A way to sort gigs by location

investment316

For buyers looking for someone to make business calls for them, I find it would be immensely helpful to have a feature that sorts gigs by location. Say for example I am looking for individuals based in the US to make a few calls for me but I’m finding many sellers based outside of the US instead. Some of these sellers might not even be able to help me out because calling the US would be too costly for them.

• 1 month later...

As soon as you give people the opportunity to browse by country you take away the whole global nature of the marketplace.

Let’s be honest, those sellers who languish in countries outside of Europe and North America will stand next to no chance of getting sales and thus they will disappear from Fiverr. In addition to this, I bet more people will try to fake their location. This means that the feature would not be that effective anyway.

I see very little benefit to this idea.

investment316 said:
  • Reply to @ryangillam: But depending on the nature of the gig, sellers outside of North America would likely not be able to help me anyways. There would also be little point to people faking their location depending on what the gig is about.

Indeed, however it is going to be a very rare situation where you would need a 'location specific' gig. If this idea is added to one category then it needs to be added to all of them. This would mean that sellers outside of English speaking companies would lose out on business in just about every category there is.

investment316 said:
Reply to @ryangillam: I'm not sure if I would consider most of the phone related gigs or the gigs that ship items to be that rare. From my experience with contacting sellers, international shipping or international calls are too cost prohibitive.

Rate this commentVote Up0Vote Down

They are rare in comparison to many of the other gigs on Fiverr which do not require the person to be based in any specific location. This is just a feature which would benefit the minority really. The majority will have to deal with the problems it creates. Despite being an English writer I would have a problem with this feature. If it was created then the majority of people that head to the site will search for 'American' writers. This is despite me being perfectly capable of writing in an American style. If I changed my location to Sweden (which is where I am actually located right now) then I would have to kiss goodbye to any hope of future sales.

Everyone’s flag appears on their profile so you know which countries they are from. I don’t understand the issue. Can’t I just look at the flag in their profiles before I consider reading their description or hiring them? Is this the “problem”? That I would be too lazy to look at the flag?

Reply to @cheezees: Sort by location is a convenient time saving feature. By your rationality, you would be calling everyone that uses any convenient feature to be ‘lazy’. I don’t understand why there is so much opposition to a “sort by location” function when buyers can already see your flags.

Reply to @ryangillam: I seriously don’t think this feature is as threatening as you think it is. If I was looking for an English writer, I would absolutely not search specifically for an American writer. In addition, if there are gigs that would benefit by location, the buyer would likely just look at the flag anyways. If you seriously believe that buyers will discriminate based on your location, they would already be doing it since they can see your flag. A sort by location will not decrease your sales and will only be a convenient function for buyers. eBay among other businesses gives their buyers this function with good results.

By your rational(ity) (sic), racism can be masked by “convenience”. So, I’m sticking with “lazy”. I hope there is never a feature that isolates some sellers geographically. We all know who the “losing” countries will be. I have not been convinced that this will ever be a good or just idea.

• 9 months later...

I need help researching and doing business with Singapore and would love to be able to search by location.

On Elance they let you and that has never changed my view on hiring. In fact, it has given me an appreciation for other countries and how hard they work to compete in comparison to the US.

• 1 month later...

I just joined and was thinking the same thing.

Vastly different time zones could be a hindrance.

Or say one was trying to collect images from all the state capitals.

Next they might go for all the world capitals.

Some websites are targeted to people in certain countries / states.

Owners of those sites, whom wish to use fiverr, would benefit from such a feature.

It would be rarer for a seller to target a geographical area.

So putting a location in the gig would not make as much sense.

Sellers that feel disadvantaged could offer more services for the same price.

That too, in turn, would help buyers.

Buyers that are looking for more services could search for those locations.

Buyers that want a better deal will be happy too.

Not sure why something that helps buyers could ever be a bad idea.

If buyers move on to other alternatives…

Less buyers would hurt all sellers.

• 2 years later...

upwork has this feature and I love it

Certain projects are better suited for dif countries, there is no racism or bigotry involved.

I just came across fiverr and have used other freelance sites extensively. I must say that I cant use fiverr because they dont have this feature

I must say that I cant use fiverr because they dont have this feature

You can. You just don’t want to do the research necessary to find the right seller for you. 😉

Archived