Of that Promise of "long term work"

chicagowriter

…run do not engage, I repeat run! You will never find a professional who offers you tenure without first hand knowledge of your work ethics and abilities.Like why? what have you done to deserve that almighty promise the very first time you meet? If a buyer comes to you with a job and a promise of more work to follow, he or she is probably trying to tap into your emotional core and guilty you into working like a D!

Simply put, its a carrot on a stick kind of scenario, one thats likely to leave you feeling used and dejected.

Granted, its not all buyers who use this blackmail tactic, but why risk it? Professional buyers will come back for more if they like your work without having made any prior promises of “long term relations”

Personally I’m a one night stand kinda guy…commitment sucks at times, be careful new seller, don’t let them pull one over you!

Most of my buyers who promise to come back always come back. The trick is when a buyer tells you that they will come back and ask for a discount I simply tell the"sure I will give you a discount because I always discount my repeat clients, but you are not a repeat client you are a first time buyer meaning you will have to top all fees in the gig, the discount will only apply to your fifth order"

I don´t think promising someone a long term working relationship before you even did one gig for them is an especially good sign either, if you did a gig for someone and they liked your work, and the ‘working atmosphere’ is okay, ‘commitment’ is fine for me, especially when it´s literary work and I get to work with the author directly, but I neither expect nor need nor even especially like promises, especially those made for ‘tactical’ reasons like mentioned in the OP.
Some people will come again when they liked your work and style and communication and all, some will come again if they liked your prices and nothing else matters to them, some if all of that is in the right balance for them, it depends, and different things work for different people I guess.

my first ever repeat buyer came from nowhere without having made any prior promises. Then I had another buyer who was impressed with work done so they sort of promised to keep coming back for more similar work, that just was the worst relationship I have ever had on fiver!! It started off nice and professional, until the client began requesting for small “favors” whenever they placed an order, long story short we ended up having a fall out when I couldn’t deliver some of the “favors” they requested.

These buyers who say they will be on it for many orders IF the first one is amazing are always a red flag to me. The “if” is tacky and I put out my best work for everyone, so I’m not going to do something special over an if. When I provide there buyers with my usual work, some return and many don’t. I think the ones that don’t were hoping for a free extra article or something. They often don’t even leave a review.

This is a red flag for me too. I always do the same quality work for everyone, and I almost never offer repeat discounts or favours, though my regular customers get a lot of free consultancy.

Having said that, sometimes a buyer might say they have other work if this one works out genuinely, letting you know that they’re trying you out because they’re looking for a long term relationship. You have to judge the tone of their message.

Beside the promise of “Long Term Work”, I’ve had several clients state on the review of the order as,
Blah blah blah, awesome, blah, will be coming back for future work.

Now they don’t necessarily come BACK, but it does leave a good impression for future potential clients.

This is a red flag for me too. I always do the same quality work for everyone, and I almost never offer repeat discounts or favours, though my regular customers get a lot of free consultancy.

Having said that, sometimes a buyer might say they have other work if this one works out genuinely, letting you know that they’re trying you out because they’re looking for a long term relationship. You have to judge the tone of their message.

Yes, I think too that there are legit reasons for buyers to test the water. If you really want to work with a specific seller, you might want to find out if they’d ‘reserve some time’ for your projects regularly and such and does not automatically have to do with wanting special prices or extras or whatever. It´s nuances, as you say you need to judge individually, of course one can misjudge too, and keeping the balance can be a tightrope walk or in cases like chicagowriter described ‘end in a fall-out’, but then I guess that goes for pretty much all relations, if on or off fiver…

Today’s little ray of sunshine in my inbox:

I’ll likely have to hire a designer after the content is completed so I don’t have a large budget. Are you interested in checking out my progress and deciding from that point?

Unfortunately, I was too busy to do a) the free checking out of the progress and b) figure out what the meager budget was as compared to the megabux for the designer. Who I bet gets the same message. Nope, nope, nope. Negotiation skills of a gnat!

I only believe clients if they are concrete about the other work.

If I am asked to write an ‘about us’ section for a website and they mention that maybe I can write something about the products as well (and maybe there are even blank pages with products on the website), I believe them. If they just mention that there’s more work in the future, I don’t believe them.

…run do not engage, I repeat run! You will never find a professional who offers you tenure without first hand knowledge of your work ethics and abilities.Like why? what have you done to deserve that almighty promise the very first time you meet? If a buyer comes to you with a job and a promise of more work to follow, he or she is probably trying to tap into your emotional core and guilty you into working like a D!

Simply put, its a carrot on a stick kind of scenario, one thats likely to leave you feeling used and dejected.

Granted, its not all buyers who use this blackmail tactic, but why risk it? Professional buyers will come back for more if they like your work without having made any prior promises of “long term relations”

Personally I’m a one night stand kinda guy…commitment sucks at times, be careful new seller, don’t let them pull one over you!

what have you done to deserve that almighty promise the very first time you meet

😊 if you Gig description is really god, I guess?

Returning customers don’t need to promise they will

Fact, very insightful.

what have you done to deserve that almighty promise the very first time you meet

Returning customers don’t need to promise they will

Fact, very insightful.

5785_1.png fivergraphics5:

Well, I think the most I´ve seen those promises are on Buyer Request posts so they´d not have seen anyone´s profile yet 😉

It takes two to tango. As a buyer I want to know as much about the writer as I can. Just because you put out a really good sounding response, and a picture of you does not mean your a literary genius. I have hired before, only to have received what I thought was going to be extremely good text, only to find that it seemed to have been written by a freshman in high school. I went ahead and gave my writer a 5 star and a thank you. Don’t want any headaches. There are a few good business peeps such as myself that will give more work long term but you better deliver a masterpiece. When I have people write for our website they better do the research on my topic, because it will show and if it does not reach my clients then the writing goes in the trash.

It takes two to tango. As a buyer I want to know as much about the writer as I can. Just because you put out a really good sounding response, and a picture of you does not mean your a literary genius. I have hired before, only to have received what I thought was going to be extremely good text, only to find that it seemed to have been written by a freshman in high school. I went ahead and gave my writer a 5 star and a thank you. Don’t want any headaches. There are a few good business peeps such as myself that will give more work long term but you better deliver a masterpiece. When I have people write for our website they better do the research on my topic, because it will show and if it does not reach my clients then the writing goes in the trash.

Ah, that’s a $100 gig extra. Do look me up!

Most of my buyers who promise to come back always come back. The trick is when a buyer tells you that they will come back and ask for a discount I simply tell the"sure I will give you a discount because I always discount my repeat clients, but you are not a repeat client you are a first time buyer meaning you will have to top all fees in the gig, the discount will only apply to your fifth order"

@phantompower: Each time I see your ‘face’, I feel like “ghosts really do exist… oh no! they work on fiverr too” (Maybe I shoulda created a thread for that. Sorry guys!)

Per the topic, it really depends on the context. I’ve got many a client who started out on the low end (with a promise of more work, of course!), became repeat buyers, and steadily increased their pay. In this case, they got their discount as starters, not regulars. But, true! some use that as a means to milk you dry, at little or no cost.

Personally, I think, casting all who come with the “promise” line as bad buyers…makes you a bad seller.

Archived