Fiverr Community Forum

A video spokesperson should have the right to be selective and protect their image

Most people ordering our service are legitimate business owners, startups or affiliate marketers and drop shippers, who pour their heart and soul into their business, and I absolutely adore making videos for them.

However…

There are MANY people, who order a spokesperson video for their business, because they would be embarrassed to show their face on their websites. Most of the time even their profile pictures and names are fake for this very reason! They basically build quick cheap website, find PLR blogs and sell affiliate products they have never even seen in real life - you know the new ‘laptop lifestyle aka get rich quick automating niche social media accounts’ kind of way…

Then there are those people, who literally scam people out of their money… No way am I going to have my smile scam people out of their retirement plans…

Then there might be preferences we have. For example, personally, I am vegan, and I would rather not say how amazing someone’s new sausage roll or leather jackets are. I might not want to film a political video or a religious video… I have this stated on the gig’s page and in the requirements section. There are MANY buyers who skip over that. I even had orders from fetishists “move your hair seductively in front of your face” “Throw a cake in your face” “Make video of feet dear please”, so I cancel, so my completion rate goes down, so I lose my badges, so I have to delete my 15 of my gigs, because I am only allowed 7 now… so I get less orders… you get the point)

Are we allowed to make video commercials for awesome businesses without having to lose our dignity please? We show our own face alongside a business, and there should be an exception for us. I used to be a top rated seller here for 3 years, I lost my badges, because I decided to protect my image, for the sake of those good businesses that do have my face on their front pages.

My suggestion: let us approve the orders. Let us have a button saying ‘accept or decline’. Let us keep our image, most of us are actors. I am a professional working stage actress, but maybe one day I will feel like acting in a movie and someone will dig up my video about erectile disfunction pills from a badly designed website with comic sans as their font, because I was too afraid to cancel that one time… Can you even imagine explaining to Ellen Degeneres that Fiverr only allows you to cancel max 10% of the offers? Kidding aside, if you’re worried, you could add an extra section to our profile: “chances of getting approved by this seller: 70%”. You can still count our cancellations too, but only if it’s after delivery or after we actually engage with the buyer in messages after seeing their website or script…

I was away from Fiverr for this reason, but you know what? I love this job, I love editing videos, it is a creative outlet for me. I would like to keep doing this without losing self respect, that’s all I am saying. Fiverr pretty please, think about us spokespeople :slight_smile:

Have a good night everyone!
Love, Patty Sway

1 Like

That sounds yuk, Patty - sorry you’re getting this type of client.

First - you can ask CS to cancel orders that ask for things not included in your gig. Ask them to cancel without affecting your stats and they’ll often do that.

Second - double your basic pricing.

@lenasemenkova - anything to add?

1 Like

2 Likes

Thanks for your tips coerdelion. What I mean is that I would like to be able to decide, whether I want to represent a business with my face. Or for Fiverr to let us have a slightly higher margin for cancellations due to this image dilemma. If I was a writer, I would not have as much to lose, because nobody will know it’s me. With video presenting, I guess I could get a wig and play with makeup for those less professional websites :wink: Or just remove my host gigs and only do editing of footage. I am thinking about this actually. Just thought I would give it a last go and throw this suggestion out there :slight_smile: I will definitely thin about removing basic pack from my gigs, and just have a higher starting point. Good idea, thank you!

1 Like

I hope I’m not prying here. I notice you don’t have a seller level, despite having over 800 reviews. Were your most recent demotions because you had to cancel lots of unsuitable orders?

I’m sure your customers love you, too. You’re very good at your job. :slight_smile:

1 Like

My cancellation rate is always around 80% - 85%, not enough for any level :wink: I got demoted back when they implemented the 90% rule for ‘order completion’. Every month one level down… Thank you so much ahmwritingco <3

EDIT: I meant to say my completion rate is 80%-85% - I am not THAT selective haha

3 Likes

That sucks. :confused:

You certainly make a compelling case.

1 Like