Is fiverr trying to reinvent itself?

newsmike

There’s been so much change lately. First the purge of bogus gigs after the phone verification phase to try to rid the platform of those who scam their country of origin. Then the algo tests, after which we’ve seen so much change. I think of @jamesbulls being kicked off such a successful gig? He made a fairly compelling case that it seems fiverr is moving away from the (as he calls them woo-woo gigs). Could it be that fiverr is intentionally moving away from the gigs that are not hard graphic design, music, writing and editing gigs? Perhaps they feel that gigs like “I will send you pictures of my feet” or “I will blow up a balloon until it breaks” may make fiverr look not as professional to the ad agencies and more serious buyers out there? Pewdiepie at YouTube did a fair amount of damage too. Seems that right after that episode, the endless remaking of fiverr really stepped up. I’m not sure we’ve seen the dust settle yet.

The phone tests did nothing to stop those who try to ‘scam’ their location. I used a Swedish number and my location remains British. Although, to be fair, I think that is because I have already sent my passport to Fiverr proving I am British.

The phone tests did nothing to stop those who try to ‘scam’ their location.

But it would be fair to say that they were attempting to reign it in. There is always a way around anything.

I just hope what happened to James does not happen again. That incident almost left me in tears. [These are real people with real families. We can’t control what Fiverr does or doesn’t do. But please let’s avoid making such flippant commentaries on them- our fellow sellers.]

There’s been so much change lately. First the purge of bogus gigs after the phone verification phase to try to rid the platform of those who scam their country of origin. Then the algo tests, after which we’ve seen so much change. I think of @jamesbulls being kicked off such a successful gig? He made a fairly compelling case that it seems fiverr is moving away from the (as he calls them woo-woo gigs). Could it be that fiverr is intentionally moving away from the gigs that are not hard graphic design, music, writing and editing gigs? Perhaps they feel that gigs like “I will send you pictures of my feet” or “I will blow up a balloon until it breaks” may make fiverr look not as professional to the ad agencies and more serious buyers out there? Pewdiepie at YouTube did a fair amount of damage too. Seems that right after that episode, the endless remaking of fiverr really stepped up. I’m not sure we’ve seen the dust settle yet.

He made a fairly compelling case that it seems fiverr is moving away from the (as he calls them woo-woo gigs

No. People start out in the woo woo sections before moving on to the other sections IF they need them, but continue to keep coming back to the woo woo section.

I can’t tell you how many clients I’ve had who read about me somewhere and purchased my gigs and eventually got the idea to take a look at the other sections when they had needs for other things.

We’ve seen Youtube clowns who come exclusively to the woo woo section to have some fun. Do the buy a resume for fun? Do they buy search engine optimization for fun?

Does it even occur to people to come to fiverr for those things? No. They all arrive first at the Woo Woo section.

Our section is the one that leads people in out of curiosity. And also it may be the one that 1. has the MOST satisfied happy clients, and 2. has the MOST repeat clients.

I’m tired of our section being put down when it actually is the leader in so many ways.

He made a fairly compelling case that it seems fiverr is moving away from the (as he calls them woo-woo gigs

No. People start out in the woo woo sections before moving on to the other sections IF they need them, but continue to keep coming back to the woo woo section.

I can’t tell you how many clients I’ve had who read about me somewhere and purchased my gigs and eventually got the idea to take a look at the other sections when they had needs for other things.

We’ve seen Youtube clowns who come exclusively to the woo woo section to have some fun. Do the buy a resume for fun? Do they buy search engine optimization for fun?

Does it even occur to people to come to fiverr for those things? No. They all arrive first at the Woo Woo section.

Our section is the one that leads people in out of curiosity. And also it may be the one that 1. has the MOST satisfied happy clients, and 2. has the MOST repeat clients.

I’m tired of our section being put down when it actually is the leader in so many ways.

Exactly - it is your section that makes Fiverr, Fiverr. It is Fiverr’s USP, that’s what gets Fiverr talked about, the sort of advertising that no money can buy…and I don’t think Fiverr will want to get rid of that.

There are entire blogs and chat rooms dedicated to fiverr’s woowoo section. I was just reading one today. People TALK about us, compare us and have long non stop conversations about the people in the Astrology and Psychic section of fiverr.

I don’t see entire sites dedicated to any other sections of fiverr.

Also buyers jump around from seller to seller in the Astrology and Psychic section probably more than any other section, trying out various sellers.

What was jamesbulls successful gig? And how come he’s not on Fiverr anymore? I went to his page and saw “This page is no longer available.”

Did he deleted his account out of frustration with Fiverr?

I think Fiverr is flexible enough to allow a wide variety of gigs, I have never seen another platform that is so flexible. For example, if you write e-mails for a living, but don’t want to offer your clients keywords or other things Fiverr suggests, you don’t have to. As long as your gig doesn’t violate the terms of service, you should be fine.

Besides, Fiverr’s competitors are crap. There’s one that’s only focused on graphic designers. What good is that? It isn’t. Fiverr became a one-stop destination for anything and everything. I can order a logo, a video of Indians dancing, a crank call, a TV commercial, a legal contract, get advice about financing, law, accounting, there’s even a gig for people who want to join the military. The more Fiverr grows, the more sellers will be found and make money.

By the way, what are the woowoo gigs?

What was jamesbulls successful gig? And how come he’s not on Fiverr anymore? I went to his page and saw “This page is no longer available.”

I think Fiverr is flexible enough to allow a wide variety of gigs, I have never seen another platform that is so flexible. For example, if you write e-mails for a living, but don’t want to offer your clients keywords or other things Fiverr suggests, you don’t have to. As long as your gig doesn’t violate the terms of service, you should be fine.

Besides, Fiverr’s competitors are crap. There’s one that’s only focused on graphic designers. What good is that? It isn’t. Fiverr became a one-stop destination for anything and everything. I can order a logo, a video of Indians dancing, a crank call, a TV commercial, a legal contract, get advice about financing, law, accounting, there’s even a gig for people who want to join the military. The more Fiverr grows, the more sellers will be found and make money.

Oh my, I just saw that jamesbulls has no Fiverr profile anymore 😢 I think he decided to delete his profile after Fiverr removed his top selling gig if I remember correctly…

Let a million flowers bloom, as one great man once said.

Oh my, I just saw that jamesbulls has no Fiverr profile anymore 😢 I think he decided to delete his profile after Fiverr removed his top selling gig if I remember correctly…

That’s too bad. If you have 10 gigs and Fiverr deletes 1, is that a reason to quit the platform? I don’t think so. Even if Fiverr deleted my #1 gig I would still be here. Then again, I don’t think that will happen because that gig doesn’t violate the terms of service in any way.

Was his gig about book reviews or reviews in general? Those gigs are no longer worth it, they don’t make enough money and eventually get deleted.

Best thing to do is read those terms of service, stay legally compliant, and choose when to deliver work that becomes part of your live portfolio and when not to.

That’s too bad. If you have 10 gigs and Fiverr deletes 1, is that a reason to quit the platform? I don’t think so. Even if Fiverr deleted my #1 gig I would still be here. Then again, I don’t think that will happen because that gig doesn’t violate the terms of service in any way.

Was his gig about book reviews or reviews in general? Those gigs are no longer worth it, they don’t make enough money and eventually get deleted.

Best thing to do is read those terms of service, stay legally compliant, and choose when to deliver work that becomes part of your live portfolio and when not to.

He had only one gig on Satanic reading…it was incredibly popular, and he invested a lot into it. Was the #1 result on Google for “satanic reading”.

Best thing to do is read those terms of service, stay legally compliant

James always did that, and I think the problem was due to a gray area in those terms, since I don’t remember seeing any specific terms regarding his gig. Or maybe I’m mistaken…

His forum profile is still there, you can read his last topic, which covers the ‘story’. I think what Woofy said was the crux of the matter - the gig was good enough for years and suddenly not anymore.
Which, indeed, makes it relevant to the thread.

James was one of the most professional sellers (and nicest guys) I have met on Fiverr. I still cannot believe his gig was deleted after 2 years and something like 2500 sales without any real explanation and the advice to just “try again”.

It’s shocking to me that someone can be treated in that way and honestly, made me reassess a lot of things. While the service was not something I would buy, it was clearly popular and he had amazing reviews. I cannot see the logic or reasoning for it - James had sent me his gig text as we were discussing things about marketing and aside from ONE small thing which I suggested he take out (my subjective opinion, not breaking any rule I can see) the gigs were perfectly clear and acceptable by the ToS. He was the epitome of a DOER and deserved more than the treatment he received.

He had only one gig on Satanic reading…it was incredibly popular, and he invested a lot into it. Was the #1 result on Google for “satanic reading”.

That’s really unfair, I’ve seen a lot of gigs about different religions, Satanism isn’t my coup of tea, but if people want a Satanic reading they should be allowed to get it.

By the way, I found a description of James’ gig on the forum. I’m sharing it for those who don’t know him.

favicon.icoFiverr Forum bd629f33bd.png

I will give you a Satanic Tarot card reading!

Get the right answers, right now. Purchase my gig today and I'll give you a complete reading for your specific question and deliver the best answer the first time. I'll even give you my money-back guarantee: if you don't understand your reading, I'll...

• 1 month later...

There are entire blogs and chat rooms dedicated to fiverr’s woowoo section. I was just reading one today. People TALK about us, compare us and have long non stop conversations about the people in the Astrology and Psychic section of fiverr.

I don’t see entire sites dedicated to any other sections of fiverr.

Also buyers jump around from seller to seller in the Astrology and Psychic section probably more than any other section, trying out various sellers.

That is very true, I know I do but after awhile you start to see who is actually worth working with. I know I am at a point I finally am starting to stabilize who I go to but I have been here for about 10 months so it took me awhile to get to that point. Now I might try one new person a month but I have a feeling that’s going to stop soon. I think a lot has to do with we buyers who look into those things want a certain answer and with so many fakes it’s so hard even with the reviews. I have 2 witches I trust and 3 physics. I am pretty sure for me this is getting to my stopping point as to what I want. I am also learning a lot of the real ones our active on the forms and care about there clients not to say none active people don’t but just something I have learned.

I liked the funny gigs like “I dive in my pool with a helmet and hold your sign under water” and this kind of stuff.
I once hired a guy who did a great mobster impersonation for one of my Youtube channels.
In the time when this gigs were the first popping into sight, there wasn’t such a clutter of scammers who only came for a fast buck they never made.

But yes, they are reinventing themselves. It’s a process everybody needs to do all of the time.

Archived