8 Things We Hate From Buyers

fastcopywriter

1. You’re sending messages instead of placing orders. Unless the gig description tells you to message before ordering, DON’T DO IT.

2. You expect sellers to respond right away. Some of us have jobs, others are sleeping, others are busy. Be patient.

3. You order 24/hour delivery and start complaining if we’re not delivering in 1-hour, or 5-hours. Be realistic, we’re not secretaries, we know that if we miss our deadline, you can cancel. 24/hour delivery means it can take us 23 hours and 59 minutes. Be patient.

4. You demand modifications over BS. It’s one thing to demand a modification when we deliver the wrong order, or if we really screw up. But if you purchase 5 book titles and don’t like one, don’t demand a modification. You’re getting quantity to find quality, and we know you’re not going to publish that book under 5 different titles.

5. You think we’re abusive if we don’t kiss your butt. You’re not a boss, we’re not employees, we’re independent parties trading with one another. So if you want to be treated like a master, hire a slave. We’re not slaves.

6. You place an order, and communicate outside the order. What’s the deal with that? Do you know how frustrating it is to open an order and having to waste time clicking on your name to find your instructions? Communicate within the order! How hard is that?

7. You leave a bad review without warning us. What’s the deal with that? We don’t want bad reviews, and as much as we hate revisions, we’ll either revise the work or give you a refund.

8. You fail to read the entire gig and gig extras. You pay for a Facebook ad and then complain because you didn’t get a mockup with a picture. Sorry if the portfolio samples confused you, but if you had read the gig you would have known that mockups are extra.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heycfonthaunt I just think fastcopywriter means that sometimes buyers become chatty. Some of them begin leaving instructions here and there, and I have to spend a lot of time trying to collecting all their ideas in one coherent text. Not like a big deal, but still a lot of time waste.

It is also very frustrating when someone asks you what he/she could’ve read on gig description.

The communicating outside of an order is very strange. I just copy paste it into the actual order (I have an autoresponse thingy set up for this situation). But they see what I do, and all orders have a big “write inside me!” box…

I have a needy buyer right now–I’ve just had to reassure them that they’re in the queue (now at the very back for being annoying). For $5, I’m not holding your hand–you’re in a queue and you get it when its done. Inviting a bad review, I suppose, but I’ll just cancel.

I agree and understand his point. I only clarified the point that I would differ on if speaking to my own potential buyers. For me, the risk of “chatty” buyers is worth it. When I get one who seems to not intend to order or is going to be difficult, I let them know I can’t spend more time and I suggest that they find someone else.

I don’t expect fastcopywriter to change his preferences based on mine and I think we have lots of respect for each other. My comment is just a friendly opinion. 🙂

I’m happy to hear that.

So you’re not getting messages from buyers asking:

Are you available?

Do you do voiceovers?

Here’s one of the messages I got today:

"“Hi There! I’m working on a t-shirt project focused on climbing lovers. I’d like to make a good advertisin on fb to test the first subject I drow. And I’d like to test it in the UK market. I’ll use a t-shirt servece like fabrily.com. Could you help me please?” "

See what I mean? Why not just order?

I welcome messages that don’t waste my time. Out of today’s messages 90% of them were literally “can you work” “I don’t need x amount of words, do you offer a deal on slightly less” and “hello”. The best was someone who wanted a sample. I said ‘no’, and they insisted I send them a sample. I said no again, and got a lot of tutting about being unprofessional.

I’m not allowed to say no? Pff.

If it was just once a week, fine, but this is a daily time sink, and some people don’t listen to anything except what they want to hear. I’ve got a mod request going into week 3 now (AWOL buyer)… I’m pretty tired of other people’s shit…just look at my reviews, I usually nail it. If I didn’t, it’s because the buyer didn’t know what they wanted. And if the buyer doesn’t know, I sure as hell can’t help. If you message me first and you’re not sure/time wasting, you’re automatically dumped.

Your rant is so negative, beginning with your subject title. Obviously you feel very strongly about experiences as a top rated seller. As a buyer, I want to engage the seller on my particular requirements to 1) see if the gig will meet my expectations or if a custom order will better meet my needs, and 2) if the Seller has a good grasp of the English language so I know I will be able to communicate with him/her easily. There are new buyers registering on Fiverr every day, looking for the right fit, which includes exchanging dollars for services with sellers that have pleasant personalities. I am sure you reached TRS because you know how to deal with buyers successfully. So I am surprised a TRS level seller is risking alienating potential new clients. This rant must be that important to you to take that risk. Sorry for the bad experiences you’ve had.

Plenty of fish in the sea, so to speak. It IS a problem: time is finite, and time wasters apparently infinite. Your tune would change if you had to deal with dozens of people who can’t even be bothered to read your gig and ask questions that are already answered.

Who wouldn’t become a little jaded and negative after the millionth moron asked a dumb question?

And after all, shouldn’t it be obvious whether a seller has good English from a gig description? And unless that seller was hawking articles, does their grasp of English matter when you want, say, some art, or pretty rocks, or a website mockup?

A top rated seller is just a meaningless trinket of a title. They’re good at what they do, and have been recognized. As misscrystal states, it’s time consuming–and time wasting. By all means ask a question, but at least do some due diligence first.

I try to be nice when buyers message me, but this forum isn’t for niceties. This isn’t a tea party, it’s a forum for people to speak truthfully.

I understand your rational. However, most sellers that can’t write English well are not going to hire someone to write their gig description for them. You should also look at the reviews. I know some reviews can be bought, but nobody buys 50 reviews, or 100 reviews. That would require investing a lot of money most scammers don’t have.

If all you do is message people, you’re only wasting your time and theirs. Furthermore, personality is irrelevant, when I buy a gig, I’m buying based on portfolio samples and reviews. A nice seller that does crappy work is useless to me.

Fiverr is the online world, so why have offline expectations? Be happy you don’t have to put up with traffic, write a creative brief, and wait a week or more to get your work.

As a matter of fact, I rarely hire anyone that takes more than 3-days to do the job. I make an exception for newbold3d, because he’s a genius graphic designer with 31 people in his queue. He always does quality work whether you hire him for $5 or $50.

I’d think that anyone who required 100 reviews to start selling probably has a crappy product anyway. My favourite buyers are those I can just be blunt with. “this isn’t working, let’s try xyz”–but you know, those clients are also paying for me to engage my brain and not just churn out tripe that fits their expectation which is completely wrong–no market research, no nothing. Just anyone breathing between 8-80 who needs a shower–and my copy wasn’t killer? Your brief killed it, my friend, and I can’t save your business.

You can find great people who do fantastic work for pennies. But that’s the exception, not the rule. To expect that while failing to help the person you hired to do good work… well, whose fault is that, really?

9: If the seller cancels the order and tell you to contact via messages, just do it!

I am so used to buyer ordering without reading the gig description, but it always irritates me when I said the order isn’t $5, please cancel it and discuss the price before ordering. ( I too, don’t like this but it seems many people have problems with math, that they can’t come up with themselves if 1 character is $5 then 10 characters should be $100). And then they will reply, in the order page, that how much it cost, or why, or…

I mean don’t they see the warning that it will automatically be cancelled? And what’s the point of communicating in an old order anyways? Even if we come up with an agreement, they still need to order a new one.

(not very) surprisingly, not a single one of them make new order after knowing the correct price. I am starting to think this is a scam, since they ordered already, they hope we would just do it in fear of a cancellation will hurt our rating.

I technically did, I send a cancellation request and a message saying please cancel the order and discuss via message.
I actually send the message twice, in the order page before I click cancel, and in the “reason box” after I click cancel (because sometimes the reason message won’t be sent out to the buyers, another Fiverr bug)
But they never click the accept button and continue communicate within the order page instead.

Yeah, I know what you’re talking about. There are some buyers who come back with update questions after 2 days from the day they have purchased the gig. Although in the gig description it is clearly stated 7 days on average.
First I thought it’s curiosity, but sometimes I have a feeling that some people do not have jobs and are just loitering, bothering with questions when it will be ready.
Or they just want to reassure themselves you take care of their order.

I was always wondering does a lot of orders in queue stop buyers from purchasing from a seller?

Archived