3 Questions I Dread

writer99025

So, today a very nice elderly person from a religious organization I support visited…he asked 3 questions that had me stumped.

1. What do you do?
  2. Are you married?
  3. How old are you?

Normal questions, ordinary questions, but I find them dreadfully difficult to answer. Now having shaken off human contact, I get back to writing my articles. 4000 words left for the day…

So, today a very nice elderly person from a religious organization I support visited…he asked 3 questions that had me stumped.

1. What do you do?
  2. Are you married?
  3. How old are you?

Normal questions, ordinary questions, but I find them dreadfully difficult to answer. Now having shaken off human contact, I get back to writing my articles. 4000 words left for the day…

What do you do?

Work.

Are you married?

To my Work.

How old are you?

Old enough to know better, still too young to care.

1. What do you do?
  2. Are you married?
  3. How old are you?

1. What do you do?

Freelancing & {don’t want to tell this}

1. Are you married?

No.

1. How old are you?

1day. LOL 👶

1. What do you do?
  2. Are you married?
  3. How old are you?

1. What do you do?
  2. Are you married?
  3. How old are you?

Here are some guaranteed answers that will make sure he will never ask you again:

(1) I am a teacher. I travel through the interdimensional portal to other plants educating other species about Earthlings.

(2) She’s standing right next to me. You can’t see her because she’s invisible! Shhh, don’t tell anyone.

(Then you put your arms out next to you and have a conversation) “I know honey, we’ll be leaving soon. Say hi to, I’m sorry sir, what’s your name again?”

(3) I am two thousand years old, give or take a decade. I’ve been told I look really good for my age. Although, the renaissance age did take a toll on me.

🙂

1. What do you do?
  2. Are you married?
  3. How old are you?

Here are some guaranteed answers that will make sure he will never ask you again:

(1) I am a teacher. I travel through the interdimensional portal to other plants educating other species about Earthlings.

(2) She’s standing right next to me. You can’t see her because she’s invisible! Shhh, don’t tell anyone.

(Then you put your arms out next to you and have a conversation) “I know honey, we’ll be leaving soon. Say hi to, I’m sorry sir, what’s your name again?”

(3) I am two thousand years old, give or take a decade. I’ve been told I look really good for my age. Although, the renaissance age did take a toll on me.

🙂

LOL…awesome!..

I totally get this. While I don’t have trouble with these exact questions, talking with people in real time can be quite difficult. I am not good at spontaneous conversation with people I don’t know well and tend to freeze or give odd answers to certain questions. I love hanging out with my computer and my animals. Both have questions for me but they generally involve a request for input and nothing more!

A conversation I might get stuck in:

Them: Have you tried the new burger place?

Me: Yes, the fries are good. I mean, the burgers are probably fine but I don’t eat meat so I had fries. Um… Did you know that chickens don’t have lips?

Potential answers that you might find helpful in future:

What do you do?

Answer: I make specialty leather handbags out of the skin of old people.

Are you married?

Answer: Yes, but my husband is away a lot of the time due to his demanding work with ■■■■.

How old are you?

Answer: I’m afraid that my parole officer explicitly forbids me from disclosing too much personal information to strangers, sorry.

There you go, sorted. 🙂

I totally get this. While I don’t have trouble with these exact questions, talking with people in real time can be quite difficult. I am not good at spontaneous conversation with people I don’t know well and tend to freeze or give odd answers to certain questions. I love hanging out with my computer and my animals. Both have questions for me but they generally involve a request for input and nothing more!

A conversation I might get stuck in:

Them: Have you tried the new burger place?

Me: Yes, the fries are good. I mean, the burgers are probably fine but I don’t eat meat so I had fries. Um… Did you know that chickens don’t have lips?

Yes, the fries are good. I mean, the burgers are probably fine but I don’t eat meat so I had fries. Um… Did you know that chickens don’t have lips?

Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Oh, my! That is funny. 😆

Maybe I´m not normal and ordinary, but I never really ask anyone those questions and I don´t want to get asked either, and only would reply if I had to for some reason, like police asking me in the course of their duties.
Else I´d either just ignore the questions, ask back without answering, talk about something else, or tell them nunya, depending on who they are and how polite I´m feeling towards them.
It´s always nice to see the face of people who ask ‘How old are you?’ or ‘What´s your name?’ when I reply ‘Why?’. And what then comes usually is more interesting than the usual ‘I´m x’ ‘I´m y’ ping-pong too.
But either way there are more interesting things to talk about, like, say, soccer and cricket, no?

Maybe I´m not normal and ordinary, but I never really ask anyone those questions and I don´t want to get asked either, and only would reply if I had to for some reason, like police asking me in the course of their duties.

Else I´d either just ignore the questions, ask back without answering, talk about something else, or tell them nunya, depending on who they are and how polite I´m feeling towards them.

It´s always nice to see the face of people who ask ‘How old are you?’ or ‘What´s your name?’ when I reply ‘Why?’. And what then comes usually is more interesting than the usual ‘I´m x’ ‘I´m y’ ping-pong too.

But either way there are more interesting things to talk about, like, say, soccer and cricket, no?

It is odd and I might be wrong but it might have to do with the culture.

I would have answered:
“Things are great here. The weather is nice and I love helping people with projects. How can I help you get a project started today?”

That is also how I respond to what I call conversational messages from potential new customers. Messages that never seem to get to an actual need for anything that I do. They usually start with, “Hello” or “How are you today?”

I would have answered:

“Things are great here. The weather is nice and I love helping people with projects. How can I help you get a project started today?”

That is also how I respond to what I call conversational messages from potential new customers. Messages that never seem to get to an actual need for anything that I do. They usually start with, “Hello” or “How are you today?”

He was not a customer. Nothing to do with Fiverr. (Just an example of a typical “real world” conversation I have to deal with here in India.)

1. What do you do?
  2. Are you married?
  3. How old are you?

What do you do?

Are you married?

How old are you?

Easy, my dear. I do what I want, when I want and how I want. I’m not married, but he is 😉 and as for my age, well, what do you think?

The key is bluffering. Whip up a little controversy and nobody cares about the “big” and rather boring questions. Besides, where I am, you’re more likely to get a poke in the belly and “YOU’RE FAT” than anything else.

Or, you know, just tell 'em to piss off. No difficulty.

What do you do?

Are you married?

How old are you?

Easy, my dear. I do what I want, when I want and how I want. I’m not married, but he is 😉 and as for my age, well, what do you think?

The key is bluffering. Whip up a little controversy and nobody cares about the “big” and rather boring questions. Besides, where I am, you’re more likely to get a poke in the belly and “YOU’RE FAT” than anything else.

Or, you know, just tell 'em to piss off. No difficulty.

Has anybody actually poked you in the belly? I’ve been looking at Greece as a pipe dream half a year there, half a year on Malta should Brexit get ugly. I couldn’t have poking going on though.

Has anybody actually poked you in the belly? I’ve been looking at Greece as a pipe dream half a year there, half a year on Malta should Brexit get ugly. I couldn’t have poking going on though.

Only confident, sexy and attractive people dare to poke me in the belly–I just roll with the er… punches.

No, nobody has poked me in reality. If anything, the devious hellenes were actively plotting to enfatten me.

You shouldn’t be stumped by those questions and can give honest answers without shame for you have nothing to be embarrassed about. You are a single professional freelance writer.

I understand that you live in a culture that is somewhat judgmental but hold your head up and be proud. You have a great life and are reasonably happy with it.

You shouldn’t be stumped by those questions and can give honest answers without shame for you have nothing to be embarrassed about. You are a single professional freelance writer.

I understand that you live in a culture that is somewhat judgmental but hold your head up and be proud. You have a great life and are reasonably happy with it.

Personally, I think someone just tried to hit on Writer today and he freaked out.

Only confident, sexy and attractive people dare to poke me in the belly–I just roll with the er… punches.

No, nobody has poked me in reality. If anything, the devious hellenes were actively plotting to enfatten me.

At least you got some relatively normal questions. Here’s my last 3 question uncomfortable conversation (at work):

Do you have a wife? (No.)

Do you have a girlfriend? (No.)

Are you gay? I mean, that’s okay if you are, it doesn’t matter to me…

When I answered no to that too, it was uncomfortable silence for a while. I’m not sure why those three are my only options.

Strangely enough, that’s not the first time I’ve been asked if I’m gay. Maybe it’s because I don’t talk about dating or marriage?

I choose to believe it’s other people that are the problem. It can’t ever be me. 😁 But seriously, those questions are a little nosy in my opinion. They’re normal questions, yes, but not when there’s no reason why they’re being asked. For example, if someone is complaining about stress at work, a natural question might be to ask what they do. But not if they’re talking about baseball.

@gina_riley2 and @cyaxrex I really like those. I wish I could try them out, but my area’s full of a bunch of busybodies and the local hospital has a nice big secure mental ward, so it’s probably not a good idea. As it is, I’ve been told by the police I stand on the corner too long. Evidently one of my neighbors thinks standing outside and talking to the other neighbors because the power’s out (again) means I look like a burglar. In a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. 😒

actively plotting to enfatten me.

Somebody keeps buying me candy, sodas, cookies, etc… I swear that’s what they’re doing, especially since they commented about how thin I looked.

At least you got some relatively normal questions. Here’s my last 3 question uncomfortable conversation (at work):

Do you have a wife? (No.)

Do you have a girlfriend? (No.)

Are you gay? I mean, that’s okay if you are, it doesn’t matter to me…

When I answered no to that too, it was uncomfortable silence for a while. I’m not sure why those three are my only options.

Strangely enough, that’s not the first time I’ve been asked if I’m gay. Maybe it’s because I don’t talk about dating or marriage?

I choose to believe it’s other people that are the problem. It can’t ever be me. 😁 But seriously, those questions are a little nosy in my opinion. They’re normal questions, yes, but not when there’s no reason why they’re being asked. For example, if someone is complaining about stress at work, a natural question might be to ask what they do. But not if they’re talking about baseball.

@gina_riley2 and @cyaxrex I really like those. I wish I could try them out, but my area’s full of a bunch of busybodies and the local hospital has a nice big secure mental ward, so it’s probably not a good idea. As it is, I’ve been told by the police I stand on the corner too long. Evidently one of my neighbors thinks standing outside and talking to the other neighbors because the power’s out (again) means I look like a burglar. In a t-shirt, shorts, and sandals. 😒

actively plotting to enfatten me.

Somebody keeps buying me candy, sodas, cookies, etc… I swear that’s what they’re doing, especially since they commented about how thin I looked.

Are you by any chance of that age where most people of your own age are married and/or settling down?

If so, I’m afraid that for as long as your own answers stay as they are, the words SERIAL and KILLER will be the first that pop up in people’s minds whenever you are in conversation with them. Get a dog and you might be able to ride it out until your late thirties without being pulled over and questioned by the local police whenever there is a missing person in the area.

After that, you should probably really think about moving or becoming homosexual just to keep the peace.

When people who don’t know me well personally ask my occupation I say “internet services”. I used to tell people I was a witch but got tired of the big reactions. So writer be glad you have a normal occupation.

Miss Crystal! You can’t say ‘Internet Services.’ - People will be thinking you do dirty things on camera! - Completely fine if you do, of course.

Archived