$2 comission with no return

It means that Fiverr is charging a service fee for transactions whether the order is completed or not which does make some sense as you are technically still using the service.
That said, I don’t like it either.

I suggest you voice your objection to customer support to give them proper feedback about how this change affects you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a frequent buyer here on Fiverr, have puchased gigs for more than $22k. When I started here the comission was $0.5 from $5 purchase. Now it’s $2. What is wrong with Fiverr? Why it has become 4 times more expensive in couple years? I really like how Fiverr is made, it’s very convenient, but I’m starting to search for new freelance platforms, which are not so greedy. What’s next, $5 comission for $5 gig?

I am a frequent buyer here on Fiverr, have puchased gigs for more than $22k. When I started here the comission was $0.5 from $5 purchase. Now it’s $2. What is wrong with Fiverr? Why it has become 4 times more expensive in couple years? I really like how Fiverr is made, it’s very convenient, but I’m starting to search for new freelance platforms, which are not so greedy. What’s next, $5 comission for $5 gig?

I am a frequent buyer here on Fiverr, have puchased gigs for more than $22k. When I started here the comission was $0.5 from $5 purchase

All this means is that Fiverr’s operating expenses have increased with time, and they have to raise user fees to compensate.

Think about it: when you started here, the fee was $0.50 because Fiverr as a company was not as big as it is now.

I am a frequent buyer here on Fiverr, have puchased gigs for more than $22k. When I started here the comission was $0.5 from $5 purchase. Now it’s $2

Really fiverr charges was 0.5 and now 2 usd?

Its very very shocking for me.

What is wrong with Fiverr?

Nothing is wrong. Fiverr just needs to cover their administrative costs.

Why it has become 4 times more expensive in couple years?

Fiverr is growing as a business, and the more they grow, the more they have to invest in keeping their business thriving and moving upward. Every business acquires higher costs as they grow. Fiverr is growing… thus, they need to raise fees to cover their costs.

I really like how Fiverr is made, it’s very convenient, but I’m starting to search for new freelance platforms, which are not so greedy.

Good luck in that search.

What’s next, $5 comission for $5 gig?

Seriously? Now you’re just being ridiculous. Let’s stay grounded in reality, shall we? 😉

$2 is still too much.

I believe that provoked many buyers to move to competitors’ freelance sites.

I believe that provoked many buyers to move to competitors’ freelance sites.

Maybe. However, I don’t necessarily see it as a bad thing.

If you have thousands of bucks to spend, maybe so.

But for many buyers it was a “fiver” thng - cheap, quick, and easy.

Many people have tight budget on things. And some extra fee, especially a big one, such as $2 can give big inconvenience for them.

But for many buyers it was a “fiver” thng - cheap, quick, and easy.

The keyword here is WAS.

Fiverr is going in a different direction. Maybe it’s time for someone else to handle those smaller orders.

It has been discussed multiple times.

• The increase was $1
  • If your buyers decide not to buy your gigs because it costs $1 more then maybe it’s time to add more value to the service and move away from $5 market.

Did you really seen something improved after this fee?

Is something changed for good?

Are any bugs fixed? What becomes better than before?

Nothing changed.

This fee just increased with no good reason.

I agree with you on this one. When the price of something increases, there should be a positive input that can at least compensate the users and show that the price increase is worth it.

Is something changed for good?

Are any bugs fixed? What becomes better than before?

Nothing changed.

This fee just increased with no good reason.

That is odd indeed.

I expected a complete revamp of the site with 0 bugs the next day as well.

So you’re telling me that they didn’t send you a complete roadmap of their business? Outrageous!!!

Since you bought for over $20K, I assume those were not private purchases?

So you have a business as well and never had to and think you never will have to or want to raise your prices? That’s great if that works out for you! How did you do it, start out with high enough prices to not have to raise them?

I’m going to add a wee bit in here and then run off.

I don’t like the ‘admin fee’ charge - the sliding scale is poorly implemented going from a relatively huge 40% to 5% depending on the purchase price. There’s no explanation of why it’s added or what it covers. If it’s because Fiverr wants to make more profit and have needed to put their prices up then wouldn’t it be better if they just said that, rather than just calling it an ‘admin fee’? Is that because an increase in the 20% sellers’ commission would put sellers up in arms, so it’s better to raise the only other variable which can be changed, thus affecting buyers.

I don’t encounter an admin fee when I buy anything else online. The price I see is the price I pay, unless some sort of local tax is added, so I don’t understand why as a buyer I have to pay extra.

I also don’t understand the negative comments towards anybody who posts anything about it. If you’re a buyer anywhere you really wouldn’t celebrate a price rise would you? Or is that because here we’re mainly sellers, so we’re looking to defend it from a seller’s point of view, rather than looking at it as a buyer?

Happy anniversary BTW @alexcherkassoff!

I am a frequent buyer here on Fiverr, have puchased gigs for more than $22k. When I started here the comission was $0.5 from $5 purchase

All this means is that Fiverr’s operating expenses have increased with time, and they have to raise user fees to compensate.

Think about it: when you started here, the fee was $0.50 because Fiverr as a company was not as big as it is now.

Let’s say Fiverr had 1000 orders per day for $0.5 comisson. They earned 500 bucks. Then Fiverr became bigger and has like 10000 orders per day. Even with the same comission they would earn 5000 bucks daily. So there is no connection between company scale and comission.

I was ok with $1 comission, that is quite enough to keep things rolling, everyone understands that. But 40% fee is ridiculous. I don’t get why you all say that is normal.

who bought $20k?

me?

I never said that. Where do I say that?

You’ve mistaken me with someone else

No, you can see in the top right corner at whom a reply is addressed, wasn’t meant for you, sorry.

Happy anniversary, btw! 🍰

Or is that because here we’re mainly sellers, so we’re looking to defend it from a seller’s point of view, rather than looking at it as a buyer?

That certainly plays a part, though don’t forget that many of us are sellers and buyers so they probably have a balanced view on it.

I think a big part of it is that many of us forum participants probably don’t just or mostly sell or buy $5 gigs, which means we don’t actually feel it.

$2 on a $5 purchase certainly is a big percentage, no doubt about that, but again, the argument holds that the costs $5 orders incur are disproportionate to bigger orders too.

Or, another way of looking at it, when I order something very heavy that costs me $500, maybe shipping cost is even included as that works out for the company, but if I order something very heavy that costs $5, I might have to pay $25 shipping cost, and would get it, too.

No, you can see in the top right corner at whom a reply is addressed, wasn’t meant for you, sorry.

Happy anniversary, btw! 🍰

Or is that because here we’re mainly sellers, so we’re looking to defend it from a seller’s point of view, rather than looking at it as a buyer?

That certainly plays a part, though don’t forget that many of us are sellers and buyers so they probably have a balanced view on it.

I think a big part of it is that many of us forum participants probably don’t just or mostly sell or buy $5 gigs, which means we don’t actually feel it.

$2 on a $5 purchase certainly is a big percentage, no doubt about that, but again, the argument holds that the costs $5 orders incur are disproportionate to bigger orders too.

Or, another way of looking at it, when I order something very heavy that costs me $500, maybe shipping cost is even included as that works out for the company, but if I order something very heavy that costs $5, I might have to pay $25 shipping cost, and would get it, too.

mostly sell or buy $5 gigs

I do. I wouldn’t sell anything more expensive on Fiverr for fear of a chargeback, as reported on here on a seemingly daily basis. 😦

mostly sell or buy $5 gigs

I do. I wouldn’t sell anything more expensive on Fiverr for fear of a chargeback, as reported on here on a seemingly daily basis. 😦

You should though, at least for one of your gigs I can say it’s an absolute steal for $5 and certainly worth $10 easily. 🙂

And $2 on a $10 gig already looks less bad than on a $10 one.

I understand the fear of chargebacks, of course. But many sellers would miss out on the really interesting jobs if we all only accepted $5 orders. What buyer would want to split up a $500 order into $5 orders, that’s just too much of a hassle, and for the sellers too. If I had to deliver a 30K words translation in $5 batches, I’d spend more time on the “paperwork” than on the actual work. 😉

You should though, at least for one of your gigs I can say it’s an absolute steal for $5 and certainly worth $10 easily. 🙂

And $2 on a $10 gig already looks less bad than on a $10 one.

I understand the fear of chargebacks, of course. But many sellers would miss out on the really interesting jobs if we all only accepted $5 orders. What buyer would want to split up a $500 order into $5 orders, that’s just too much of a hassle, and for the sellers too. If I had to deliver a 30K words translation in $5 batches, I’d spend more time on the “paperwork” than on the actual work. 😉

But many sellers would miss out on the really interesting jobs if we all only accepted $5 orders.

I probably have, but self-preservation and lack of stress are great motivating factors. 🙂

I’m going to add a wee bit in here and then run off.

I don’t like the ‘admin fee’ charge - the sliding scale is poorly implemented going from a relatively huge 40% to 5% depending on the purchase price. There’s no explanation of why it’s added or what it covers. If it’s because Fiverr wants to make more profit and have needed to put their prices up then wouldn’t it be better if they just said that, rather than just calling it an ‘admin fee’? Is that because an increase in the 20% sellers’ commission would put sellers up in arms, so it’s better to raise the only other variable which can be changed, thus affecting buyers.

I don’t encounter an admin fee when I buy anything else online. The price I see is the price I pay, unless some sort of local tax is added, so I don’t understand why as a buyer I have to pay extra.

I also don’t understand the negative comments towards anybody who posts anything about it. If you’re a buyer anywhere you really wouldn’t celebrate a price rise would you? Or is that because here we’re mainly sellers, so we’re looking to defend it from a seller’s point of view, rather than looking at it as a buyer?

Happy anniversary BTW @alexcherkassoff!

I think this is probably the most valid argument I have heard so far. While the Processing Fee as it used to be could be somewhat justified because it was only applied when someone was transferring money into Fiverr, the service fee is something that really does not have a real justification going on what other sites do.

I also don’t understand the negative comments towards anybody who posts anything about it.

I am not against the anti-fee posts, I just don’t agree with the reasoning of most of them. I agree that the fee seems excessive and that it likely puts some people off buying but as to the idea that is has a major negative impact on sales, I just don’t think it has. My biggest gripe with it is that it applies to all orders, tips, extras etc. Even if there was a service fee for a full order - no matter how many additions or tips etc, then I could kinda be ok with it. Similarly, when I buy from my earned funds it really does grate paying that extra bit.

Fiverr has always had problems communicating with their users. If there’s a valid reason for this increase then they could have given us a high level explanation.

For example
The CS feedback surveys show that users are not happy with the quality of responses they receive.
We did a deep dive, identified a number of improvement opportunities and we now we have solid action plan to fix it.
The #1 reason is that our user base has grown while our CS team hasn’t. In order to give our reps enough time to do a proper research and provide you a custom reply we need to expand our CS staff. While we work in-house on XYZ, we will be increasing our service fee by $1 in order to finance our expansion.

It’s a crappy message and I’m sure one of the bloggers here can rewrite it, but at least it would explain what’s going on. Crappy service -> Invest money > Hire more staff > Provide better service > Happy Doers.

At the end of it they could easily say that our satisfaction score was 67% and after hiring more staff and improving their skills we reached 85%.

It still has a few holes because they are collecting it from every order no matter if CS is used or not and personally I think they are focusing on the wrong things, but at least I would accept that explanation for the time being.
Take the mutual cancellation for example. You don’t need a crystal ball to see that CS will be flooded with complaints about unfair demotions. If you don’t have the technical readiness to exclude mistakenly placed orders then leave it out until you get it sorted.

Fiverr has always had problems communicating with their users. If there’s a valid reason for this increase then they could have given us a high level explanation.

For example

The CS feedback surveys show that users are not happy with the quality of responses they receive.

We did a deep dive, identified a number of improvement opportunities and we now we have solid action plan to fix it.

The #1 reason is that our user base has grown while our CS team hasn’t. In order to give our reps enough time to do a proper research and provide you a custom reply we need to expand our CS staff. While we work in-house on XYZ, we will be increasing our service fee by $1 in order to finance our expansion.

It’s a crappy message and I’m sure one of the bloggers here can rewrite it, but at least it would explain what’s going on. Crappy service -> Invest money > Hire more staff > Provide better service > Happy Doers.

At the end of it they could easily say that our satisfaction score was 67% and after hiring more staff and improving their skills we reached 85%.

It still has a few holes because they are collecting it from every order no matter if CS is used or not and personally I think they are focusing on the wrong things, but at least I would accept that explanation for the time being.

Take the mutual cancellation for example. You don’t need a crystal ball to see that CS will be flooded with complaints about unfair demotions. If you don’t have the technical readiness to exclude mistakenly placed orders then leave it out until you get it sorted.

I concur.

The time I’ve been on Fiverr, I’ve developed superb rapport with other Sellers here. So, paying the $2 fee, I chalked it up to “Well, it’s worth it”. I’ve spent hundreds & hundreds of dollars on this platform. I ❤️ tipping for a job well done, too. I’m not cheap by any means, I like to splurge and show gratitude. I’m sure that 💲 outta me is the vague/blanketed reasoning behind the change. I’m not seeing what’s being done from my POV, I’m left to take their word for it. As a Buyer this puts me off. I think it’s high-time Fiverr employs The Green Pepper Lady :pen: for their campaigns and whatnot.

The emails/surveys are boring too boot!

Archived