Fiverr Community Forum

Account flagged for sharing a Discord link?!?

I shared a Discord link with a Developer so we could chat a project. My account got flagged for sharing personal information. I don’t think Fiverr employees understand what Discord is if they think it’s any kind of private information sharing.

I wouldn’t have to use Discord if the chatting tools on Fiverr weren’t absolutely, horribly unusable for complicated project discussions.

1 Like

You violated the Terms of Service (TOS).

All communication must take place on Fiverr. If you need to give a developer an e-mail so he can log in to your wordpress site, use an attachment. Also, if you get a warning when you write a word with “email”, either don’t use that word or use “e-mail.”

7 Likes

Oh they do, and that’s why it’s forbidden. Any platform where you can take business outside of fiverr or chat is forbidden.

What is it that you are missing in chatting system on fiverr that other platform has?

5 Likes

If you have to ask, I’m guessing you haven’t used the other tools. Fiverr has no ‘chat’ system, it’s a messaging system. It’s literally the difference between email and chat. You can’t hold a discussion regarding a big project with a lot of back and forth.

No I didn’t and that’s why I was asking.

However regardless of difference between chat and messaging system it’s not good enough reason to share personal details with other platform just because of that.

5 Likes

No personal information was shared. Regardless, support got back to me saying I was correct, but that, as mentioned by fastcopywriter above, it’s still a TOS violation to communicate outside of Fiverr. That’s quite ridiculous for programming and dev projects, where constant, realtime communication is a necessity, and the Fiverr platform just isn’t built for that.

It’s against fiverr polices.

Please read the terms and conditions as fiverr only give one WARNING. Be careful next time!!

Fiverr provide us a great message system by which there is no need left to take the buyer/seller outside as it is against the policies.

2 Likes

No one is providing the exact quote where it’s a violation. Only sharing personal information outside of Fiverr is a violation. Outside communication is not. I’ve read the TOS, and all it says regarding outside communication is that you lose protection of the TOS. If both Buyer and Seller are fine losing protection of the TOS, what’s the issue? It’s certainly not a violation.

From communicating back and forth with Fiverr Support, I’m getting all kinds of mixed messages.

Please provide the exact quote from the TOS from the Violations section. It doesn’t exist.

From the TOS:

To protect our users’ privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, ■■■■■/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.

By sending a discord link/contact details / messaging on discord, you’re circumventing the Fiverr messaging system/Fiverr platform.

If something was definitely needed by the gig it should be allowed, but it’s best to contact CS first to get their permission so you don’t risk a warning (and anything like that, if allowed, should be exchanged on the order page). But the Fiverr inbox seems more or less real-time for messaging (you can see when someone is typing etc. even though I think sometimes you need to refresh the page for messages to appear).

6 Likes

The above section you posted is pretty jumbled legalese. I’m not a lawyer, but the above relates to attempting to obtain personal information, in order to circumvent the Fiverr messaging system. The intent mentioned is the personal/private information.

This is why everywhere else, it just says that by communicating outside of Fiverr, you lose protection of the TOS.

This is also why, it’ll never be a clear answer. It’s not expressly prohibited, because, as you said …

since they seem to make arbitrary rules.

1 Like

yea, that can be true…but you can share anything with him/her using that chat tool…that’s why it’s forbidden here

Yes there is no need to use Discord. None.

And it should be clear why it is against Fiverr’s ToS.

Not arbitrary. They do allow communication outside of Fiverr if it’s necessary to complete the work (for example, if someone is offering lessons via S.kype, they will get the permission from CS to do it as long as the S.kype details are exchanged on the order page, not prior to ordering).

The issue is that you can get an account warning, and, if you repeat it, get permanently banned from Fiverr. Whoever agrees to contact you outside of Fiverr also risks getting permanently banned (and losing their livelihood, too, if Fiverr is their main source of income). How would you feel if someone could no longer feed their family because they’ve agreed to talk to you outside of Fiverr? Do you think it’s ok to ask someone to risk that?

3 Likes

It’s not legalese. It’s very clear. “Personal contact details” just means any details that relate to you as a unique individual and alternative methods of contact. It’s to stop people from using fiverr to get clients, then telling them to email you/contact you on discord/any other chatting platform, then telling them to pay you via paypal instead of fiverr for the work in order to avoid the 20% fee.

You trying to make it about “sharing personal information for the sake of sharing personal information” doesn’t really make sense - that’s not what the rule is for from a business standpoint. It is a very clear rule. Don’t take peopel outside of fiverr since that would allow you to use the site as a client farm without ever making them any money.

3 Likes

That’s false. Most of my orders are big ones (novels), and I’ve never needed to chat with someone off platform.

1 Like

That wasn’t legalese. That was crystal clear.

" Requesting or providing Email addresses, ■■■■■/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted."

What’s unclear about that? To me it clearly states, don’t communicate outside of Fiverr!

This is legalese:

“In witness whereof the parties hereunto have set their hands to these presents as a deed on the day month and year hereinbefore mentioned.”

Translated from legalese to English, this simply refers to the “Date” line which often follows a signature. That’s right – two lines of text just to ask for the date.

I agree. Most buyers and sellers know how to ask for what they want, the ones that don’t need to work on that.

4 Likes

Thats where your wrong. I make discord bots and i like to show people the bots as i make them so they can make changes as i go along. I NEED discord so that i can message people. Without it my gig would be pointless. I think fiverr should allow me to message people. All my payments end up going through fiverr anyway. I got my second strike today becuase of this and i honestly dont know what to do. Fiverrs messaging system is god ■■■■■■■ awful and hasnt been updated since 12 ■■■■■■■ bc.

Read this: Don't do it! .... You Have Been Warned!

You didnt get my point. My service is discord. I make bots for discord. I use discord. I need discord. using fiverrs messaging system is like walking to the shops but going to the ■■■■■■■ moon instead. Its incredibly dumb and takes ages to do. It makes making my services horrible and i cant do my gigs because of how shitty they made this messaging system. Its so crude ad unusable.