A little music?

emmaki

This week has been a bit moany. Let’s listen to some music. I’ll kick off with Eartha Kitt, who I love for being a complete badass and Catwoman (“rawrrr!”) to boot. You can join in or tell each other how to make $20,000 a week, I don’t mind.

<iframe width=“420” height=“315” src=“https://www.youtube.com/embed/6BvL-i--8Ws” frameborder=“0” allowfullscreen></iframe>

My favourite description of Eartha was the CIA (after she made Mrs LBJ cry)–“a sadistic nymphomaniac”. Do check out her life story if you’re not familiar with it. There’s a lot more to her than showbiz, and she’s a wonderful character.

She was very much against the Vietnam War. From Wikipedia:

"In 1968, during Lyndon B. Johnson’s administration, Kitt encountered a substantial professional setback after she made anti-war statements during a White House luncheon.[13][14] Kitt was invited to the White House luncheon and was asked by Lady Bird Johnson about the Vietnam War. She replied: “You send the best of this country off to be shot and maimed. No wonder the kids rebel and take pot.”

During a question and answer session, Kitt stated:

"The children of America are not rebelling for no reason. They are not hippies for no reason at all. We don’t have what we have on Sunset Blvd. for no reason. They are rebelling against something. There are so many things burning the people of this country, particularly mothers. They feel they are going to raise sons—and I know what it's like, and you have children of your own, Mrs. Johnson—we raise children and send them to war."

Her remarks reportedly caused Mrs. Johnson to burst into tears and led to a derailment in Kitt’s career.[15] The public reaction to Kitt’s statements was extreme, both pro and con. Publicly ostracized in the US, she devoted her energies to performances in Europe and Asia. It is said that Kitt’s career in the US was ended following her comments about the Vietnam War, after which she was branded “a sadistic nymphomaniac” by the CIA.[8]"

Incidentally, was Mrs LBJ really called Lady Bird? lol. So, don’t make First Ladies cry, and definitely don’t annoy the CIA unless you want to be branded as a s****l deviant because you say “rawr” a lot and play Catwoman on a fictional TV show while having a mind of your own.

A lot of people were saying the same things, just not to the war-- mongers face in the White House. The CIA was in the business of smearing any famous person who spoke out against the war in those days at the direction of one of the most powerful presidents ever in history.

Mrs. LBJ was a Texas woman and they have funny nicnames in the American south as a cultural norm. It is a sign of affection and respect in the community.

Archived