventually phase out the basic gig.

The reason I haven’t raised my prices is because I mostly service new authors/startups who have a low budget but a lot of content they need edited. I feel like if I raise my prices, I’ll lose a lot of my loyal client base simply because they couldn’t afford to keep working with me.

So, I’m sort of stuck for now. The orders are lower priced, but typically on the larger side. The volume evens everything out in the end, but I know that sooner or later (probably pretty soon) I’ll have to close the 5k gig to keep up with Fiverr’s (and the world’s) inflation.

I appreciate your input!

Thanks, Lisa 😄

I originally started with my 5k for $5 gig (way underpriced) and that’s how I built up my account. I added the in-depth gig a little while ago with plans to eventually phase out the basic gig.

The reason I haven’t raised my prices is because I mostly service new authors/startups who have a low budget but a lot of content they need edited. I feel like if I raise my prices, I’ll lose a lot of my loyal client base simply because they couldn’t afford to keep working with me.

So, I’m sort of stuck for now. The orders are lower priced, but typically on the larger side. The volume evens everything out in the end, but I know that sooner or later (probably pretty soon) I’ll have to close the 5k gig to keep up with Fiverr’s (and the world’s) inflation.

I appreciate your input!

I feel like if I raise my prices, I’ll lose a lot of my loyal client

Good editors are hard to find.

I didn’t abandon mine when she raised her price. I only use her for ebooks, in particular genre. Everything else, I use other sellers. I like to have more than one seller for everything.

I feel like if I raise my prices, I’ll lose a lot of my loyal client

Good editors are hard to find.

I didn’t abandon mine when she raised her price. I only use her for ebooks, in particular genre. Everything else, I use other sellers. I like to have more than one seller for everything.

That’s good to hear 😄

I think instead of deleting my 5k editing gig, I’ll change it to a simple proofreading/beta reading gig since most of my buyers for it have long novels that just need a final look.

Thanks, Lisa 😄

I appreciate your input!

I feel like if I raise my prices, I’ll lose a lot of my loyal client base simply because they couldn’t afford to keep working with me.

You will lose some who can’t afford you, but you will also gain some who don’t use you now because you are too low priced.

When you go to the grocery store, do you always buy the cheapest for everything? Sometimes I do, sometimes I pay a little bit more for a known brand, and sometimes I pay a bit more because I’m not sure.

Sometimes I save up to get something better, because while I can’t initially afford it, I see the value in getting something better so I wait and save until I can get something higher quality.

Same on Fiverr. If you are too low, then some new buyers will pass you by too… If they find a similar seller for $5 or $15 more, some will select them even if you are actually better.

There is a perception issue: Most people expect to pay a little more for higher quality. If it’s too low priced, they don’t take a chance, because they don’t believe you get something for nothing.

All good, I do NOT mean to tell you want to do. I’m simply providing data points for you to test.

Also, you can create a “Premium” gig, where you add more value and see if some people select that one, rather than your other gig. Sometimes another one will give you enough data points to make a good decision on which way to go.

BEST!

EDIT: You can also raise prices but tell your existing clients they can order at the old rates. You can send them custom offers, or they can order more words, but pay the old rates. Lots of ways to reward existing clients, even as you raise your prices. There is even a special link you can create and give to selective clients to see special pricing. (I can’t remember the name, maybe “Fiverr Everywhere”?)

I feel like if I raise my prices, I’ll lose a lot of my loyal client base simply because they couldn’t afford to keep working with me.

You will lose some who can’t afford you, but you will also gain some who don’t use you now because you are too low priced.

When you go to the grocery store, do you always buy the cheapest for everything? Sometimes I do, sometimes I pay a little bit more for a known brand, and sometimes I pay a bit more because I’m not sure.

Sometimes I save up to get something better, because while I can’t initially afford it, I see the value in getting something better so I wait and save until I can get something higher quality.

Same on Fiverr. If you are too low, then some new buyers will pass you by too… If they find a similar seller for $5 or $15 more, some will select them even if you are actually better.

There is a perception issue: Most people expect to pay a little more for higher quality. If it’s too low priced, they don’t take a chance, because they don’t believe you get something for nothing.

All good, I do NOT mean to tell you want to do. I’m simply providing data points for you to test.

Also, you can create a “Premium” gig, where you add more value and see if some people select that one, rather than your other gig. Sometimes another one will give you enough data points to make a good decision on which way to go.

BEST!

EDIT: You can also raise prices but tell your existing clients they can order at the old rates. You can send them custom offers, or they can order more words, but pay the old rates. Lots of ways to reward existing clients, even as you raise your prices. There is even a special link you can create and give to selective clients to see special pricing. (I can’t remember the name, maybe “Fiverr Everywhere”?)

You can also raise prices but tell your existing clients they can order at the old rates. You can send them custom offers … There is even a special link you can create and give to selective clients to see special pricing.

That link sounds perfect 😄 I’ll look for it. That sounds like a good choice of action. Thank you for your input, you make excellent points and, after more than two years, it’s about time I updated my price scale.

BEST!

Most people expect to pay a little more for higher quality. If it’s too low priced, they don’t take a chance, because they don’t believe you get something for nothing.

Yes, this is absolutely true.

It is worth noting though, that when people pay higher prices the accountability level goes up.

What I mean is, when someone pays low prices they almost half expect it to not be as good as they would ideally want - they are compromising on price over quality. With a higher priced product, the opposite is true - they know there are cheaper options but are paying MORE for better quality and it has to be delivered upon!

Often when people complain about a service, the first answer people on the forum give is “What did you expect for $5?”. When the price is higher, the buyer can rightfully expect a higher level of service. Be aware also that those paying more will often expect a higher level of professionalism too, such as prompt communication as well as better clarifications as to what exactly you have done to justify your price - ie. show your value.

If I go to a used “Honest Joe” type car dealer, I won’t really have an issue if the guy is shouting answers across to other people while smoking a cigarette and having a coffee. If that happened in a BMW dealership, the salesman would lose his job.

Most people expect to pay a little more for higher quality. If it’s too low priced, they don’t take a chance, because they don’t believe you get something for nothing.

Yes, this is absolutely true.

It is worth noting though, that when people pay higher prices the accountability level goes up.

What I mean is, when someone pays low prices they almost half expect it to not be as good as they would ideally want - they are compromising on price over quality. With a higher priced product, the opposite is true - they know there are cheaper options but are paying MORE for better quality and it has to be delivered upon!

Often when people complain about a service, the first answer people on the forum give is “What did you expect for $5?”. When the price is higher, the buyer can rightfully expect a higher level of service. Be aware also that those paying more will often expect a higher level of professionalism too, such as prompt communication as well as better clarifications as to what exactly you have done to justify your price - ie. show your value.

If I go to a used “Honest Joe” type car dealer, I won’t really have an issue if the guy is shouting answers across to other people while smoking a cigarette and having a coffee. If that happened in a BMW dealership, the salesman would lose his job.

Be aware also that those paying more will often expect a higher level of professionalism too, such as prompt communication as well as better clarifications as to what exactly you have done to justify your price - ie. show your value.

Excellent point! And in case some of you missed it.

@eoinfinnegan has an EXCELLENT post on value. When we charge more buyers SHOULD expect more, and we have to deliver on that value proposition.

(His link to this post is embedded in his response to me. It’s so good I thought it should be more explicit.)

Absolutely worth reading this thread a few times:

favicon.icoFiverr Forum default-apple-touch-icon.png

Communicating the Value of Your Gig to Buyers - UPYOUR

Following a comment from @jamesbulls a couple of days ago regarding communicating value to buyers I have spent some time thinking on this extremely important topic. It is something that we have all heard people say to us "You must explain your...

Reading time: 6 mins ? Likes: 46 ❤

BEST!

@sydneymorgan, Lisa is exactly right here. I’m a copyeditor and I have always made it a policy to never discount my services. I know what I do is worth what I charge, and I never feel like I need to apologize or discount for that. What I have found is that as I’ve raised my prices (I now charge 4 times what I started out charging), I get better and better clients who want high quality editing and who send me higher quality jobs. I also get much larger jobs (my highest so far has been $850) now that I’m charging more. Writers know they need to invest in their writing, and they don’t want to take too much of a chance on shoddy, cheap work. This is what I know and strongly believe in, so I base my fees and my work on that. I guess, like others have said, my professionalism and communication skills, as well as a lot of 5-star reviews, allow me to charge what I charge and still be busy with work. It looks like you’re doing as well on those things so you can charge what you feel you’re worth too. If you’re asking about discounting, I wonder if it’s because somewhere in the back of your mind you really don’t want to discount? Go with your gut on this one!

@sydneymorgan, Lisa is exactly right here. I’m a copyeditor and I have always made it a policy to never discount my services. I know what I do is worth what I charge, and I never feel like I need to apologize or discount for that. What I have found is that as I’ve raised my prices (I now charge 4 times what I started out charging), I get better and better clients who want high quality editing and who send me higher quality jobs. I also get much larger jobs (my highest so far has been $850) now that I’m charging more. Writers know they need to invest in their writing, and they don’t want to take too much of a chance on shoddy, cheap work. This is what I know and strongly believe in, so I base my fees and my work on that. I guess, like others have said, my professionalism and communication skills, as well as a lot of 5-star reviews, allow me to charge what I charge and still be busy with work. It looks like you’re doing as well on those things so you can charge what you feel you’re worth too. If you’re asking about discounting, I wonder if it’s because somewhere in the back of your mind you really don’t want to discount? Go with your gut on this one!

If you’re asking about discounting, I wonder if it’s because somewhere in the back of your mind you really don’t want to discount? Go with your gut on this one!

I’m definitely unsure about it, especially since my services are already affordable. I think I’ll be updating my basic gig soon and raising my prices across the board 🙂

I appreciate everyone’s input, it was really helpful!

If you’re asking about discounting, I wonder if it’s because somewhere in the back of your mind you really don’t want to discount? Go with your gut on this one!

I’m definitely unsure about it, especially since my services are already affordable. I think I’ll be updating my basic gig soon and raising my prices across the board 🙂

I appreciate everyone’s input, it was really helpful!

If I get asked to discount, I always say something pretty positive like: “I always charge the same price to be fair to all my clients and because Fiverr is already a discounted site” and most people still buy from me. I know I can lose a job by saying that, but I rarely do and I’m busy enough. I might consider discounting or changing my pricing if I needed jobs, but that’s not been an issue.

Oh, and if someone asks me to discount because it’s such a big (expensive) job, I tell them I’m sorry but I can’t discount it because I want to be able to take the same amount of time and care with their longer order as I would for a smaller job. That usually convinces them!

Why discount?

You will do more work for the same profit…

I think this site should balance the prices and to not let people to go bellow the normal price…
I have seen too many sellers from poor countries doing too many gigs for the price of one…

If I get asked to discount, I always say something pretty positive like: “I always charge the same price to be fair to all my clients and because Fiverr is already a discounted site” and most people still buy from me. I know I can lose a job by saying that, but I rarely do and I’m busy enough. I might consider discounting or changing my pricing if I needed jobs, but that’s not been an issue.

Oh, and if someone asks me to discount because it’s such a big (expensive) job, I tell them I’m sorry but I can’t discount it because I want to be able to take the same amount of time and care with their longer order as I would for a smaller job. That usually convinces them!

If I get asked to discount, I always say something pretty positive like: “I always charge the same price to be fair to all my clients and because Fiverr is already a discounted site” and most people still buy from me. I know I can lose a job by saying that, but I rarely do and I’m busy enough.

I like your statement. I have a “Quick Response” for people like this too. Last time I paid attention, I calculated about 2/3 of the people still ordering from me and didn’t complain about the prices.

Many of them are my current clients. I stopped paying attention to the stats after it worked enough times.

I’m always tweaking this over time, so it will be a little different a month from now. (Everything can be improved, and I’m always looking for a stronger approach that serves more people…)

Thanks for contacting me.

If price is your primary criteria, I’m the wrong Fiverr seller for you.

I’m really passionate about creating truly excellent audio. That requires a lot of behind-the-scenes work that most Fiverr VO artists don’t do, won’t do, or are not even aware of, so I’m not always the cheapest, but I will do a great job for you.

There are lots of inexperienced VO people on Fiverr that want experience, so they will provide great discounts.

I’m focused on sellers who want high quality and their clients expect the best, plus understand that quality can require a little more investment, which returns maximum value.

All the best, I’m sure you’ll find some great VO providers on Fiverr.

Lisa

If I get asked to discount, I always say something pretty positive like: “I always charge the same price to be fair to all my clients and because Fiverr is already a discounted site” and most people still buy from me. I know I can lose a job by saying that, but I rarely do and I’m busy enough.

I like your statement. I have a “Quick Response” for people like this too. Last time I paid attention, I calculated about 2/3 of the people still ordering from me and didn’t complain about the prices.

Many of them are my current clients. I stopped paying attention to the stats after it worked enough times.

I’m always tweaking this over time, so it will be a little different a month from now. (Everything can be improved, and I’m always looking for a stronger approach that serves more people…)

Thanks for contacting me.

If price is your primary criteria, I’m the wrong Fiverr seller for you.

I’m really passionate about creating truly excellent audio. That requires a lot of behind-the-scenes work that most Fiverr VO artists don’t do, won’t do, or are not even aware of, so I’m not always the cheapest, but I will do a great job for you.

There are lots of inexperienced VO people on Fiverr that want experience, so they will provide great discounts.

I’m focused on sellers who want high quality and their clients expect the best, plus understand that quality can require a little more investment, which returns maximum value.

All the best, I’m sure you’ll find some great VO providers on Fiverr.

Lisa

That’s a great quick response. I’d like to use something like that and will see what I can come up with!

Archived