Any Good Book on Parenting

zubairfb

You come from a culture, where usage of a parenting book is non-existent.

You should have enough advice READILY available from your parents/parents-in-laws or your elder uncle/auntie/brother/sister/cousins/2nd-cousins/senior-co-workers etc.

@djgodknows cultures do change with time… I do have my elders advising me about my new born… I just wanted to read 2 - 3 books of different cultures and different thoughts just to know what they are feeding in their kids brains… Of course I will not blindly follow any writer, but it is always good to have knowledge… It is my first baby, just curious…

1. “Keep Calm and Parent On” - by Emma Jenner

2. Spark- The Revoltionary New Science of Exercise and The Brain - by Dr. John Ratey (psychiatrist at Harvard). You can also watch his videos on Youtube.

3.Free-Range Kids, How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children(Without Going Nuts With Worry) - by the World’s Worst Mom, Lenore Skenazy who gained fame and disgrace when she let her 9 year old son ride the NY subway alone!

Enjoy! 😃

I am sure there are plenty of great books on Amazon.

@writer99025 you are right about amazon, I just wanted a feedback from someone who already have read something and that is good, just to filter out some good ones… but I guess most of us here are single… or may be experiencced with no need to read for parenting…Anyways Thank you Sir I will search something at amazon too…

Congrats on the kid!

Since we are on the Fiverr platform, “For just 5$, I will provide parenting advice to you”.

Feed it two times a day,

Keep it away from hazardous things like giant woolly mammoths and saber tooth tigers.

Basically, avoid this,

7dae6907f01144d6d6ba1f45b20bfb79870800ea.jpg

Thank you for your free advice btw Right now my target is to keep my little angel warm… its been freezing cold in Lahore…

2085908561_WhatsAppImage2017-01-01at14_20_24.jpeg.jpg.bef66eadd198f2f7874e6068351661fd.jpg

1. “Keep Calm and Parent On” - by Emma Jenner

2. Spark- The Revoltionary New Science of Exercise and The Brain - by Dr. John Ratey (psychiatrist at Harvard). You can also watch his videos on Youtube.

3.Free-Range Kids, How to Raise Safe, Self-Reliant Children(Without Going Nuts With Worry) - by the World’s Worst Mom, Lenore Skenazy who gained fame and disgrace when she let her 9 year old son ride the NY subway alone!

Enjoy! 😃

@shubh2012 Thank you so much, Have you read one of them?

@djgodknows cultures do change with time… I do have my elders advising me about my new born… I just wanted to read 2 - 3 books of different cultures and different thoughts just to know what they are feeding in their kids brains… Of course I will not blindly follow any writer, but it is always good to have knowledge… It is my first baby, just curious…

It is my first baby, just curious

No I understand, but what I stated was what happens in reality in the South Asian community, as people come from left and right with overwhelming parenting advice.

I find that humoring.

I just became an uncle less than 24 hours ago, and as we were surrounding the newborn in the hospital, everyone had a say in how the baby should be wrapped up to maintain a constant temperature that she had, inside the mother’s womb. 👶

It is my first baby, just curious

No I understand, but what I stated was what happens in reality in the South Asian community, as people come from left and right with overwhelming parenting advice.

I find that humoring.

I just became an uncle less than 24 hours ago, and as we were surrounding the newborn in the hospital, everyone had a say in how the baby should be wrapped up to maintain a constant temperature that she had, inside the mother’s womb. 👶

That kind of advice is always available everywhere, I just wanted to read something related to Psychology of kids, how to raise his BRAIN to be a positive addition to this world… I am not much concerned about his physical growth; how to wrap him/how feed him/how to bath him etc. However, I would love to know to how to devlop and raise his brain, environment, moral values, etc.

Thank you for your free advice btw Right now my target is to keep my little angel warm… its been freezing cold in Lahore…

1eb52d947612c9568edd7f9e0ea993cec46a8170.jpg

I asked my co-workers, someone suggested ‘Mind In The Making’ by Ellen Gallinsky. The one who has read it has found many of the tips useful, or so they claim; Personally, I’d take it with a grain of salt because a parent loving a book and the book having a long term impact on a child are two things. It could be a case of a parent who loves reading psychology books.

Us boys of the desi sub-continent can only tell you things like how to upgrade from Wordpress ver 4.6 to ver 4.7. All my life, I’ve only raised blogs, never raised kids. Fellow forum member @lynnehuysamen actually has some experience in this department. She even has a blog about it. She might be able to provide valuable insight.

I asked my co-workers, someone suggested ‘Mind In The Making’ by Ellen Gallinsky. The one who has read it has found many of the tips useful, or so they claim; Personally, I’d take it with a grain of salt because a parent loving a book and the book having a long term impact on a child are two things. It could be a case of a parent who loves reading psychology books.

Us boys of the desi sub-continent can only tell you things like how to upgrade from Wordpress ver 4.6 to ver 4.7. All my life, I’ve only raised blogs, never raised kids. Fellow forum member @lynnehuysamen actually has some experience in this department. She even has a blog about it. She might be able to provide valuable insight.

Thanks @silkroute and yes while I have a mommy blog @zubairfb I truly believe that we are meant to be parents. We actually have great instincts when it comes to parenting.

If you want to know how to develop your child’s brain and to have your child grow up with good morals and values the best thing you can do is to make yourself a role model for your child.

I believe that as parents we second guess ourselves all the time, we keep on reading up on how to be a good parent. It is much simpler than that, just play with your child, be as present as possible and engage as much as possible.Treat your child with care and respect, honestly you won’t go wrong 🙂

Thanks @silkroute and yes while I have a mommy blog @zubairfb I truly believe that we are meant to be parents. We actually have great instincts when it comes to parenting.

If you want to know how to develop your child’s brain and to have your child grow up with good morals and values the best thing you can do is to make yourself a role model for your child.

I believe that as parents we second guess ourselves all the time, we keep on reading up on how to be a good parent. It is much simpler than that, just play with your child, be as present as possible and engage as much as possible.Treat your child with care and respect, honestly you won’t go wrong 🙂

Also keep your spidey senses intact while nurturing your mommy instincts.

When I was little, my mom used to put sugar in my mouth every time I fell down and scraped a knee and started crying. ‘Surprisingly’, I started falling down a lot often and our household sugar budget went up immediately.

I have actually ghost written an ebook on child development, from 1st month to 24th month, with detailed guidelines for each month…but cannot share that with you for client confidentiality reasons 🙂 But this should be a great time for you.

@writer99025 Perhaps, I could buy that ebook from your client… I hope he’s written it to benefit himself and the world 😃

@silkroute you are always a great help, Thank you so much for tagging Laynnehuysamen, @lynnehuysamen thank you so much for your kind words and this is the best thing I’ve read… I might contact you in future if I may need you… 🙂

I think the most important thing you can do for your son is to spend your time with him. I know it sounds basic and obvious but you would be amazed how many parents don’t do it. As a newborn, this is how he will get to know you, get to trust you and learn to like having you around - that pays off as he gets older.
Having been a youth and children’s worker for years, working with children from all kinds of backgrounds and cultures I can assure you that parental time (from newborn, right up to late teens) is THE most important factor in your child’s development.
I have seen well adjusted, polite, intelligent, successful kids who are brought up by violent criminals.
I have seen angry, depressed kids being brought up by rich and successful millionaires.
I have seen kids from poor backgrounds going both directions.
The common factor with all was how much time did the parents spend with them. The criminals spent time with their kids, the millionaires did not. The kids from poor backgrounds who did well were the ones whose parents spent time with them. All other things relatively equal, the kids from the same poor background who turned to crime etc were those whose parents did not spend time with them.

What is time with them?
As a newborn it can be holding them, talking to them, singing to them etc.
Toddlers can be played with and encouraged to explore the world beside you.
As they get older you can expand what you do but remember that for a kid, even going to work with you is an adventure! If you can, bring them!.
When they get to teen years, it is almost expected that they will not want to spend time with you. There will definitely be some of that. However, if you have consistently spent time with them growing up then they will still enjoy time with you as teens. My nearly 15 yo is still happy to spend time with me!
A tip with teens is to organize unusual things for them + a few friends. Things they couldn’t do on their own. Maybe a trip to a bigger town, a camping trip, going up the mountains, to the sea etc. Things that they could not do, you do it with them. You can even ask what they want to do. Give them space during the time of the activity and then having dropped off the others, take your kid for some food somewhere and talk about the day. A covert operation maybe, but it works EVERY time. Having your teen’s friends think you are cool is also handy - if there is a problem at some point, you will hear about it before other parents.
It is important that the time you spend with them at all ages is “Prime Time”. This means that it is not left to being “whatever time you have left at the end of the day or week”. You should be aiming to spend time with them and fitting other things in around that - not the other way around. I know people who prioritize watching a football match but also say they don’t have time to spend with their kids. Come on!!
It is a matter of choosing your priorities!

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

I offer an ebook selling gig

Your post is considered “Self-Promotion”.

I would strongly recommend you edit or remove it before it gets flagged.

You wish to promote your gig, use the relative forum category, or you can message the person here on the forum.

I offer an ebook selling gig

Your post is considered “Self-Promotion”.

I would strongly recommend you edit or remove it before it gets flagged.

You wish to promote your gig, use the relative forum category, or you can message the person here on the forum.

Thank you.

I have deleted.

Archived