Hi Everyone. So another person placed a direct order without discussing ($5) and the script was in Uzbek language. Believe me I don’t even know which part of the world speak this language. (and that’s the reason I want a barrier in placing an order)
Okay so moving on, I sent a cancellation request that I cant do it. Not because I don’t understand the language because due to the new update, i was hesitant to cancel the order. I was going to use google translate ( although later he provided the English translation as well) But I do went for cancellation because the software that I use was not supported for Uzbek language. He declined the offer and I sent it again. At the end, the order was mutually cancelled. and Voila, the order completion % is now 94%. This is simply ridiculous. I need this to be changed. Is it our fault that the buyers want something that we don’t offer or the buyer don’t read the description.