Fiverr Community Forum

Afraid to Raise Prices due to Fiverr Algorithm

I get orders daily and a while ago I decided to raise my prices (which are very low considering my quality of work) by $5. I stopped getting orders almost entirely. So I put my prices back to normal but it was three more weeks before I started getting orders again. It must have to do with how Fiverr ranks gigs - it took them weeks to catch up with my re-lowered prices. Has this happened to anyone else? I now have over 140 perfect reviews and I’m tired of working for such low rates…but I’m afraid to raise my prices and lose a whole month’s worth of work again.

3 Likes

That’s probably the hardest decision a seller would make.

If you higher your prices but don’t receive any orders, that wouldn’t make any sense!

It’s a competitive market and being that you offer a great service at an amazing price, you’d only be building up your business to that you can sell even higher in the future!

Best of luck!

3 Likes

I’m guessing the root cause is not the ranking system. If you raise your prices then obviously some customers will go to your competition offering $5 gigs. When that happens you get less clicks, this is when the ranking kicks in as your gig is not converting anymore.

When I raised my prices I also started getting less orders, but my monthly revenue still increased as the few orders I did get were worth more. That being said, after the increase only 20% of orders are coming through search, 20% are coming from repeat customers and 60% comes through buyer requests.
So I have to put more effort into getting orders, but the quality of customers has significantly improved, I’m much happier as my time is worth more and monthly revenue is on a decent level :slight_smile:

If price is the only edge you have over your competition then I’d say you need to figure out what additional value you can offer to justify the increase.

3 Likes

Looking back, raising my rates was the single best thing I did last year. I kept a few $5 entry-level gigs, but quickly went from $200-$400 to $1000-1500+ per month. Even if I received fewer orders, those few orders provided a lot more revenue.
Of course, not every category is the same, but it’s good to experiment with a few gigs.

2 Likes

I understand your worry, I had the same issue a few months back when I made the hard choice of increasing the rates on my best seller. It took around a month before I started getting more than one order every other day, after a few more weeks I noticed that I started getting bigger orders than I was getting before.

I might get less orders but I end up making the same or more than I did with a $5 basic gig. But, to supplement my earnings, especially with the update and new algorithm, what I did was create a new gig offering 300 words for $5, so those clients that might not want to spend $10 for a 500 words article, or those that want to try out my skills first can order an article of 300 words.

You constantly have to be on your toes and promote to make it on fiver, especially if you are not lucky enough to be on the front page.

3 Likes

ok.no problem…thanks!!!

1 Like

What you said about the clicks makes sense. I irrefutably have more to offer than price. Writing is my greatest talent and I’ve spent hundreds of hours - maybe more - building my skills. Not only is my writing grammatically correct, unlike most writers at a similar price point, but it’s compelling and persuasive too.

That’s what makes it so frustrating when people choose to hire writers who speak English as a second language. Nevertheless, a lot of those writers still have tons of good reviews. I’m guessing the people hiring them either can’t tell that their writing is full of errors, or they don’t care about the quality, as they’re looking for the cheapest thing possible.

Okay, now that I’m done with that rant, the point is that it seems like a low price is the main thing people are looking for on Fiverr, and that’s why it’s hard to raise prices. Or maybe people looking for quality are specifically looking for gigs that are significantly more expensive than mine, as my prices are on the lower end. If you have any suggestions on that note, let me know. I don’t advertise my gigs anywhere; I just rely on people finding me in the search.

1 Like

How many reviews did you have when you raised your prices? Did anyone ask why your prices were different on different gigs?

1 Like

How do you promote your gigs? I personally feel that if I am to take the time and money to promote myself, I might as well target people who are willing to pay more, instead of directing them to Fiverr.

1 Like

I wasn’t questioning your skills. What I meant is that there are plenty of natives here with more reviews than you have yet offering their service for $5. As soon as you raise your price you might be taking yourself out of competition. So, you need to come up with something that will separate you from that group. (I’m not talking about low quality gigs here, those are not taking your clients away)

For example, a while back I hired a copywriter because they had an interesting writing style and a sense of humor. She was also native with 300+ reviews, but her gig description was the only one I remembered after reviewing 15+ gigs.
Another time I hired a writer because they had a captivating video. Not one of those whiteboard videos, an actual video about themselves (education, recent work, hobbies etc). No offence, but I’ve seen hundreds of gigs with those clipart covers. I’d rather click on the gig with your own photo, the one with the bird on it :slight_smile:

I’m not saying you should start cracking jokes, but you need to figure out what would engage your target audience so that they’d be willing to pay more. You might try targeting a specific niche, adding a video to one of your gigs, bringing a bit more personality to your profile & gigs. Unfortunately I don’t know what the right answer is, but based on your 140+ reviews I’d say you’re not that far off from the solution :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Well said. I love that you spit out the truth.

Bingo (20 characters)

1 Like

I’m wondering why increasing prices should affect the rate of getting orders. If you’re comfortable with my services and prices, you pay; if not, you go look for cheaper sellers…No hassles, no wahala…

1 Like

Another thing I forgot to mention.
Use the portfolio to showcase your articles. Your top selling gigs don’t have any samples. If you’re offering website content for About Us pages then how about posting a screenshot example. You can’t post links, but afaik there are no rules against posting a screenshot of About Us page :wink:

If you’re not allowed to show your previous work (ghostwriter rule) then the next time offer a discount to get a permission to show it in your portfolio.

1 Like

I gauged my prices through my custom proposals. For example, I started doing premium work for $5-$15 to get reviews, and after having 5-10 glowing reviews I started raising my prices on my custom quotes to $25-$50.

It took me a few months to go from $50 to $100, and sometimes I had to back track. But I focused on benefits to my clients.

I’ll give you an example. One of my gigs is book design. One of the usual fears of authors who self-publish is that the process is complicated. So, in my custom quotes I state that all necessary revisions are included. If a problem comes up, I do everything I need to get the job done, I reply fast and do the changes or offer al alternative.

My rationale is not: “I have cheap prices, but if you pay more you get premium service.” Instead, I sell that “I offer premium service.” I even had a client say that in his review: “Excellent experience! Matt is a class act. You’ll pay a bit more than the average Jane or Joe with Photoshop. But well worth the few bucks more to get “uptown” quality”

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m surprised to hear you say there are native English speakers offering their services for $5. The question is, $5 for how many words? I look periodically and I have only seen one native English speaker selling a page for $5. Those in the developed world simply cannot afford to work for so little.

Your recommendation of adding a video and samples is good. I recently started asking my clients if I could use their samples, so I am building up that portfolio. Adding the samples is a quick step I can take. Creating a video is a bit more daunting for me, but I’ll get there.

There are a few TRS offering $5 gigs starting with 300+ words. I didn’t check level 2 sellers, I’m guessing there are some on that level as well. Now I don’t know if they are outsourcing or not because they have a rather long queue, but if a customer sees $5 next to 1000+ reviews then it’s pretty hard to turn away from that :slight_smile:

So you need to start with your gig cover(or video) & title optimization to even get the first click. Once they open your gig details they will check your portfolio, then read your description, reviews and finally they will check the packages you offer.

I’m still on the fence about adding my own video. I know the benefits it will bring and I’m thinking about it, but it will take some time before I get it out there :slight_smile: I’ll probably hire someone to edit it for me.