Fiverr Community Forum

Accessing VAT ID

Hello, I was wondering if there is a way to access the buyers’ VAT ID (assuming they have one). I live in the EU, and as far as I can understand the laws of my country, I need to report my buyers’ VAT ID nr in my bookkeeping when I sell to businesses within the EU. When selling to persons within EU VAT is paid by me, but otherwise it is not.

I can’t find this information anywhere in my orders. I have only sold on fiverr so far, never bought anything, but from what I read, FIverr sends invoices to buyers, which would include their VAT ID (again, assuming they need to have one), but I can’t see what the invoice looks like. It seems strange to me that Fiverr has access to buyers’ VAT ID (from the billing form), but that I as the actual seller cannot access it.

So, is it possible to access my buyers VAT ID?
If it isn’t, how have other sellers managed it? Do you ask the buyer to provide it?

(I have tried searching the forum on this topic, but cannot find any post that asks this particular question)

2 Likes

You have two options when it comes to performing a VAT registration check in the UK. You could:

• Call the HMRC VAT Helpline on 0300 200 3700. This line is open between 8am and 8pm during the week.
  • Use the VIES website, an online VAT checker for businesses in the EU. This website uses real-time data feeds from individual member states’ VAT systems.

If the website shows a VAT number as invalid, you should double check with the company to make sure you have the correct number. You might also wish to inform them that the VIES site is displaying the number as invalid so they can contact HMRC to correct any problems with this.

@advcidrah - useful info, but the OP’s from Sweden, not the UK. :slightly_smiling_face:

@sofiasman - your client is Fiverr, not your individual buyers. They pay Fiverr, who then pay you, so you’re not dealing directly with your buyers at all.

2 Likes

VAT id number used within the EU.

Thank you, but I don’t live in the UK.
Furthermore, in order to check that the VATnr is valid, I would have to know it first, and that’s my problem, I can’t find a way to access it, even though Fiverr would have it.

Do you ask your clients for their VAT? And if so, do you do that in the gig requirements/questions or ask them in PM?

Indeed it is - perhaps the OP could find a phone number in Sweden to find out about VAT in Sweden rather than a UK one? :slightly_smiling_face:

@merciavideo Hm, information that I have found so far suggest that’s not completely true because of the nature of how we get in contact with our buyers. Because Fiverr mediates the contact, but all communication takes place seller to buyer, and because I sell services and not goods, Fiverr doesn’t count as a marketplace (or something like that), so the tax system in my country still counts the buyer as my client, not Fiverr.

Obviously, They send me in pm. Normally buyers stated with requirements option “Already discussed in inbox”

1 Like

Ah well - it looks like you’re going to have to find out from Fiverr or somebody else. I’ve never heard of sellers asking for buyers’ VAT numbers - I’m not sure it’s information that buyers would actually want to give out to individual sellers to be honest.

Good luck with your search for info. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I never would! :slightly_smiling_face:

That’s still a UK number with an international dialling code added. It would be like me phoning Sweden to find the UK weather forecast. I’m sure the OP will be able to find a phone number or local office in Sweden to ask.

1 Like

All Swedish websites have UK VAT help line numbers.
Idk why :thinking:

Suggest you ask Customer Support for clarification. You will find the link at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

2 Likes

Hej!
Jag sitter med samma problem som du och undrar om/hur det löste sig för dig? :slight_smile:

En lösning jag hört om på annat håll är att använda Fiverr’s Cypern-adress om köparen är från inom EU, men Israel-adressen om de kommer från utanför EU.
Men det känns inte riktigt helt rätt, och det känns inte heller som om eu-lagstiftningen hängt med Gig-ekonomin.

Please post your comments in English, since this is an English language forum.