Another tip in spotting scam sellers

This tip might be obvious to some, but I thought I would share.

So I was looking for someone to translate my English novel to French, German and Spanish.

I found someone with reasonable prices, however…

If I scroll down to their review section, check out the reviewers profile, I see that they too have the exact same gigs (I will translate english to French, German and Spanish).

Hope that make’s sense. Not to sound unfair to those of us without reviews, but always make sure you check out their reviewers profile.

Very interesting . . . :thinking:

Or they could be used by other Fiverr sellers who outsource their orders - some of the top rated sellers on Fiverr use other sellers to do their gigs and sell on at a profit. :slightly_smiling_face:

Added - I just checked your profile - maybe better remove your website address? Fiverr doesn’t like that.

Good luck! :sunny:

I do this once in a while. But I understand @flavourbooks point. A vast majority of them do that as well. So it’s a good idea to look more deeply before you judge.

I see this all the time and I know it’s not outsourcing, at least in my category which is the one I look at the most.

I wonder what is going on if the same buyer leaves multiple reviews in a row for a seller and I look at their gigs and surprise! they have the exact same gigs… My category does not lend itself to outsourcing.

Yeah, but probably not when their review reads:

“Thank you for your service, you translated my text very well.”

Thanks for the tip, by the way. I removed my website. Not reading the TOS has gotten me in trouble before. I better go read them now. :slight_smile:

That’s exactly what Iwas trying to explain. :slight_smile:

Being a translator myself I’ve mentioned this in other posts before too, but a good way to spot a “possible” scam translator is to check if they have negative reviews saying stuff like "I asked my native friend to check the translation and he/she said it was terrible."
I guess other buyers simply placed orders based on blind faith and then gave the seller a 5 stars not knowing the translation was far from being perfect. The other buyers will see the good ratings and then decide to place orders themselves…but decides to take the extra step of letting someone else check it, and the ugly truth is revealed. Sigh.

People on this forum are so nice, compared to the KDP forum (Kindle Publishing) where everyone tells everyone that they’re horrible writers who won’t sell a darn thing.

:slight_smile:

You see this often with sellers who complain on the forum about not making sales.
Very often they have some reviews from sellers with the exact same gigs. Arbitrage is in this case often not the reason, as they all seem to sell for the same price.
I saw this a lot.
Checking who gave a certain review is always a good idea, whether or not the seller seems phony.

Sometimes the reviews are all the same in some way, like the same person wrote them. I am thinking of a certain new seller in my category. Every one mentions her name a few times, they all have exclamation points at the end, they all say basically

Mary is the most incredible person I ever have known. I’m blessed to have found her. I will never use anyone else again. Mary is the best of the best. She is so amazing, I’m so grateful and overjoyed that I found Mary!!! I love Mary and will be using her forever!!! She is so beautiful inside and out. Mary has my undying gratitude!!! (Mary is a name I made up.)

Oh, we love destroying people’s self-confidence, too. We just pretend to be nice to lure in fresh meat. Mwahaha.

Perhaps they don’t want to say “Thank you for your service, the translation of the text that I have outsourced to you is great”.

Regarding judging whether a reviewer is one of those who outsource, if they have a large number of reviews, or are TRS then it is reasonably safe to assume they are not review swapping with a new seller - no guarantee though.

If you are still looking, I can commend a German and a couple of Spanish translators (all native speakers).
Finding good French translators is really hard - I had one but they have left the site… they were too cheap for the quality they delivered and probably got fed up of not making money.

The often read “right click and google their profile and gig images” is still a good tip to follow, by the way, to avoid the worst or least intelligent (or cunning or however you prefer to call it) of them, but I noticed they have been getting savvier in their ways to “repurpose” other people´s pics taken from the internet.
Could be a ‘market reaction’ due to Fiverr having taken more of a stance against the more blatant cases of stolen profile pics.

just, don’t work with seller
if someone contacted you first thing you need to do is click his profile

As someone who never has needed to hire a translator, it strikes me that you have to really trust your seller. The very fact that you don’t speak the target language inhibits your ability to determine whether they did a proper job or not. Maybe an opening for a gig that for just $5 will review another translators work, or even a recommendation gig, where you point them in the right direction to someone you can vouch for.

I think you’re right there. It just strikes me as odd.

In my day job as a graphic designer i was responsible for having 40 or so health booklets designed and translated into 6 languages.

We got the translating done then had other independent translators to go over the same translations.

As it was health booklets we had to be very careful as mistakes in dosage etc could be a disaster.

Yes there was a lot of mistakes that had to be corrected but also we found that two translators will translate a bit differently so as long as the grammar and meaning was accurate we would let it go.

A nightmare job that i don’t want to do again :joy:

I think that could work for people who do care about the quality of the translations, but they can be few and far between, and they need to have it in their budgets, which is rare. I work as an English and Spanish voiceover guy (and also a translator), and I get substandard translations in both languages pretty regularly.

While I do offer a paid service to correct or re-do their translations altogether, I’d say no more than 60% want to pay to be sure of the quality of the work. Since many clients are video producers, they just say “that’s the script the client gave me. Do it as-is.” When it’s only a few little errors, I can fix it without any fuss, but when it’s a machine translation? :exploding_head: How many Google-translated scripts do I get? More than I’d like. There are definitely buyers who want a quality product and are willing to pay a fair price for it, but then there are buyers who just want to mek sells.

Cheers from Cancun to you all and much success this week to you!