After accepting to do a job, I'm usually not excited to do it - help

amandawallace88

I can relate to all these after about 13 orders. My issue, however, is on pricing. After accepting to do a job, I’m usually not excited to do it because of the low renumeration. Although my gigs are lowly priced so I can get easily noticed, but then I’m putting in so much work but getting paid a little.

Anyone want to give tips on that please?

I can relate to all these after about 13 orders. My issue, however, is on pricing. After accepting to do a job, I’m usually not excited to do it because of the low renumeration. Although my gigs are lowly priced so I can get easily noticed, but then I’m putting in so much work but getting paid a little.

Send them an offer for extras when they order if you feel it’s not enough.

You need to include a very nice friendly note to explain this to them.

I didn’t see how many sales you have but if you are fairly new you may have to simply

look at this as the initiation period and work very inexpensively for a while.

At the moment, you should be focusing on getting good reviews and moving up the seller levels. The money you make is basically irrelevant.
As a motivator, I think you should consider all of these jobs as interviews for a job that you actually want.
The job you want is to be a seller who gets paid commensurate with the amount of work you put it.
When you do a job interview, how much time and effort would you put in? You would rehearse answers, try to find out as much as you can about the company etc. You may also buy a new outfit, make sure you look your best and when you get there you will give it your all. Do this for your first 50-60 orders, get reviews, move up to level 2 and then put your prices up to reflect your quality of work.
At that point you will have had a successful interview and will have the job you wanted!

Please don’t take this wrong, but that’s life in business. If you are going to be successful in any business, there is an investment period. (Other startups often have thousands up front in cash… )

Few make great money in the start-up phases.

BTW - I just looked at your gig. You’re highly educated, you mention you have a decade of experience, but your prices are so low (we’ll, actually your word count is too high) for it to be believable.

IF you want to be low priced, consider setting your numbers to 750 or 500 words (pick your number), then offer a “first time buyers” discount of a free extra 250-500 words.

In other words, you have to be confident you’re worth what you’re charging.

Once you decide a price point, then you should consider putting your best into it each time, until you have the social proof to justify your prices. (Enough sales/reviews to prove you’re the real deal.)

Consider it your “Fiverr internship” and an investment.

If you’re going to use price as your initial hook, go all in with providing the best, but raise them ASAP, so you’re more motivated to get more business.

Usually better to have higher price then give a “first time” discount or bonus, than just be cheap. Also the buyers looking just for cheap are often far more trouble than the ones looking for quality and willing to invest a little more. Most understand even on Fiverr there are few free lunches.

There are many paths to success, but unless you’re motivated, it’s a tough road.

All the advice already given here about building your levels, reviews and customers is sound.

But someone else, @fastcopywriter I think, described it very well in a post recently - Fiverr is Walmart, so you have to charge Walmart prices. If you think you’re more of a Harrods sort of person then you might need to find a different site. I mean that in a nice way. Personally I have a couple of Walmart priced gigs here, and some Harrods priced gigs elsewhere. It’s taken a while but I’ve balanced what the various markets will pay and aligned my offerings accordingly.

Dear Amanda:

Just out of curiosity, I’d like to ask about a couple of stylistic choices you made in your profile text:

Hi! I am a native English speaker and I possess a decade’s worth of experience as a professional writer, editor & copywriter.

If your goal is a flawlessly written article, blog post, web content, or e-book on any topic, I’m just the right person to contact.
Your orders would be promptly delivered!

in the first paragraph, you do not use the Oxford comma, and you use “&”.

In the second paragraph, you do use the Oxford comma.

Why? Explain.

Also, “Your orders would be promptly delivered!” uses passive voice, as opposed to the active voice: “I will deliver your orders promptly!”.

Again, wherefore?

“Why is this thus? What is the reason for this thusness?”

Thank you,
Blaise

Dear Amanda:

Just out of curiosity, I’d like to ask about a couple of stylistic choices you made in your profile text:

Hi! I am a native English speaker and I possess a decade’s worth of experience as a professional writer, editor & copywriter.

If your goal is a flawlessly written article, blog post, web content, or e-book on any topic, I’m just the right person to contact.

Why? Explain.

Also, “Your orders would be promptly delivered!” uses passive voice, as opposed to the active voice: “I will deliver your orders promptly!”.

Again, wherefore?

Thank you,

Blaise

I just want to add to all the great comments that I did not get remuneration commensurate with the amount of time and effort I put into this for over two years here. And frankly I still probably don’t but I enjoy what I do and that is the most important thing to me.

Hi Amanda
Welcome to Fiverr 
I think your issue of being not motivated to do a job because of the low pricing it is one of the biggest issues for new sellers. For sure you will not keep doing it unless you will find a way to raise the prices up and make a good income out of your effort.

I looked at your Gigs, and I have two tips that might help, besides all the other good tips you got here.

1. Use the packages pricing system in a way that makes people pick the higher price.
    The Basic offer should be very narrow and not including most of the features.
    The Standard and Premium offers can be much higher and include more features.
    Use this pricing system to make a different in the quality, not just a different size of the work (forgive me for my poor English :))
    You can take a quick look at my Gigs – we did much testing on this pricing issue.

2. If you want to make Fiverr Profitable for you, keep thinking all the time how you can Productize your work (make a product out of your service) and sell it repeatedly with small changes to each order.
    It does take a lot of effort in the begging to make the first product, and it has required a different way of thinking, but once you hit the point, you will never be not excited because of a new order.
    Look at TRS best seller’s gigs; you will find many inspiring examples that can help you to create a product instead of selling a service.

Hope it is helpful
Good luck
Hadar

All the advice already given here about building your levels, reviews and customers is sound.

But someone else, @fastcopywriter I think, described it very well in a post recently - Fiverr is Walmart, so you have to charge Walmart prices. If you think you’re more of a Harrods sort of person then you might need to find a different site. I mean that in a nice way. Personally I have a couple of Walmart priced gigs here, and some Harrods priced gigs elsewhere. It’s taken a while but I’ve balanced what the various markets will pay and aligned my offerings accordingly.

Fiverr is Walmart

Nope.

Fiverr is the $Dollar Store😵

Hi Amanda

Welcome to Fiverr 

I think your issue of being not motivated to do a job because of the low pricing it is one of the biggest issues for new sellers. For sure you will not keep doing it unless you will find a way to raise the prices up and make a good income out of your effort.

I looked at your Gigs, and I have two tips that might help, besides all the other good tips you got here.

1. Use the packages pricing system in a way that makes people pick the higher price.

The Basic offer should be very narrow and not including most of the features.

The Standard and Premium offers can be much higher and include more features.

Use this pricing system to make a different in the quality, not just a different size of the work (forgive me for my poor English :))

You can take a quick look at my Gigs – we did much testing on this pricing issue.

2. If you want to make Fiverr Profitable for you, keep thinking all the time how you can Productize your work (make a product out of your service) and sell it repeatedly with small changes to each order.

It does take a lot of effort in the begging to make the first product, and it has required a different way of thinking, but once you hit the point, you will never be not excited because of a new order.

Look at TRS best seller’s gigs; you will find many inspiring examples that can help you to create a product instead of selling a service.

Hope it is helpful

Good luck

Hadar

Thanks Hadar for your ideas, as well as, @misscrystal @capitalquality @lisabaarns @pastordre @eoinfinnegan for your contributions. I’ll think through them all and apply where necessary.

Dear Amanda:

Why? Explain.

Again, wherefore?

Thank you,

Blaise

You know what? Why don’t you make a order first and you’ll see my work first hand 🙂?

Thanks all the same for pointing out those oversights on my profile description. I’ll make edit ASAP.

Dear Amanda:

I wasn’t calling them oversights.

I was asking why you made the choices you did.

I only worked formally as a proofreader in the 1988 - 1989 time frame, so my skills are not nearly what they used to be.

Why, back in my day, we always put two spaces after a period.

Nowadays, you young whippersnappers with your “smartphones” and your “hip-hop” only use one space after a period!

I’m just trying to catch up with all these newfangled rules for grammar and what not.

Please note that I did not assert you were wrong, I asked why you made the choices you did.

Thank you,

Blaise

Dear Amanda:

I only worked formally as a proofreader in the 1988 - 1989 time frame, so my skills are not nearly what they used to be.

Nowadays, you young whippersnappers with your “smartphones” and your “hip-hop” only use one space after a period!

I’m just trying to catch up with all these newfangled rules for grammar and what not.

Please note that I did not assert you were wrong, I asked why you made the choices you did.

Thank you,

Blaise

Oh, I get you now. I guess it was a spur of the moment thing, that is, in regards to the use of ‘&’.

Thinking about it after you mentioned it, I’ll need to change the last statement to its active form because it carries more authority than what it is now.

Oh, I get you now. I guess it was a spur of the moment thing, that is, in regards to the use of ‘&’.

Thinking about it after you mentioned it, I’ll need to change the last statement to its active form because it carries more authority than what it is now.

Also it more correct. Ain’t that right Blaise?

I never do the two spaces after a period thing. I have some vague memory in school (this would be the late 90s) where we attended some IT outsourced college to learn how to type (lol–seems remarkably archaic now). Anyway, as you might imagine, the instructor on this course was a rather elderly secretary who typed like a demon compared to us keyboard peckers, but I seem to remember her saying that single spaces after a period were OK. Don’t quote me on this as this is a really hazy memory (and I wasn’t listening to her boring speech–I was 16! I had better things to do!), but I believe the double spaces were tied into print publishing and with this newfangled information world wide superhighway web net, it was probably OK. I like to imagine she pursed her lips at this horrible transgression as the disinterested class rolled their eyes.

tl;dr-- double periods have joined hyphenated words and the dodo, because of dubious anecdotal reasons.

@amandawallace88 always do CTAs in the active voice, preferably the imperative (“Do xyz”). Tell the suckers what you want them to do, and it’s like having a robot army at your command. In theory, anyway.

I never do the two spaces after a period thing. I have some vague memory in school (this would be the late 90s) where we attended some IT outsourced college to learn how to type (lol–seems remarkably archaic now). Anyway, as you might imagine, the instructor on this course was a rather elderly secretary who typed like a demon compared to us keyboard peckers, but I seem to remember her saying that single spaces after a period were OK. Don’t quote me on this as this is a really hazy memory (and I wasn’t listening to her boring speech–I was 16! I had better things to do!), but I believe the double spaces were tied into print publishing and with this newfangled information world wide superhighway web net, it was probably OK. I like to imagine she pursed her lips at this horrible transgression as the disinterested class rolled their eyes.

tl;dr-- double periods have joined hyphenated words and the dodo, because of dubious anecdotal reasons.

@amandawallace88 always do CTAs in the active voice, preferably the imperative (“Do xyz”). Tell the suckers what you want them to do, and it’s like having a robot army at your command. In theory, anyway.

Dear Emmaki:

There’s actually a Season 1 episode of “Crazy Ex-Girlfriend” in which Rachel Bloom’s character makes a snarky comment about this issue (two spaces after a period).

Thank you,

Blaise

Also it more correct. Ain’t that right Blaise?

Dear Miss Crystal:

Again, it’s a stylistic choice.

Some people prefer the active voice, others prefer the passive voice.

Passive voice can have artistic merit.

And just like the two spaces after a period thing, it could be a trend that’s shifted over time.

Just like I had no idea what “dabbing” was until this week, there’s lots of stuff going on with language that I’m not aware of.

Thank you,

Blaise

@amandawallace88

The lack of motivation can be a sign that you will have, at some point in the future, the feeling that your hard work paid off and that you can reach your goals. That would be nice. But it can also be a warning sign that you will not be able to reach your goals anyway.

That leads me to the question; what are your goals and are these realistic? What do you want to earn and what are top sellers in your field charging for the amount of work you can do in one hour? As @capitalquality pointed out, Fiverr is not the best place to advertise if you compete on quality. So if you need more time for writing, but you do deliver high quality, it might be better to advertise your services elsewhere (or lower your own standards a bit so you can write faster, which I have learned to do over time).

Some users pointed out that there is some lead time before you can charge more, which is definitely true. It is also easier to work with repeat customers, as you know what they expect. So if you feel that your goals are realistic, then give yourself a bit more time. 🙂

Dear Amanda:

Thank you,

Blaise

I was also taught to leave two spaces after a period. I recall writing a document with two other colleagues, where I did this. They already knew that the two space deal was outdated. Well, it was no fun editing my work that was a few pages long. We even did a search to see if there was a code available in Word to eliminate extra spaces.

Live and learn.

Archived