Fiverr Forum

Advanced Rating System (Pros & Cons)

Hi everyone!

I’m new on the forum, well not new but new to posting… Normally I just read what other people have to say. Nice to meet you all :slight_smile:

I’ve seen how many of you are really upset about the recent changes to the rating system and I was too when I first heard about it. I stressed myself out thinking “how am I possibly going to get 5 stars on every job to keep myself at 100%?!?!” because we all get those buyers who are just impossible to please, no matter how nice you are and how fast you deliver. They may rate you 3 or 4 stars because they know it will hurt you without causing suspicion from CS if reported.

After thinking long and hard about why they have implemented a rating system which most sellers are against, I realised that yes there are cons about this but there are also pros which I will state below.

Cons:

(1) Buyers who are against giving 5 stars for anything, no matter how good the work is.

(2) Giving more control to buyers who may abuse the system to get free or extra work.

(3) Buyers not knowing how to use the rating system, giving you a low rating when they are perfectly satisfied with your work.

(4) Buyers who just can’t be bothered rating you because it’s more complicated.

(5) Sellers who offer longer deliver times will be marked down on something which they’ve already stated in their gig description.

(6) Sellers who offer “novelty” gigs being rated on “would you buy again?”(Probably not because it’s a novelty!).

Pros:

(1) Sellers who are offering gigs similar to yours but not delivering quality work will go down in the searches, therefor raising the position of sellers who offer quality work.

(2) Having 100% will become nearly impossible, eventually most good sellers will sit somewhere in the 90’s so worrying about being rated 4 stars for a gig delivery here and there won’t be as horrible as it seems now.

(3) Buyers will receive higher quality work, therefor most will return to order more gigs(I mean who hasn’t been more aware of their costumer service since the ARS kicked in? I know I have.)

So after being not so sure about it in the beginning, I think now that maybe it isn’t such a bad idea. Sure there will always be buyers who abuse the system and try to get free work but that was happening before the ARS came into place.

I know I’ve only been here just over a month but I’ve already made a very decent amount of money here and hope to continue working on Fiverr as it is amazing to be able to work from home. I’ve had 6 reviews since ARS was activated on my profile, I’ve received 5 stars from all my buyers so far but I know that the luck of that continuing with every buyer is going to end at some point. 95% of my buyers are amazing and I really appreciate their business but that 5% that abuse the system really ruin it for everyone, I know I’ve thought about leaving a couple of times after dealing with bad buyers.

Personally I prefer the thumbs rating but I will adapt to the ARS if I have to.

What does everyone else think about it?

Do you have any more pros or cons to add?

All the talking points FOR ARS are reasonable points. Actually they are pretty much the same talking points used for thumbs up and thumbs down rating. Those who are FOR ARS is missing the point of those who are AGAINST ARS

A typical talking point FOR ARS is “give outstanding service and communicate with the buyer and he will rate you accordingly”. and I agree with that assumption when dealing with a reasonable buyer.

The point that I and many others have been trying to make is that Fiverr has more than their share of unreasonable buyers. Actually, as Fiverr has grown, the number of buyers trying to manipulate sellers has grown three fold. Maybe some gigs are more prone than others for buyer’s manipulation but hardly a day goes by I don’t get more than my share of buyers trying to take advantage of my gig. If I’m on my game I can stop them before we even get started but all it takes is for one to slip by to ruin your reputation.

I’ll get buyers who say they understand my gig and understand what I’m offering but only after they buy or I deliver the gig do they start asking for more than the gig offered. My choose is “cancel and throw away hours of work” – “give them their $50 worth of changes for $5” – "say no and get a negative review"

I think the whole jest of those who are against ARS is that their is no RECOURSE for sellers when they are confronted with unreasonable buyers (and again, the number of unreasonable buyers are growing).

1. You can’t block them from contacting you or buying from you

2. A buyers rating does not show up in their profile so other sellers can check it out

3. A buyer should not be able to change his rating at any time – now he can change it one month, two months, ten months later if he wishes.

I don’t HOW any buyer or seller would think that #3 above is reasonable. There has been enough posts on the forum where a buyer has bought a gig and not only gave a unfair rating but changed any previous positive rating that were months old to a negative rating. If it was good 4 months ago, but now that they are dissatisfied with the current job, why are they suddenly dissatisfied with previous work that was rated highly at the time. Is that reasonable? It would like me going in to a store to buy a shirt and because I was unhappy with that shirt, the store would let me return that shirt and all previous shirts I bought months ago because i was dissatisfied with the current purchase.

I guess where the disagreement mostly lies between PRO v.s CON ARS is when PRO says “sure there are abusive buyers” as if that in itself is not a problem. Again, maybe certain gigs get more abusive buyers than other gigs, but in my mind, there are way too many abusive buyers and Fiverr needs to do something about it – I know they would do something about an abusive seller in a heart beat.

I use the term “make the playing field even” but even it that isn’t acceptable at least don’t make a sellers job any more stressful by letting buyers change months old ratings out of spite. And if there is an unreasonable buyer, Fiverr CS should help, but their usual response is “we can’t change a buyer’s rating without their consent” My response is if they are abusive, how come you can’t change it? Fiver makes their own rules and the fact Fiverr says they can’t change it means that they made a rule saying they can’t change it. I say, change the rule, Fiverr.

Lets face it, both sides want to get rid of abuse. Buyers want to get rid of abusive sellers and sellers want to get rid of abusive buyer. I just think buyers have more tools to help them.

If you were advising a buyer right now how to avoid abusive sellers you would probably tell them “look at their ratings from previous clients”. No guarantees but at least it is better than no tools.

If you were telling a seller how to avoid an abusive buyer what tool can they use or what advise would you give them?

wikihelp said: Pros:
(1) Sellers who are offering gigs similar to yours but not delivering quality work will go down in the searches, therefor raising the position of sellers who offer quality work.

This is not different from the current system with the thumbs up and thumbs down and there is no way anyone but fiverr staff know what drives gigs up and down.
wikihelp said: (2) Having 100% will become nearly impossible, eventually most good sellers will sit somewhere in the 90's so worrying about being rated 4 stars for a gig delivery here and there won't be as horrible as it seems now.

Only for honest sellers. I have already seen services springing up for 5 star reviews just like for e bay, who incidentally are changing their feedback system right now. As for the ratings people will get. Different people ( buyers) have different perceptions of what they should rate and one persons five star is another persons three star which is not only going to affect feedback decisions but buying decisions.
wikihelp said: (3) Buyers will receive higher quality work, therefor most will return to order more gigs(I mean who hasn't been more aware of their costumer service since the ARS kicked in? I know I have.)

Most sellers already deliver high quality work, how are they going to change the quality of what they deliver? If there are sellers who do not care about quality now they are not going to care about it in the future and will not care about how they are rated regardless of the rating methodology used.

@WikiHelp - One pro you might add: rating gigs by “Seller Communication”, “Service as Described”, and “Buy Again” may be helpful for sellers to know where they need to improve. Especially, if it’s based on feedback from many customers.

@SteveEyes - I support #1 and #3. There should be a time limit on feedback and sellers should be able to block buyers if they find it necessary. You should submit your ideas to Fiverr. You never know, they might implement it. They got rid of penalties for cancellations…

Reply to @markp: Good points, Mark.

You know, Mark, I never understood the double standard. Plenty of times I read “some buyers abuse is to be expected” yet I never read "some sellers abuse is to be expected"

If anything, when a seller abuses a buyer, sellers on the forum are usually apologetic which is good. But if a seller is going to say that some “buyer abuse should be expected” than it would be reasonable to say “some seller abuse is to be expected” But we all know that if a seller abuses a buyer there are plenty of recourse a buyer can take. Not so for sellers.

Reply to @typingservice: How do you know that I have not done so already? I have, plenty of times, the same as others. Have you?

wikihelp said: (2) Giving more control to buyers who may abuse the system to get free or extra work.

I think they will have less control. As it was, a single click is all it took to present your work as a total failure. Now it takes at least three.

wikihelp said: 5) Sellers who offer longer deliver times will be marked down on something which they've already stated in their gig description.

I believe that "Response" time is not meant to be "Delivery" time. They should be more clear about that.
wikihelp said: (2) Having 100% will become nearly impossible, eventually most good sellers will sit somewhere in the 90's so worrying about being rated 4 stars for a gig delivery here and there won't be as horrible as it seems now.

Agreed. In the long run, Sellers will be differentiated by tenths of points and buyers might not be looking at sellers Feedback just to read the Negative Reviews.

Reply to @steveeyes:I think most of the things you mention are not changed from before ARS. ARS deals with Seller ratings not Buyer/Seller interactions which, of course, need to be reviewed and changed.

Any one who has read my posts knows that I am often critical of Fiverr, but in this case I am not giving them a Negative Review. 3.5 stars...maybe.

steveeyes said: Reply to @typingservice: How do you know that I have not done so already? I have, plenty of times, the same as others. Have you?

Oh. No. I haven't really given them much thought until I read your post. :) I do think the ideas (1& 3) would be an improvement.

I definitely agree with you @steveeyes, I think the ratings we give buyers should appear on their page and for there to also be an option to “accept” a gig or “reject” it if we feel uneasy about the buyer and what they are asking.

A downside to the buyer ratings for Fiverr is once bad buyers get bad feedback, they will create more than one account to get rid of their ratings and therefor break TOS. Maybe they need to also implement that you can only use a paypal account once for a Fiverr account and if you remove it, it cannot be added to another account.

I also agree with you about leaving feedback, buyers should be able to leave it once and only change it for the next 7 days. If they’re happy with the delivery for 7 days then there’s no reason for them to be unhappy after that. I’ve never had a buyer change feedback on me but I’ve read many stories on here where that’s happened.

Also once the gig is completed and no feedback is left, they should have 14 days to leave feedback before the option disappears.

I think in the end the thumbs up/down rating is the preferred option for everyone, but in saying that with some “modification” the new ARS could work as well.