Interesting stuffs about this new forum

taverr

did-you-know-this-about-light-bulbs-and-led-lamps-hRSCfS-clipart.thumb.jpg.64092cc1cd57c608e12c7d8f89881dae.jpg

This is a list of few things I discovered about this new forum.

Sure facts -

1. The forum platform is Discourse.
  2. You can see the profile pictures of the topic participants in below/beside a thread. If it has more than the default set pictures then - the 1st one will be the OP’s, then random 3/the first 3 posters and at last the last poster’s.
  3. The default badges are still the same.(Just one extra badge added for the fiverr staffs).
  4. Forum editor supports both BB and HTML codes.
  5. If you click on the last post text present in the box below the OP, it will zap you to the last post.
  6. You can do anything while replying in the editor box, view a difft. topic, search etc but when you click reply, it will get posted in the correct place.
  7. You can keep the mouse away with this forum. (Heads up to the cool keyboard shortcuts.)
  8. This new forum has an anonymous posting mode, but it is currently disabled.
  9. It uses “Akismet” spam blocking. (Very nice choice!)
  10. The forum can track how many and which-which posts you read.
  11. If the OP of a topic is online, the profile picture of him/her in the box present below the topic name will have a blue border around it.
  12. Replacing “forum.fiverr.com/t/[post_title][post_ID]” to “forum.fiverr.com/raw/[post_ID]” represents with you a minimial layout of the forum.
  13. Want to shorten a topic URL? Simply convert the forum post URL from “http://forum.fiverr.com/t/[post_title]/[post_ID]” to “forum.fiverr.com/t/-/[post_ID]”.
  14. Want an animated dropdown spoiler? Use this markdown code - [details=CLICK HERE!]Thanks for clicking![/details]
  15. This new forum tracks user behaviour as well and can generate notices for staff/mods. Based on that, staff/mods can choose to disregard or observe certain activities, users, topics etc.
  16. Fiverr is not currently self-hosting this forum but instead paying Discourse for the hosting.
  17. This forum runs with PostgreSQL instead of with MySQL.
  18. This is Discourse 1.7.0 beta 10.

Tips -
Discourse Meta forum has more extensive information about this new forum. 😉

I will post much more things about the limits and settings of this new forum(as it is being said that it is currently in default) by setting up one installation in my local server if I see interest in this topic…

If you can add more interesting stuffs regarding this new forum, you are more than welcome! 🙂

Disclaimer - I don`t gurantee that these informations I gave above is 100% correct.

Sure facts -

2. You can see the profile pictures of the topic participants in below/beside a thread. If it has more than the default set pictures then - the 1st one will be the OP’s, then random 3/the first 3 posters and at last the last poster’s.
  3. The default badges are still the same.(Just one extra badge added for the fiverr staffs).
  5. If you click on the last post text present in the box below the OP, it will zap you to the last post.
  6. You can do anything while replying in the editor box, view a difft. topic, search etc but when you click reply, it will get posted in the correct place.
  7. You can keep the mouse away with this forum. (Heads up to the cool keyboard shortcuts.)
  11. If the OP of a topic is online, the profile picture of him/her in the box present below the topic name will have a blue border around it.
  12. Replacing “forum.fiverr.com/t/[post_title][post_ID]” to “forum.fiverr.com/raw/[post_ID]” represents with you a minimial layout of the forum.
  13. Want to shorten a topic URL? Simply convert the forum post URL from “http://forum.fiverr.com/t/[post_title]/[post_ID]” to “forum.fiverr.com/t/-/[post_ID]”.
  14. Want an animated dropdown spoiler? Use this markdown code - [details=CLICK HERE!]Thanks for clicking![/details]
  15. This new forum tracks user behaviour as well and can generate notices for staff/mods. Based on that, staff/mods can choose to disregard or observe certain activities, users, topics etc.
  16. Fiverr is not currently self-hosting this forum but instead paying Discourse for the hosting.

Tips -

I will post much more things about the limits and settings of this new forum(as it is being said that it is currently in default) by setting up one installation in my local server if I see interest in this topic…

If you can add more interesting stuffs regarding this new forum, you are more than welcome! 🙂

Disclaimer - I don`t gurantee that these informations I gave above is 100% correct.

There is some relation of a guy named *********

‘Some relation’ would be an understatement. ****** is a full time programmer who works at Discourse. I know him from somewhere else. (He is on payroll but they allowed him to stay in India). Best of both worlds.

All the other information is accurate. It does use PostgreSQL, but let’s not hate on MySQL. It has some features like hybrid database management which are different than MySQL, but all of those features can only be brought to use for applications which have million(s) of daily users. But, yes, PostgreSQL allows for a more intrusive tracking of user behavior than one could do with MySQL, but even that tracking is only useful if that tracking is followed up with customized content targeting (like adverts), which we don’t have on Fiverr forum. All other things being equal, the same Discourse forum on a MySQL database would have been equally fast.

The drawback of PostgreSQL is that the user experience of users will vary based on THEIR computer’s specifications. This applies to all NoSQL databases. All the heavy lifting burden is put on the client side so those with better computers will get their content faster, those on slower computers or low end smart phones will get it slower. This doesn’t happen in MySQL since all queries are processed on the serverside before content is sent out. UX is consistent for MySQL.

There is some relation of a guy named *********

‘Some relation’ would be an understatement. ****** is a full time programmer who works at Discourse. I know him from somewhere else. (He is on payroll but they allowed him to stay in India). Best of both worlds.

All the other information is accurate. It does use PostgreSQL, but let’s not hate on MySQL. It has some features like hybrid database management which are different than MySQL, but all of those features can only be brought to use for applications which have million(s) of daily users. But, yes, PostgreSQL allows for a more intrusive tracking of user behavior than one could do with MySQL, but even that tracking is only useful if that tracking is followed up with customized content targeting (like adverts), which we don’t have on Fiverr forum. All other things being equal, the same Discourse forum on a MySQL database would have been equally fast.

The drawback of PostgreSQL is that the user experience of users will vary based on THEIR computer’s specifications. This applies to all NoSQL databases. All the heavy lifting burden is put on the client side so those with better computers will get their content faster, those on slower computers or low end smart phones will get it slower. This doesn’t happen in MySQL since all queries are processed on the serverside before content is sent out. UX is consistent for MySQL.

Thanks for this update @silkroute

Btw Fiverr has pretty nifty servers though! So, using PostgreSQL wouldn`t affect much…

What I found very interesting, and haven´t seen in this way ever before on a forum I used, is that there´s no real difference between actual forum posts and personal messages.
I was checking 3 times before I sent a PM to someone the first time, because it looked right as if I would be posting publicly on the forum. And you get those same functions in a PM conversation, like the heart for liking a pm you get, or even editing your message, which seems a bit weird to me in PMs. But I really like the great functionality of the new forum! And it´s fast! lol

Thanks for that list, I can see 6. being very useful.

What I found very interesting, and haven´t seen in this way ever before on a forum I used, is that there´s no real difference between actual forum posts and personal messages.

I was checking 3 times before I sent a PM to someone the first time, because it looked right as if I would be posting publicly on the forum. And you get those same functions in a PM conversation, like the heart for liking a pm you get, or even editing your message, which seems a bit weird to me in PMs. But I really like the great functionality of the new forum! And it´s fast! lol

Just the difference is that these likes will not get counted in the public profile… 🙂

Thanks for this update @silkroute

Btw Fiverr has pretty nifty servers though! So, using PostgreSQL wouldn`t affect much…

Fiverr has pretty nifty servers though!

That’s not what it felt like when we were using the old forum. 😌

The current forum is clearly an upgrade. It’s Discourse 1.7.0.beta10 😉

Thanks for starting this thread. Here’s a few more magic tricks from my side :

You can simply view the raw text of a post, and get rid of all the fancy bells and whistles, if you are into minimalism. Just change the URL structure of any forum page from forum.fiverr.com/t/[post_title][post_ID] to forum.fiverr.com/raw/[post_ID]

Here’s an example :

Untitled.thumb.jpg.d7692ad3aa911d7d3895c8f25f709c1f.jpg

Raw : http://forum.fiverr.com/raw/95145/

Untitled.thumb.jpg.2c63894c2a32c931899473b3d77432a7.jpg

Fiverr has pretty nifty servers though!

That’s not what it felt like when we were using the old forum. 😌

The current forum is clearly an upgrade. It’s Discourse 1.7.0.beta10 😉

Thanks for starting this thread. Here’s a few more magic tricks from my side :

You can simply view the raw text of a post, and get rid of all the fancy bells and whistles, if you are into minimalism. Just change the URL structure of any forum page from forum.fiverr.com/t/[post_title][post_ID] to forum.fiverr.com/raw/[post_ID]

Here’s an example :

Raw : http://forum.fiverr.com/raw/95145/

Wow. Definitely including this in the OP. 😊

Just the difference is that these likes will not get counted in the public profile… 🙂

You sure? As I´m pretty sure on my first new forum day both forum posts and PMs were counting against my limit lol I couldn´t reply to 2 of the PMs I´d gotten because of my limit. 😉

Wow. Definitely including this in the OP. 😊

Sure. I am going to add some more.

Here’s another,

You can shorten forum URLs without using a third party URL shortener like Bitly. Simply covert the forum post URL from http://forum.fiverr.com/t/[post_title]/[post_ID] to forum.fiverr.com/t/-/[post_ID]

So, this : The Holiday Season - Like It or Hate It?

https://dub1.discourse-cdn.com/fiverr/uploads/default//optimized/2X/7/7939febb4aef2d07a05a3648ecd3d62a6689011e_1_690x422.jpg

Is the same as this : The Holiday Season - Like It or Hate It?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.48805cf8de484ecb45fb6c2c074d12b3.jpg

Sure facts -

Tips -

This forum tracks user behaviour to fight spam as well.

I can confirm this. User behavior is automatically tracked and can generate notices for staff/mods. Based on that, staff/mods can choose to disregard or observe certain activities, users, topics,etc.

I will post much more things about the limits and settings of this new forum

Please take care not to post anything about specific people by name or anything that may lead to abuse of the system. Otherwise this is interesting and may be helpful.

This forum tracks user behaviour to fight spam as well.

I can confirm this. User behavior is automatically tracked and can generate notices for staff/mods. Based on that, staff/mods can choose to disregard or observe certain activities, users, topics,etc.

I will post much more things about the limits and settings of this new forum

Please take care not to post anything about specific people by name or anything that may lead to abuse of the system. Otherwise this is interesting and may be helpful.

@fonthaunt Thanks for correcting me.

I had removed the 2nd point mentioning the name.

Sure! I will take care of that. 🙂

@miiila. It appears that forum PMs are identical in function to posts/replies. Posts are public while PMs are only visible to those invited to view. I would use caution since PMs are easily converted to public posts and are tracked by the system like any other forum post.

@fonthaunt Thanks for correcting me.

I had removed the 2nd point mentioning the name.

Sure! I will take care of that. 🙂

@taverr. It’s not a huge deal, people would find it, but I’d rather avoid it since some users may misunderstand and think he is a person to contact directly for Fiverr/forum help. 🙂

Users should continue to contact Fiverr Customer Support for Fiverr issues.

@taverr. It’s not a huge deal, people would find it, but I’d rather avoid it since some users may misunderstand and think he is a person to contact directly for Fiverr/forum help. 🙂

Users should continue to contact Fiverr Customer Support for Fiverr issues.

I understand… 🙂

I just found his name in the Badges->Leaders but came to know that he isn`t a forum/fiverr staff. So, out of curiosity I just searched a bit about him.

@fonthaunt, do you know anything about this-

Fiverr is not currently self-hosting this forum but instead paying Discourse for the hosting.

I found that the images links are being cached by Discourse CDN instead of Fiverr`s Amazon CDN.

Archived