Fiverr Forum

A little "Hello" won't hurt!

I get about 5~6 gigs each week, and since fiverr is something I do on the side, this is a good number.

Most buyers are nice people, and not only are they nice, they show respect. When I say respect,

it’s very basic stuff like saying “Hello” at the start of the message, or adding a little “Thank you” at the end.

Every now and then though, I do get people who say something like

"Draw this"

“Do this”

…Um, you can say hello, you know.

Am I offended? Not really, but it does make me say “Bleh…” and sit there for about 2 seconds before

I get started with the gig.

I’m sure typing “Hello” or even “Hi” does not require much effort. I wonder why some people don’t do it.

Reply to @crcanny: Crazy. I grew up in New York City. I’m actually a “Staten Island girl.” My husband visited New York City once for three days after we got married… he had road rage within 5 minutes of entering the city and after we left, he concluded that our child will never step foot in that city. :smiley:

I think that most parents just don’t teach ‘manners’ anymore, that’s all. :slight_smile: A lot of the younger generation are actually brought up taught that being ‘nice’ is a sign of weakness.

I think this is a cultural issue.

Example: My husband and I currently moved from America to Japan (we are both American, born and raised.) We went to McDonald’s in America and it’s very “What can I get you? Your total is ____. Please wait over there. NEXT!” When we went to Japan we were shocked that the employees in McDonald’s dressed in business attire, were well manners, asked how our day was, if there was anything else they could do for us, and bowed so many times we actually felt bad. Then they invited us to take a seat and they would bring the food to us!

So, I think it is the same on Fiverr. I get some people that barely tell me what they are looking for. Then I noticed that there are some people (usually from non-American countries) that are like "Hi! Can you _____? Thank you so much in advance!"

I’m not saying all Americans are like this, but it is just something I have noticed. :slight_smile: Some people are from a very straight to the point type of lifestyle and it reflects over the internet where others are from a more get-to-know-your-neighbor environment.

I certainly see it as a cultural thing also.

I personally agree and it’s also a PERSONAL issue. Greetings are big to me. I like warm greetings and I like to address people with their name.

Having visited Italy and many other countries, I learned that many of my fellow americans are really aloof and cold when it comes to proper greetings.

I like to say hi, and I almost always put my name at the end of messages. Only rarely do I not when we are going back and forth quickly.

ALOOF and COLD to others is NO WAY to go through LIFE!

I also consider proper greetings and goodbyes as good business etiquette.

A warm greeting also makes it more likely you’ll connect with people.

If you want to go through life alone, don’t ever say hi to anybody.

I have viewed the inability of some to say hi properly as their own personal fear of CONNECTION.

I probably have it too but I’ll always say hi to nice strangers even if they don’t say hi back.

This topic strikes a personal chord in me.

Actually I’ve been to some parts of Europe and Asia where the people were shockingly rude and nasty. (And I’m from New York City!) I think it’s just some people – wherever they are in the world – weren’t taught right by their Mommas and others were. Sometimes it’s just as simple as that.

I’m not so sure, there’s a difference between culture and some general manners.

I think it’s a mixture of culture and the way people are raised. I was raised with saying “please” and “Thank you” and that’s the way my daughter will be raised. But I know many parents who simply don’t care if their child has any manners at all.

On here, though, I think a lot of it is culture and possibly the language barrier. I don’t mind people missing out the “hi” as long as they’re polite in the message. I do the work anyway but I have a smile on my face when someone is polite in the messages they send to me and I find a way to enjoy it - even if it’s a topic that bores the bejeebuz out of me :slight_smile:

There are certainly rude folks in Europe. It’s really due to so many factors including cultural, sociological, and linguistic too. However, there are always exceptions to some of these generalizations I see in the world. I happen to think lots of Germans sound cold, but I’ve also met the opposite type who have been welcoming and very open.

I think the “tone” of a language has so much to do with the manifestation of etiquette and treatment of others.

The way I am greeted by friends who know me in Italy feels marvelous and distinct from my American friends.

The romance languages seem to bring more warmth out of people than English, German, Russian, Slovak and Czeck languages.

I really am not looking to seem discriminating here. I have just observed the way different cultures act and behave.

There are good and bad people in every group.

We don’t have much to lose by greeting people nicely. I really think it makes people feel like a million bucks when you give them an appreciative greeting, so it makes sense in business on Fiverr too.

My name is Paul. Maybe I should have said that first. lol

“hello indeed”

kuzzmedia said: The romance languages seem to bring more warmth out of people than English, German, Russian, Slovak and Czeck languages.

You should hear the Chinese speak. I brought my white husband home to meet my parents and he wanted to know why my mother was yelling at me. I raised an eyebrow and realized that he misunderstood her harsh, loud tone (which is how the Chinese language is spoken) for yelling. I laughed and explained to him that she was asking me what we wanted for dinner.

First off, I’m disinclined to speak in generalizations on any topic, really. Paris was by far the rudest city I’ve ever experienced and yet, they spoke beautifully. So much for a the pretty tongue theory. :wink: New Yorkers are wary and mostly silent until spoken to, but if you approach them, they are often the most helpful and generous people in the world. British people sound snotty, but they are incredibly fun and down-to-earth. Appearances are not everything, what happens underneath the superficial is even more important.

And we have to remember that another man’s rudeness is simply their form of courtesy. Speaking too intimately to a stranger is an affront in many cultures (German, for one), speaking too softly in another or too enthusiastically is considered guache and rude, yet in some cultures, it’s expected. There’s that too.

Yes, probably cultural. Some may be rude but either way, it doesn’t bother me one bit :wink: I’m just delighted they bought or are considering my gig. I’m very cheerful in my responses though.

Agreed. It’s a language thing sometimes. I also find myself being really abrupt if I’m working off my phone just because it’s so hard to type. One of my seemingly “rudest” customers for my voiceover gig has turned out to be one of my best clients. It was a language issue.

Kiff

Sometimes people just suck at communicating over technology.

When I was a much younger panda I dated a grizzly bear that was a horrific texter. He was nice and great in person but god forbid I texted him ANYTHING. It was always “kk cool.” “kk.” “2 min.” Drove me nuts.

Wow, I’m getting a lot of comments!

I can tell that it is a cultural thing to a certain point, especially me coming from

Japan, and we are all about greeting greeting greeting, bowing bowing bowing.

The thing is, buyers don’t really have to say “hello”,

for example something like

Can you draw this?

Could you please translate this?

Is OK for me. At least they are ASKING me, and in most cases they

add the word please. The ones that do tend to bother me are ones that say

"Draw this" and just that. Not “Can you draw this” , just "Draw this,"

and they are telling me, not asking.

I guess it can be a cultural thing, but for me it’s like basic manners,

and no matter where you are from, a nice hi and thank you is good.

I am happy to say that though, 99.5% of my buyers do say hi and thank you.

Thank god for that! :smiley:

Ha if you think americans are bad come to scotland.

we try and avoid verbal communication as much as possible and prefer to communicate via grunts, moans and the occasional fist fight.

Reply to @wolfstarpicture:

Really!!??? Al the Scottish people I’ve met were all so happy and

jolly and always laughing and talking!

I was mainly joking lol

but it’s half true, depends on what country you meet them, the time of the year and how badly we are doing in the world cup.

@wolfstarpicture - lol, grunts and moans.

@wolfstarpicture - how’d there get to be only ONE scottish smurf? lol grrrrr (my daughter has me watching the movie all the time)

Only one though? Fully scottish? How can there be one fully Scottish smurf? That doesn’t make sense.

LOL

I just hijacked this thread. Sorry…