A tip I learned this week that should work for anyone

barrelofmonkeys

Respect your work.
I’m a voice actor and had a repeat buyer. That’s awesome! I love repeat buyers. Problem was, he kept asking for 4,5, and 6 free revisions. I’m a people pleaser so I did them for free but this morning they stated on one of my recordings I missed a word. I listened to that exact one and, sure enough, I didn’t. I was incredibly frustrated, resent it to him, told him I recorded this previously mentioned word, and any additional revisions will require a new order.

I’m more than happy to help and bend over backwards to get my buyers the best product I can get them but I also learned that if you did your best, and know you didn’t make any mistakes without a doubt, then be confident with it.

Many of us are like you and we respect ourselves and our work.

I don’t do any free revisions unless I make an error. If I read it wrong, or otherwise don’t read the script correctly, it’s on me. I’ve delivered almost 5,000 gigs, and I’ve had that “no revision” policy since I had my first 100 reviews.

If you’re giving them 4 to 6 free revisions, that’s because you didn’t let them know “this is the last free revision” after they request the second (since you say they get two revisions on your gig).

In other words, just tell them when they request the second revision that’s the last free one and you’ll save tons of grief. Or reduce your number to one free one and let them know you’ll they have used the free one when they make that request.

Of course, you can relax that standard for any client who is worth it (for any reason you choose), but overall once you’re established, multiple free revisions are not a win from my point of view. (People will abuse whatever you let them abuse… and if you’re good, someone shouldn’t need more than one revision, unless they don’t spell out what they want in the beginning.)

You’re on the right path. If you’re delivering excellence, don’t do more for free.

I had a buyer recently that provided the order details I needed for his request, and I delivered fantastic well-thought-out work. After delivery, he stated that he liked the work I delivered, but wanted me to “sweeten the pot” with some more work, just so he could have a few more ideas to choose from.

The thing is, I had already delivered his purchased order… there was no pot to sweeten. He just wanted more work – and didn’t want to pay for it. He thought I would give him everything he wanted, just because he wanted it. But that’s not how business works.

There will always be buyers who don’t care about the rules and terms of a service. They just want what they want, and they have no qualms about how they get it. If you did a great job, if you delivered what they ordered, stand strong. Don’t give in to their bully tactics. Buyers do not deserve anything more than they rightfully pay for, or you allow within the terms of your gig. Bad buyers will eagerly take advantage of weak sellers. Don’t give them that opportunity.

• 6 months later...

asking for 4,5, and 6 free revisions. I’m a people pleaser so I did them for free but this morning they stated on one of my recordings I missed a word. I listened to that exact one and, sure enough, I didn’t. I was incredibly frustrated, resent it to him, told him I recorded this previously mentioned word, and any additional revisions will require a n

Archived