#1 Rated Seller Turns Out To Be A Lemon

Very frustrated here. I ordered an ebook cover from a #1 rated seller here on Fiverr, paid for all the extra “bells and whistles”, including 1 day delivery time. Seller claims in their profile that buyers shouldn’t let the high number of orders in the queue scare them - that they deliver on time. Ha! 24 hours after the deadline, I received a message from the seller saying, “I’m upgrading my graphics software, hang in there, I’ll have your cover shortly!”. I sent a message back asking what their definition of “shortly” was, but received no response. I cancelled the order this morning, but this has left a bad taste in my mouth. This was only my 2nd experience buying on Fiverr, and I paid far more than $5 for all the extras on this order.

Why are sellers allowed to lie like this? I’m quite certain it’s not a graphics software upgrade that delayed my order, but the fact that this seller has allowed their queue to grow too large and doesn’t know how to handle it.

A number of issues can cause a seller to become ‘very late’. Take a look at my gig. I am a Top Rated Seller also. I have received a ton of late delivery cancellations over the past week or so due to sickness (in hospital, worked a lot when I got out but cancellations still got through). Sure; there are some people out there who may be lazy and not care that much about whether orders come in through Fiverr or not, but you can be assured that top rated sellers are not amongst the lazy. Genuine issues do arise from time to time. The seller should have offered mutual cancellation (as he could have avoided negative feedback that way!), so yeah…

Of course; there are very few safeguards in place which stop a queue growing too late though. Sellers have two options:

1. 28 days of holiday through Fiverr (this is used up quite quickly)
  2. Pausing the gig. This is not an ideal thing to do as you lose your ranking in the search (and thus sales), and pausing the gig too long is actually grounds for the removal of a level.

I would understand if I had received a plausible excuse or a response to my second message asking for an ETA on my order - but using a reason like “I’m upgrading my software” and then not responding just smacks of dishonesty to me. If the seller is truly having computer issues or waiting on a software upgrade, then they should put themselves on vacation mode so as not to have unhappy customers.

I’m not trying to be a hard-a** here - I know everyone is human and makes mistakes or has issues come up that delay work - I’m a freelancer myself, so I get it. I just expected to be told honestly if the seller couldn’t complete the work in the time frame I paid for. Instead, I got an excuse, and the seller apparently expected I would just sit and wait and still pay for the 1-day turnaround time, when the turnaround was going to be 5 days or more. THAT’S what I have a problem with.

supsvcmi said: I would understand if I had received a plausible excuse or a response to my second message asking for an ETA on my order - but using a reason like "I'm upgrading my software" and then not responding just smacks of dishonesty to me. If the seller is truly having computer issues or waiting on a software upgrade, then they should put themselves on vacation mode so as not to have unhappy customers.

Vacation mode is limited. You can only use it for 28 days of the year. The only viable option is to pause a gig. When you do that however you lose your position in the search and it could kill a business if the seller is not careful.

He should have given you an accurate time though. I agree with that! Was not aware you paid for a one day turnaround (did not see it in the initial post)

Sorry to hear about this! I hope you know there are many sellers on Fiverr who do their work on time, or honestly tell you they can’t make it withing the specified time frame.

There are penalties for sellers who cancel often and/or receive many negative reviews. They can lose their ratings and levels for that.

Did you message the guy before you ordered the 24 hour extra? Sometimes stuff just gets in the way.

There are absolutely no safeguards available for sellers that have to deal with real life situations or change things “on the fly”. Yesterday someone decided to take it upon himself to order $200 worth of articles and have them all delivered in 24 hours without messaging me. Today is my birthday but guess what I’m doing today? Writing his content because Fiverr forces you to accept orders and there’s nothing you can do about it.

If his computer was in the shop or something being upgraded and he wasn’t able to get on for a full day, imagine how far behind a popular seller gets?

I write content and I have to work just about every day just to keep up with things and sometimes I still get behind. If I had to guess, I would image some of these TRS like ryangillam who are processing huge numbers of orders (with tons of gig extras and upgrades) that have to be online 15 or 16 hours a day just to stay caught up.

Something happens and they can’t work for 24 hours? Good luck trying to recover from that. But some buyers just don’t care, though.

Part of me thinks that this whole shift of Fiverr that they are doing where they are trying to make a “service as a product” type thing as if this were Amazon for services is taking the human element out of the mix.

I provide a service on Fiverr, but I am not just a product.

I am a real person, I have a wife and 2 kids, and I do whatever I can to keep my buyers as happy as possible and stay ahead of all of my deadlines… but stuff happens. Life happens. People get behind.

I don’t care if he is the #1 rated seller in his category or the #1 rated seller across the entire Fiverr marketplace, he’s still a human. You say you “get it”, but I personally don’t think that you do.

I can see how you’re upset that you paid extra for something to be done extremely quickly when you can’t get that quick delivery service, but what is he supposed to do?

He can’t send a partial refund. There is no way on Fiverr to exclude fast delivery if someone chooses extras.

What I would like is to NOT do this order and enjoy a day off for my birthday. But if I did that someone would probably cancel the order then get on the Fiverr forums and call me a lemon for not being a slave to this website.

Rant, rant, rant…