A Buyer Ordered a gig and I've worked on it for 15 days

julianbetje

hey there fiverr community, I’m Julian and I do ecwid stores and music production. I recently got a customer who paid $200 to integrate a custom payment gateway into his site. the API that he provided with from a spanish company. after setting everything up and running into consecutive problems as it wasn’t fully supported by ecwid. I integrated the app, setup the hosting and add the code only to find out that its flawed and there are bugs. because of running into consecutive problems the working time was above 20+ days. and now I might have to cancel the order after workinig for 20+ hours on a project. what would you guys suggest for me to do? cancel the order or provide reasoning since Its not my fault that the code is flawed.

As you are new in fiverr so i would suggest you to complete the order. Consult with client if necessary but at any cost try to complete the project successfully. This will help you to get more job in future. This is not the right time to look at money and hours. In the beginning if you go project canceling hassle this will bad affect your profile. Hope you understand.

As you are new in fiverr so i would suggest you to complete the order. Consult with client if necessary but at any cost try to complete the project successfully. This will help you to get more job in future. This is not the right time to look at money and hours. In the beginning if you go project canceling hassle this will bad affect your profile. Hope you understand.

thanks for the valuable advice, but I do not offer fixing code with bugs as that would take a whole lot of time. so I think cancelling would be the most suitable option

Talk to your buyer. Explain the full situation, including that, if you continue, it will cost more. Ask what they want to do.

This is something out of your control, so don’t try to control it. Talk to your buyer.

Maybe they can choose a different API?

thanks for the valuable advice again, will do what you said 🙂

Oof. Non-responsive client. You hadn’t mentioned that.

I’m leaning more towards cancellation, now. If you want to call this job a loss, you can contact Fiverr Customer Support and politely ask that they cancel the order for you without penalty, due to an unresponsive client. They might not, but a cancellation can be recovered from in 60 days.

A bad client can wreck a profile.

So many newbies are being taken advantage of here on Fiverr by a small minority of predatory “buyers”. This is my take on how to protect yourself, thereby reducing the chances of a cancellation or negative review.
Special shout out to @melissaharlowvo for the buyer requirements section. Enjoy!

Then wait for their response and if you are close to the deadline, send them time extension request

hmm but whats the point in extending the order when its worth alot more money, sorry to say this but as sellers we shouldn’t offer free work to anyone. I don’t mind have a bad affect on my completion rate rather than doing free work.

Oof. Non-responsive client. You hadn’t mentioned that.

I’m leaning more towards cancellation, now. If you want to call this job a loss, you can contact Fiverr Customer Support and politely ask that they cancel the order for you without penalty, due to an unresponsive client. They might not, but a cancellation can be recovered from in 60 days.

A bad client can wreck a profile.

So many newbies are being taken advantage of here on Fiverr by a small minority of predatory “buyers”. This is my take on how to protect yourself, thereby reducing the chances of a cancellation or negative review.
Special shout out to @melissaharlowvo for the buyer requirements section. Enjoy!

thanks alot, will try to do that.

hmm but whats the point in extending the order when its worth alot more money, sorry to say this but as sellers we shouldn’t offer free work to anyone. I don’t mind have a bad affect on my completion rate rather than doing free work.

this free work later bring you more client where from you can earn more money. Consider this as business rather than selling gig. you will become more beneficial.

Not entirely true, if not outright false.

People who devalue their own work once, will be tempted to do it again for that ‘future’. And again, and again, and again. Plus, if word gets out about how you compromised once, then others can demand the same ‘discount’.

It’s a psychology thing. Self-esteem.

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

People who devalue their own work once, will be tempted to do it again for that ‘future’. And again, and again, and again. Plus, if word gets out about how you compromised once, then others can demand the same ‘discount’.

I see a lot of advice that encourages the freelance tropes - the idea that we’re all workaholic night owls, perpetually hunched over keyboards, waiting at the beck and call of potential clients. Never log out… Always be agreeable to clients… Give free samples or mock ups… Answer right away… If you needed an experienced professional to give you permission, in plain words, here it is: it’s okay to be a human being. Never give out free work. No samples. No mockups. Period. That’s what your po…

agree alot, I’d rather not sell than providing free work because its just not the right way.

this article is a must read, highly recommend all new sellers to read this.

And if the OP is already doing well?

Not everyone is only on Fiverr. Not everyone is new to their industry.

I have been producing music for well over 5 years now and I sell beats on other platforms including beatstars, same goes for ecwid I get jobs on upwork too. I think giving out ppl free work is just dumb and introduce this culture of new sellers being oppressed.

I have been producing music for well over 5 years now and I sell beats on other platforms including beatstars, same goes for ecwid I get jobs on upwork too. I think giving out ppl free work is just dumb and introduce this culture of new sellers being oppressed.

I agree. Would lean on the cancellation too!

It is high time for your to enrich your communication and you should communicate to the buyer and must explain the situation. Hope problem will be solved but as a new you should completed the project at any cost to boost your job experiences. hope for the best

Dont EVER cancel an order. Deliver EXACTLY what the customer paid for. Explain with your delivery their code is flawed and you are delivering what you have been paid to do. Any other issue is not yours to worry about.

I’ve done that but the buyer isn’t responding now I only have 6 hours left to either deliver the final product or request cancellation 😦

I’ve done that but the buyer isn’t responding now I only have 6 hours left to either deliver the final product or request cancellation 😦

@julianbetje do not deliver. Buyer can claim incomplete work, unless you’re a certain you did the exact work then you can deliver. Ofcourse he will come back because of the bugs, and ask you to fix it. Perhaps you can meet in the middle and find out what works for the both of you. If you get 1star now, you drop to 4.2 rating, and you can’t send buyer requests.

Archived