Fiverr Forum

About taking on projects you can't really do

Hey guys. Lately I’ve gotten a lot of messages from buyers asking me if I can take on projects that I am not qualified for. Of course I answer that I’m not able to do what they’re looking for, and if I can, I direct them to someone else that might be able to do it.
The thing is, that each time I write such a message, the buyer seems a bit too excited about me just being honest. This has gotten me thinking, how many times has this buyer bought a gig, and not gotten what they expected? Am I the only one that doesn’t take on projects I’m not qualified for doing? I know there are a bunch of sellers advertising stuff they can’t really do, but this is not about them. This is about you good, honest sellers, that sometimes get requests that are a little too hard for you to handle. What do you do when getting such a request? Do you politely say no, or do you go “sure, I’ll figure it out” and take on the project anyways? When I was a new freelancer, I often did the latter. I needed the job, and for $5 I put hours of work into learning something that I had not advertised was in my skill-set from the start. Luckily it mostly turned out fine, but it wasn’t worth it for me. And probably not for my buyers either. I’m sure they could’ve gotten something much better from someone with more experience.
So the question is, what do you do? Do you take on the projects and either try to get it as good as possible for a few cents an hour, or deliver something that does not live up to the buyers expectation? Or do you simply say no?

So glad to see someone doing exact the same thing like me
I also the same
Why waste the time of the buyer when you can’t do it?

Same here.

I told a client that I do not offer the services that he was requesting, and directed him to the category page where he would have found potential sellers who deliver what he was looking for. He simply told me that he was excited that I was responsive and knowledgeable in my field, then he inquired if there was a different way to do it such that it fits in to the mold of what I was offering, so I created a custom order.

RE : So the question is, what do you do?
There are certain programming languages which I am well versed with, but they are not suited for a micro gig economy due to their complexity (making an android app, for example). The client I mentioned wanted a working prototype of a Java app, basically a responsive skeleton of the app with the buttons and submit forms, which he could then show to his investors, but is requirement stopped short of actually building the app. I proposed that the alternate way to do it was to build a mobile responsive webpage and emulate the app prototype. The client agreed and I delivered the webpage.

Long story short : He was looking for a Java based applet, but settled for an HTML5 based applet since it was just a prototype for ‘show and tell’.

Communicate. That is what I suggest.

I recently turned down a client that was willing to pay a good amount for a task I was just not qualified to handle. I felt really bad because I am a newbie seller and the money was really tempting. And just like you, the client was very happy and sent me a message that went something like “Thanks a lot for being honest”