A serious buyer who isn't responding

imadou

Hi guys,

a buyer ordered a gig from me with extras, we were communicating well but since 2 days before the deadline he is not responding, and were are now 2 days after the deadline. should i keep waiting him ? because as i say he is serious, or i should cancel and wait him to come back and make another order ?

Thanks

Reply to @imadou: Here’s the thing. You just need to make sure they understand that you want their business, but that you have an obligation to make sure that orders are completed on time. And since you don’t have the detail you need to complete their request, you’ll have to close the order. But you can also tell them that you’ve already started on their order, and look forward to completing it when they are ready.

Cancelling an order doesn’t mean that you don’t want their business, it just means that you can’t fulfill the expectation (since you don’t have the information). You’ll deal with this again I’m sure. It happens to everyone.

Reply to @whitneymoorecs: You know, I can certainly understand your point, but I’m not sure I agree. I regularly over deliver. I think it’s part of moving up the food chain here. Getting taken advantage of is also pretty normal. I think we’ve all been there.

Once you get established, get people following you, and acquire some repeat business, you increase your rates, which results in more serious buyers. The higher your rate, the more serious the buyer. The less games you have to play.

And yes, you’ll lose business by increasing rates, but you gain revenue. It’s just a balancing act. And I’m not sure you can put yourself on that trajectory if you don’t over-deliver. In fact, I’d argue that a gig should be setup in such a manner than the customer always thinks they got more than what they paid for.

Just another angle to consider 🙂

Archived