Always ask for audio recordings of odd words or names

I suppose this should be a no brainier, but for some words it isn’t. People say names differently and words especially if you are working with someone from a different country, which was my case. I was asked to record a script like an audio book most of the names were biblical and others fairly easy, but the customer wanted them pronounced differently than I normally would and differently than google translator, which I use if I am unsure of the correct pronunciation of a word. It is very time consuming to now have to go back through and basically re-record the whole script just because of a few minor changes in pronunciation, but you always want to please your customers so the changes must be made. If you are doing any kind of speaking for any of your gigs, make sure you ask for a recording or all words that seem possible to change, especially names and places.

@angelofsin

Hi,

I’m curious why you "basically re-record the whole script just because of a few minor changes in pronunciation,"

Minor changes are called “pick ups” and are a necessary part of voice over work. However, you don’t need to re-record any more than the line(s) that contains the flub, and insert it into the audio file, master it and send it to the client. Some recording software even allows you to “punch in”.

And yes, you are right. All scripts need to be proofed and the client consulted and sign off prior to recording.

Reply to @voiceoverwork: I did do this for some of the sections,but others I had to record the whole section. I just felt the quality would be better if I re-recorded a lot of it, due the amount of words that he wanted pronounced another way, such as several of the main character’s names and the very place that they had been staying. I have done what you are stating with various recordings in the past, but I felt due to the software I use this would be more time consuming, as I don’t have any programs that I can just “punch in” I would have to listen to the long audio, find all the errors from names said various times, record them in the same tone and length to keep the pace, and although they were minor pronunciation errors the names and words wanted changed were used far to much for the “cut, record, and past” method I use.

I see. Understood. If you plan to do more VO, especially long form work, a more roust software will help a lot. Do you have the ability to record in multitrack?

Reply to @voiceoverwork: Yes I record in multiple tracks, I recorded this by scene, so some scenes didn’t need to be redone. I use three different kinds of software depending on what the customer needs, audacity, mixcraft 5 and adobe audition 3.0, all of which allow multiple tracks. I am sure there are more qualified programs for voice acting only, most of these programs are good for mixing songs and or other audio works.

@angelofsin

I know some folks would argue what I’m about to say, but IMO Audition 3 has more than enough horsepower for most any type of voice over. I have Audition on 2 machines and ProTools on a third. For VO Audition is perfect. Provided it’s partnered with a pro level interface, high quality mics and pres. I do most VO work right in the multitrack view. Good luck!