Your First Gig!

otmanzaib

Hello I’m member since 2016 but I just launched my first gig
Mod note: Link removed. Gig Links are only allowed in the My Fiverr Gigs category and as you are asking for info, the conversations category is more relevant.

For you guys who have successful career here,
How did you get started? How did you got your first gig ?
Since Fiverr don’t promote new sellers and there are a ton of people offering their services I find it impossible to get an order.

please share your experiences !

Hello I’m member since 2016 but I just launched my first gig

Mod note: Link removed. Gig Links are only allowed in the My Fiverr Gigs category and as you are asking for info, the conversations category is more relevant.

For you guys who have successful career here,

How did you get started? How did you got your first gig ?

Since Fiverr don’t promote new sellers and there are a ton of people offering their services I find it impossible to get an order.

please share your experiences !

Fiverr absolutely promote new sellers - take a look around the forum at all the established sellers complaining about new sellers showing up higher in results than those with thousands of reviews. It is up to you to catch the buyer’s eye, give them what they want and seal the deal.

I must say, I am amazed that so few website designers have a video on their gigs. Why not do a desktop video of a site you made and explain the features while showing the site. That would convince me of your competence a lot more than a stock image.

Fiverr absolutely promote new sellers - take a look around the forum at all the established sellers complaining about new sellers showing up higher in results than those with thousands of reviews. It is up to you to catch the buyer’s eye, give them what they want and seal the deal.

I must say, I am amazed that so few website designers have a video on their gigs. Why not do a desktop video of a site you made and explain the features while showing the site. That would convince me of your competence a lot more than a stock image.

I looked at the first page in my category under “RECOMMENDED” and over half are new sellers. They have zero reviews and are the first ones you see.

I must say, I am amazed that so few website designers have a video on their gigs.

I think this happens because we tend to be more technical as people and, generally, technical people are bad at presenting and marketing themselves. Which is a pity as many of them, although very skilled, struggle to find work.

I must say, I am amazed that so few website designers have a video on their gigs.

I think this happens because we tend to be more technical as people and, generally, technical people are bad at presenting and marketing themselves. Which is a pity as many of them, although very skilled, struggle to find work.

I understand that. When I need something done that I am not good enough at, I hire someone who is good at it - either for advice or to actually do it - therefore… 🙂

EDIT: @emmaki First you need to find a way to infiltrate their lairs

I understand that. When I need something done that I am not good enough at, I hire someone who is good at it - either for advice or to actually do it - therefore… 🙂

EDIT: @emmaki First you need to find a way to infiltrate their lairs

As a nerd, I already know the way to their hearts with my knowledge of D&D and other customs.

The bigger issue here (nerd or not) isn’t so much what Fiverr’s doing. Aside from the review system, I think it’s doing a good job and it is trying to fix some horrible issues. What a lot of sellers here seem to forget is that it’s just a platform. On any given day you’ll come here and see a whine about no sells or whatever, when the reality is that for whatever reason the editorial focus has shifted. Hopefully not for long, but when it does, you have a choice: make a new gig, refocus, target BR, do some external promotion… ultimately, it’s all on the seller at the end of the day. The platform’s busy and cracking down on bad sellers. A lot of others are getting caught in the crossfire.

The biggest issue to my mind is more that people aren’t accepting their own role in all of this: it’s your business. Why on earth would anyone celebrate an automated milestone on a forum? Buy a house or a car, I feel the same way still, but there’s more reason there. But “HEY GUYS I MAKE LVL 1!” followed by “I make no sales since Level 2” is really just highlighting a very specific ignorance of how a platform serving millions works–and no, it doesn’t care about you, it cares about everyone and ultimately, its own profits.

Now, I’m a smartass, but sometimes you just gotta listen to people who know better. Whether that’s because they bullshit better than you or can code/design whatever better than you, then listen. Nerds definitely are bad (in general) at marketing. The smart ones get on with the code and let a bullshitter do the bullshit, and vice-versa.

Otherwise, you end up posting on the forum about how you can’t get a job and can Fiverr change it all for you, then getting upset later on when, oh, I don’t know, you can’t access BR or your own message box because you don’t know how it all works, all while leaning on another to help you.

I hope that Fiverr’s changes squash out a lot of this silly behavior. In the meantime, as in all business, focus on what you do best, hire someone else to do what they do best.

I do not have a robe and a wizard hat, but I can don one if required

As a nerd, I already know the way to their hearts with my knowledge of D&D and other customs.

The bigger issue here (nerd or not) isn’t so much what Fiverr’s doing. Aside from the review system, I think it’s doing a good job and it is trying to fix some horrible issues. What a lot of sellers here seem to forget is that it’s just a platform. On any given day you’ll come here and see a whine about no sells or whatever, when the reality is that for whatever reason the editorial focus has shifted. Hopefully not for long, but when it does, you have a choice: make a new gig, refocus, target BR, do some external promotion… ultimately, it’s all on the seller at the end of the day. The platform’s busy and cracking down on bad sellers. A lot of others are getting caught in the crossfire.

The biggest issue to my mind is more that people aren’t accepting their own role in all of this: it’s your business. Why on earth would anyone celebrate an automated milestone on a forum? Buy a house or a car, I feel the same way still, but there’s more reason there. But “HEY GUYS I MAKE LVL 1!” followed by “I make no sales since Level 2” is really just highlighting a very specific ignorance of how a platform serving millions works–and no, it doesn’t care about you, it cares about everyone and ultimately, its own profits.

Now, I’m a smartass, but sometimes you just gotta listen to people who know better. Whether that’s because they bullshit better than you or can code/design whatever better than you, then listen. Nerds definitely are bad (in general) at marketing. The smart ones get on with the code and let a bullshitter do the bullshit, and vice-versa.

Otherwise, you end up posting on the forum about how you can’t get a job and can Fiverr change it all for you, then getting upset later on when, oh, I don’t know, you can’t access BR or your own message box because you don’t know how it all works, all while leaning on another to help you.

I hope that Fiverr’s changes squash out a lot of this silly behavior. In the meantime, as in all business, focus on what you do best, hire someone else to do what they do best.

I do not have a robe and a wizard hat, but I can don one if required

100% agree with that.

I had a business advice gig for a while and it really infuriated me that in the space of a year - not one seller even inquired about how they could improve their business! Not 1 message! Plenty of buyers from elsewhere - places like “the real world” where it is not acceptable to expect a third party to bring you a steady stream of work or to complain because x,y,z is not in your favor so therefore someone/thing should fix it for you.

I suppose I should not be surprised when the majority of people that @blaisefaint helped spent less time working on their own business than he did for free! Then when one guy @selfors, did take his advice, he then went on to perform spectacularly and wrote a post about it the following was the result:

Thank you for all your suggestions, Blaisefaint. I made most of the changes you suggested. Now I’m buried in work.

A new seller, with a fairly unique gig and boom - I also read somewhere about a month ago, about how he had to increase his pricing repeatedly due to the amount of work he was getting - just checked now and its gone up again.

I think Blaise must have assisted roughly 7 billion people in the same way but the ones who find success are the ones who actually get stuck in and apply what they are told - the rest get what they deserve - nothing.

100% agree with that.

I had a business advice gig for a while and it really infuriated me that in the space of a year - not one seller even inquired about how they could improve their business! Not 1 message! Plenty of buyers from elsewhere - places like “the real world” where it is not acceptable to expect a third party to bring you a steady stream of work or to complain because x,y,z is not in your favor so therefore someone/thing should fix it for you.

I suppose I should not be surprised when the majority of people that @blaisefaint helped spent less time working on their own business than he did for free! Then when one guy @selfors, did take his advice, he then went on to perform spectacularly and wrote a post about it the following was the result:

Thank you for all your suggestions, Blaisefaint. I made most of the changes you suggested. Now I’m buried in work.

A new seller, with a fairly unique gig and boom - I also read somewhere about a month ago, about how he had to increase his pricing repeatedly due to the amount of work he was getting - just checked now and its gone up again.

I think Blaise must have assisted roughly 7 billion people in the same way but the ones who find success are the ones who actually get stuck in and apply what they are told - the rest get what they deserve - nothing.

I did not see the @selfors post! That was quite refreshing for once. This forum can be quite a viper’s nest sometimes (ahem).

I did not see the @selfors post! That was quite refreshing for once. This forum can be quite a viper’s nest sometimes (ahem).

It was in My Fiverr Gigs, hence you would not see it.

I could show a few others who have come from nowhere to get some orders quite quickly and they all have it in common that they actually followed Forum tips.

It was in My Fiverr Gigs, hence you would not see it.

I could show a few others who have come from nowhere to get some orders quite quickly and they all have it in common that they actually followed Forum tips.

It might be worth making a post to show that. Even put it on the blog (the editor is always looking for new and safe ideas, and this is definitely a newish and safe idea).

It won’t work of course–you’ll get “wow am inspired” posts and no action after. Such is life.

EDIT: I know you can’t put it on the blog, and I can’t be bothered to pitch it but hey skilled writers of Fiverr who can be bothered to provide free content for erm exposure there you go!

It might be worth making a post to show that. Even put it on the blog (the editor is always looking for new and safe ideas, and this is definitely a newish and safe idea).

It won’t work of course–you’ll get “wow am inspired” posts and no action after. Such is life.

EDIT: I know you can’t put it on the blog, and I can’t be bothered to pitch it but hey skilled writers of Fiverr who can be bothered to provide free content for erm exposure there you go!

I will be doing a post on it but probably somewhere else 😉

I’m going to do a forum post on my findings regarding Fiverr search results etc today/tomorrow which will deal with a good bit of this topic too. Should be useful for the more experienced sellers - Blaise has cornered the n00b market although I read somewhere that @writer99025 will be taking up that mantle soon.

I’m going to do a forum post on my findings regarding Fiverr search results etc today/tomorrow which will deal with a good bit of this topic too. Should be useful for the more experienced sellers - Blaise has cornered the n00b market although I read somewhere that @writer99025 will be taking up that mantle soon.

Unfortunately, he’s cornered the cricket market when he’s not busy shouting at brown sahib bank people, so he has better things to do.

I’d like to make a make my day punk(wallah) joke but I shall refrain from doing so.

Starting this June…

Archived