An Indian becomes PM of Ireland?

writer99025

Firstly, we don’t have a PM, we have a Taoiseach which means “Chieftain” or “Leader”.
Secondly, he is not yet Taoiseach but he is expected to be, pending a vote in the Dáil for which he needs the support of independent TDs(MPs).
The person you are referring to is an Irish citizen, born in Dublin to an Indian father and an Irish mother.
I liked his stance when asked about his lineage and sexuality (he will be the first openly gay Taoiseach):
From Wikipedia:

During an interview on RTÉ Radio on 18 January 2015 (his 36th birthday), Varadkar spoke publicly for the first time about being gay: “it’s not something that defines me. I’m not a half-Indian politician, or a doctor politician or a gay politician for that matter. It’s just part of who I am, it doesn’t define me, it is part of my character I suppose”. This made him the first openly gay cabinet member in Ireland. Varadkar was a prominent advocate of the same-sex marriage referendum.

en.wikipedia.org
220px-Tallinn_Digital_Summit._Handshake_Leo_Varadkar_and_J%C3%BCri_Ratas_%2836679163084%29_%28cropped%29.jpg

Leo Varadkar

Leo Eric Varadkar (English pronunciation: /ˈliː.oʊ vəˈrædkər/; born 18 January 1979) is an Irish Fine Gael politician who has served as Taoiseach, Minister for Defence and Leader of Fine Gael since June 2017. He has been a Teachta Dála (TD) since 2007 for the Dublin West constituency. He previously served as Minister for Social Protection from 2016 to 2017, Minister for Health from 2014 to 2016 and Minister for Transport, Tourism and Sport from 2011 to 2014. He was elected as Leader of the Fin Va...

Edit: He will also be the youngest ever Taoiseach at 38 years old, previous record was 45 but it is rare for them to be under 50.

Archived