Fiverr Community Forum

'Algorithm' - An observation

The most used and most misunderstood word on this forum.

5 Likes

‘Impressions’ must be a close second.

1 Like

Care to elaborate? :slight_smile: Fiverr is using its own search engine, right? The algorithm must be proprietary.

1 Like

My (not so unpredictable) theory is that there is not a self-feeding “algorithm” that runs more or less unattended somewhere; rather a ton of metrics that are analyzed day by day by a staff that tweaks the Gig rankings according to given targets. Fiverr is too little and too big to rely solely on an algorithm.

3 Likes

I sure hope there is no unattended algorithm running anywhere, or we’re all be replaced with robots soon :smiley:

Yes, @pacquo. And that staff is a nice lady, or a bunch of them, called “computer”. :upside_down_face: :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

That’s just what Fiverr wants you to believe, Maitasun.

The real truth is a group of old ladies sits in an office somewhere deciding who ranks where.

“Mildred, this user has been online for three days. I’m moving him up to the first page.”

What%20exactly%20did%20elliot%20tell%20you%20park%20about%20me%20_6cfa1b6ec608b8f0cbdd04b71e9ae4a8%20(1)

12 Likes

Ah. Finally. The perfect thread to commemorate @eoinfinnegan’s maybe finest masterpiece and forum history (click the link, no fear, you don’t need to read an essay, there’s a comic strip :wink: )

5 Likes

I confess I was thinking to some kind of Milton of “Office Space”, just without the stapler.

Just kidding. No hard feelings guys!

2 Likes

Haha. At least he’d have a ready-made line for people who moan they’re not on page 1.

“The ratio of people to cake is too big.”

1 Like

I’m a voice over - I don’t want to be on the first page for ‘voice over’ - what’s the point?

I don’t think people realise that they’re better off being on the front page for the specific thing they do.

I’m actually a British Female Voice Over - why on earth would I want to be on the front page with Male Voice Overs? Or American Voice Overs? Or American Male Voice Overs?

And that’s what I’m getting at - logo designers who don’t understand that being on the first page for ‘logo design’ isn’t actually useful.

2 Likes

26FADDC400000578-0-image-a-15_1427288349898

This is the truth about the mal-go-rithm. Except imagine 2,000,000 cards and a dealer that keeps taking away and slipping in cards.

1 Like

Algorithm Department

3 Likes

I imagine they have a band called the Fiverr Algorithm and Blues Band.

2 Likes

I think it’s fine, personally!

1 Like

I have no idea if it is or not. As no one knows what motivates it. Just poking fun at it.
I agree with what you said about not caring if you show up in general voice over search through. I specifically target my gigs.

A while ago, I was using TOR to see how my gigs appeared in searches conducted in other countries. What I found (at the time) was that my gigs seemed to appear higher in searches in countries like Malaysia, Indonesia, Kenya, etc, almost like Fiverr was flitering gigs in a way which matched local average/premium market rates with what was offered.

I don’t really care about the search or Fiverr anymore, as I’ve seen to much of a corporate creep since I’ve been here. However, don’t assume that the same gigs you see on the first page are the same gigs other people see. It changes according to price, location, and at least a few other factors.

3 Likes

Exactly. I stopped thinking about where my gigs are shown, and the rank. It’s too much confusion, without any clear conclusions. They move around all the time without apparent reasons.

2 Likes

Machines have no conscience.

GG

2 Likes

Well, we need to give evil a name to fight it. “Algorithm” is a fitting one.

4 Likes