A Simple Marketing Strategy for Writers and Editors

plrichens

There are no easy answers to marketing your gigs, and for writers and editors it can be really tough. For me, attracting tons of clients is not nearly as important as attracting the RIGHT clients.

Let me give a little background. I have had a Fiverr account before. I reached level 2 with something like 150 orders in 1 1/2 months a few years ago. This was a writing gig for 5000 words in 24 hours with research. After 1 1/2 months I was completely burnt out. I was doing all kinds of writing on subjects that I didn’t necessarily agree with, or want to be part of. While that’s somewhat to be expected when you offer writing as a service, a girl can only take so much on Vaping, Sex Toys, and Erotica, lol. I cashed out my PayPal account and turned off my account.

I decided to give Fiverr another try because I believe the platform is very plastic and exactly what I am looking for. Due to the fact that my old account was no longer active, and I really didn’t want to jump right back into the same trap, I created a new account. This time I have only offered gigs that I would be happy to do for anyone. I valued my time better, I no longer crank out 5000 word gigs in 24 hours for $5. In fact, I don’t even offer content writing, I freaking hate it.

What I did do was picture the ideal gigs that I wanted to do for other people, and the ideal client I wanted to work with. I want to make lasting relationships with writers and authors that are on the same page as me (oh! the puns). I don’t mind spending a lot of time on one project, but I want that project to be something that my clients and I can be proud of. I want to do projects that make us both want to work together again and again.

My gigs don’t offer the moon; this keeps the scammers and chiselers at bay. In fact, my gig descriptions sound a little standoffish. I don’t share my gigs randomly into social networks. I sure as hell don’t advertise my services in the Buyer’s Request section. I very rarely look at the Buyer’s Requests because they’re outrageous or complete nonsense. I barely advertise at all, yet I’m starting to get orders rolling in.

How can that be? I do actual networking. I am a member of many online writers groups, and I have become a member of their communities. I offer writing workshops in my physical community. I attend conferences on editing and writing. In other words, I’m doing it the old fashioned way; I’m building relationships and a business. I have never offered my services to someone I haven’t at least had one positive online social interaction with.

Bottom Line:

There are no shortcuts to business worth doing. There is no magic marketing bullet to get thousands of page views a day from people you genuinely want to work with. This is especially true for those of us working in the Language Arts.

I hope this strategy helps give other newbies perspective. There is plenty of work to go around in this category if you set yourself apart from the herd.

Heh. I think it takes a while for gigs to update. If it doesn’t though, you could always chuck something in the description about “spotting deliberate mistakes such as the one in this description!” (which is also convenient for smartasses like me when we come along…)

Well fair do’s. I’m not a big fan of the networking myth myself. In my old company, it was all ‘remember to do some great networking at the next AGM’ etc. However, whatever event it was, all networking would ever really be about was mad people rushing about trying to impress as many people as possible with how important they were.

Our old inept head of marketing: “Andy! Did I give you my card?”

Me: “No. If I ever want to talk to you, I’ll press 5 on the phone as always.”

Don’t get me wrong, it’s great to have connections. I just always found that real world networking was like bobbing apples with people’s egos. I prefer finding specific people who I think can benefit me directly, reaching out to them and building up a network that way. Not that I do anymore, really.

Also, how is this networking working in regard to orders on Fiverr? Are you trying to divert interested parties to your gigs? If so, wouldn’t it be easier to set yourself up your own website, divert your networking people there and use Fiverr as a buffer income source? After all, what happens if someone you network with decides to take a chance on another Fiverr seller and drops you?

Several things:

1. Maintaining my own website was a huge pain in the ass. Having a presence on 3 or 4 platforms and including Fiverr is more work than I care to do. If I wanted a full-time job, I’d go get one.

2. There is a difference between sniffing butts looking for work among strangers and getting to know people who need your services. Networking events are a complete waste of time. Teaching a workshop at the county library to authors who are looking to self publish is different animal altogether. Being a contributing member of a writing group is not the same as showing up to a mixer and hoping to get your name in front of a bunch of people.

3. If I decide to work with someone they fully understand how I operate and how my gig is offered. If they’ve already made a connection with me, they usually aren’t the type of cheap b*****d that looks for someone else to do it for nothing. They’re not scanning Fiverr in the first place.

I don’t know. It was all so sudden. I was out walking the dog and they bundled me into a van. They say this is how things are now… 🙂

Obviously, it wasn’t that dramatic. I just got a message asking the other day. I didn’t realize it was a big deal actually.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound critical. It’s great to get as many feelers out as possible when you’re trying to find clients etc. I just thought that your networking drive sounded like a full-time job in itself.

You did post this as a tip for sellers and as a writer myself I personally don’t think it’s very practical for many Fiverr based freelance writers.

Think about it. You’re doing face to face marketing with people in your workshops, you’re being active in a shed of writing forums and you are attending courses. Now if you have established that kind of network, the logical thing to do is funnel all those people into a single place such as your website.

Instead, you’re driving them to somewhere where there are thousands of competitors waiting. Sorry, it just doesn’t make sense to me. I really didn’t mean to upset you, though.

Guest article_profits

That 5000 words in 24 hrs got my attention. You must really be talented or just very generous.

An interesting story. If you are tired, and burned out… My thought would be that you didn’t need to completely shut down your account. Simply Increase you prices, and increase your delivery time - then put in CAPITAL LETTERS: I WILL NOT WORK ON INAPPROPRIATE MATERIAL. You’ll get fewer orders… but you’ll make more per order.

Problem solved, and you don’t have to start all over with a new account after you’ve reached level 2.

However, I’m glad you’re finding other ways to be successful and accomplish your goals.

Good job!

Archived