Vacation mode... But I'm not going on holiday!

roskopeeko

I lost a client this weekend, so I wanted to highlight this again in its own thread in the hope of plenty of likes and support…

‘Vacation mode’ is a hindrance more than help, not because of what it is, but simply because of its name.

I frequently mark as away on the weekends - I’m a full time voice over artist and I’m in my studio all hours that god sends during the week, and my weekend is sacred, so I often mark as ‘away’ in the only way offered ‘vacation mode’. Even if I opt for the ‘i’ll be back shortly’ or '‘i’m overbooked’ caveat, VACATION mode is set and that’s what people see.

When I mark as back, the amount of people who have asked me how my vacation was as if I’m off trekking the Himalayas over and over at any given drop of a hat, is ridiculous.

Well, this came to a head this morning when I returned to work after Saturday and Sunday off to be with my family and a client who I’d spoken to days earlier and provided a bespoke demo to (and who had a significant budget for a significant piece of work) dropped me a line having seen the ominous VACATION MODE was set with:
“Since I am quite in a rush, I contacted another actor for this job. have a nice vacation, and let’s work together another time!” He’s seen my setting, and hired someone else. Now, he may well have done this whether he knew I was back at the coal face on Monday or not, but seeing someone is ‘on vacation’ is off-putting without question, and you’d immediately seek help elsewhere as we all want our work done sooner rather than potentially when so and so comes back from the Caribbean or wherever springs to the imagination!

Please rethink this setting - it isn’t correct. We are not off on a cruise around The Med or snorkelling in The Red Sea. It’s pure semantics, and semantics in sales is important. I just want to be on WEEKEND mode or something similar.

See my other thread about an auto setting that switches off the 24 hour extra for weekends

Thanks!

Well, I do animation videos and I had two voice over artists to work with. One is doing the British accent and the other doing the American. Anyway, last week the one who is doing the British accent went for a “vacation” for 4 days, and during that I had many orders. What should I do? Waiting for him until he gets back? Well I need to finish my videos in three days 😕
So yes, I found another one and since then I did not buy from him again.

You can say I am like your “buyer”, it is about business here and we want it done. For me as a buyer, I don’t care what is me seller is doing, he is just away and can’t deliver the work! So I go for another one.

BTW, what accent do you do 😉

Well, I do animation videos and I had two voice over artists to work with. One is doing the British accent and the other doing the American. Anyway, last week the one who is doing the British accent went for a “vacation” for 4 days, and during that I had many orders. What should I do? Waiting for him until he gets back? Well I need to finish my videos in three days 😕

So yes, I found another one and since then I did not buy from him again.

You can say I am like your “buyer”, it is about business here and we want it done. For me as a buyer, I don’t care what is me seller is doing, he is just away and can’t deliver the work! So I go for another one.

BTW, what accent do you do 😉

I’m not suggesting you wait until your voice over gets back, neither am I suggesting my client waited until I got back. I’m saying that if a client sees the word ‘vacation’ he or she have every right to assume that the seller has cleared off. Possibly for weeks. I simply down tools over the weekend, but there’s no way of communicating that.

I have many regular clients away from Fiverr, none of whom expect or indeed want communication over the weekend. If I ever was to go away on a genuine ‘vacation’, I give them warning.

It’s the use of the word ‘vacation’ that doesn’t work.

Guest yourcgbuddy

There you go - it’s even more than just the language used - this screams “don’t bother waiting for them, they’re sleeping under a palm tree… In Hawaii!”

Even if you are hit by a hurricane, this is what your buyer would see

• 8 months later...

I think it would be great to add one button for Sellers that would trigger the suspension of the 24 hours deliver feature on all gigs. I’m thinking it would be similar to the Out-Of-Office/Vacation button, but instead of temporarily suspending all gigs it would just affect the 24 Hour Delivery Gig Extra.

This would be great for those of us who plan a day of activities. It never fails I get so many questions from Buyers about my gig extras but no one ever asks if it’s ok to order the 24-hour delivery 😀

It’s just… Boom! … there it is!

I think it would be great to add one button for Sellers that would trigger the suspension of the 24 hours deliver feature on all gigs. I’m thinking it would be similar to the Out-Of-Office/Vacation button, but instead of temporarily suspending all gigs it would just affect the 24 Hour Delivery Gig Extra.

This would be great for those of us who plan a day of activities. It never fails I get so many questions from Buyers about my gig extras but no one ever asks if it’s ok to order the 24-hour delivery 😀

You could solve this quite easily by not offering 24-hour delivery. 😉

You could solve this quite easily by not offering 24-hour delivery. 😉

I have wished I could take advantage of the 24h delivery filter when I’m free, but I’m always afraid the moment I offer it for a single day, my (ill) Dad will have a fall and I’ll be able to contact a buyer but possibly not in time to get an extension. I don’t know about a disable button, but I do wish there was something in between. Even having filters go from 24h to 2 days to 3 days might help with really panicky buyers who would have more sellers to choose from with a 2 day filter or maybe a 36hr filter. Something like that… (Rambling now - good night!)

I think that would be an interesting feature for people who have like 15-20 gigs or so. Imagine the need to disable the 24-hour ExtraFast on each & every gig because of some real life problem that would prevent a seller from delivering that fast any longer - it would take so much time to do that on each gig!

I found myself in situations where I had problems that would prevent me from offering 24-hour deliveries, but where I could still do the regular 3-day deliveries, and I had to go through each gig to disable those ExtraFasts, which was annoying with the handful of gigs I have, so I imagine how it is for those who have 15-20 gigs 😱

Yes I’m well aware that I could do it manually. Not as easy as it sounds when you make the decision and all you have is your smartphone. So a quick disabling of the feature would be awesome.

I feel that if I permanently remove the 24 hour delivery option it will give my competitors an advantage. There’s that new note that pops up on searches that reads “Get it by Tomorrow, Jun 4” - So I’m always walking a fine line between personal family time and freelance business time.

Yes I’m well aware that I could do it manually. Not as easy as it sounds when you make the decision and all you have is your smartphone. So a quick disabling of the feature would be awesome.

I feel that if I permanently remove the 24 hour delivery option it will give my competitors an advantage. There’s that new note that pops up on searches that reads “Get it by Tomorrow, Jun 4” - So I’m always walking a fine line between personal family time and freelance business time.

I’ve placed a message in my gig description requesting that buyers contact me before ordering, and about 90% of them have been compliant.

I’ve conceded that most successful sellers here lack a healthy work/life balance 😄 When you wake up in the middle of the night to answer messages, you know you have a problem.

I’ve placed a message in my gig description requesting that buyers contact me before ordering, and about 90% of them have been compliant.

I’ve conceded that most successful sellers here lack a healthy work/life balance 😄 When you wake up in the middle of the night to answer messages, you know you have a problem.

I really like this idea. I’m going to try it - thanks! 😀

I workaround I am trying is having a single gig exclusively focused on 24 hour delivery. It is a new gig. But, I am pleased with how it has performed so far. I like that if I have an issue, i can easily pause a gig and not have to reenter a bunch of information when I unpause it, like you do when you select extra-fast delivery as a gig extra.

Totally feeling you. I’ve raised the whole 24 hour thing a couple of times. Want to offer it most of the time, but sometimes, because life, it needs to be switched off… This thread has my ideas on it, but it doesn’t cover a temporary pause like you suggest. Think the whole 24 hour thing needs to be looked at and evaluated based on people with lives! 24 Hour Delivery - No respect for weekends

Archived