Fiverr Community Forum

Any tips to control anger with frustrating buyers?

Here’s a recent conversation I had with one of my buyers, and this is not the first time this has happened.
SO, they’ve asked for several revisions, all minor things when they could have compiled everything into one and saved us both a lot of time.
Most recently they asked me to add copyright material within their story I delivered.
I sent them a template to make sure I was editing the story with the right thing and asked "is this what you mean?"
Their response? Copyright Material.
…how does this answer the question?
And all of our interactions have basically gone the same way. I haven’t been rude to this buyer, but I’m definitely losing my cool while I’m sitting at my computer.

Anyone know what this feels like? What are your methods of staying calm?

6 Likes

Hey Kirsten, in case you’ve missed my topic on controlling your anger when dealing with buyers:

6 Likes

I feel your pain, I’ve had an interaction tonight that has left my feeling slightly hopeless. Just know that it will pass. I guess my tip is to be as clear as possible. It might feel like you’re being rude, but clarity is everything and will only help in the long run and hopefully diffuse the situation before you get angry.

Even remind them that the order page isn’t a chat or instant messaging, so they need to provide detailed responses so you can complete their work as soon as possible (because you care about their time). Or say that ‘I only include x number of revisions so it is important you let me know exactly what you need the next time you message me, because I don’t want you to have to pay more’. Usually a ‘gentle threat’ of charging more for revisions, gets them saying allllll the things. It should have an underlying tone of, ‘I don’t want you to have to pay more’ (making them feel like you care about them and the value they are getting).

‘The next time you message me, I need from you: xyz
If I don’t have that information, or any of it is incomplete, I won’t be able to work on your order and I’d very much love to get it done for you. Please let me know as soon as possible, thank you!’

It’s all about making the buyer feel important (because they like that), while standing your ground and staying in control the entire time. It’s kind of a fun game, and once you get the hang of it you’ll have less angry time, more eye rolls and chuckles and then-- WHO’S NEXT?! (cause they are usually all the same lol)

:slight_smile:

7 Likes

PS, I totally just favourited your gigs, they are great. Canadian talent yeahhhh. Happy Canada Day too!

5 Likes

I recently got F word from buyer and i kinda laugh at it. You can stay cool and make thing’s funnier if you want to. I got this advice from vegan.

4 Likes

Feel sorry for the experience. :frowning: No matter how hard you try, you can’t avoid this type of people. You have to handle every situation and the best way is:

4 Likes

You should politely tell your buyer that you only make one revision per order, and if he wants additional revisions, he should order again. Maybe you can send him a custom offer for revisions at a discounted rate.

Getting angry with a buyer can get you in trouble, and it’s not worth it.

5 Likes

I second that.

5 Likes

Thanks so much for sharing that!

2 Likes

Thanks for your great tips! Choosing the right words is definitely key. Happy Canada Day to you too! Thanks for supporting me :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the great tips everyone! Makes me feel better knowing I’m not the only one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Sometimes, when I´m really mad or disturbed by some situation; I usually type it down on some text document outside Fiverr. Then I read it to myself just to realize is not worth sharing this thought with the customer, and also to realize what a totally unprofessional bi*** I sound like lol

BUT sometimes I also realize: ok this is gone too far, I need to say this by choosing a more polite and professional way.

Sometimes I can make the anger go by simply talking to someone else BEFORE talking to the client. Or perhaps writing it for yourself.

But, when the situation is really something that needs to be discussed I can either just let it go and focus on finishing the work the best way possible understanding that I have done everything on my side to make it work.

Other times I simply have to suck it up, chill out and think: does my energy deserves to be wasted on this?

It doesn´t matter what the situation is, the customer always has the last word.

I think we just need to be able to see that thin line between someone been unrespectful, a total di** or abusive. And maybe, once we can define what´s going on there; it is easier to move on with our harmed feelings and use our brains to see what could work best.

3 Likes

You’ve brought a lot of great insight! Thank you! I’ve found that ranting on this forum has helped me a bit, but I might try typing out my frustrations in a blank document. That way I can use as much colourful language that my heart desires, and no one gets offended.

2 Likes

I thought I was the only one who was frustrated here. But I guess buyer is the only one who has to loose if he doesn’t control anger. I tend to cancel orders and then avoid them. after working for a year you can usually judge the type of buyer from the start of the conversation so i tend to stay away from them

1 Like

Easy. Don’t get mad and pretend everything is fine.
Fiverr will cut your account off in a heartbeat. They don’t mess around with disrespecting customers.
That one customer could create a 10,000+ view thread about how this and this is bad, etc.
Could ruin Fiverr’s rep.

1 Like

The same buyer contacted me again and I explained to him very calmly that I did my job and I did it well. He’s asking for way too much from me, and I gave him suggestions to go to a marketer or another writer to add more to the book. I was very polite, but I’m afraid they might cancel the order.

2 Likes

You did well! If you did everything you agreed on the first place and now he needs extra work done you have all the right to either offer an extra gig or suggest to find another freelancer to complete that.

1 Like

Thank you! I keep highly implying to him that it would be in his best interest to find another writer to add more to the story. I can’t find a polite way to directly tell him that I don’t want to work with him anymore. I hope the order automatically completes before he asks for another revision.

Uhm, “I’m politely informing you that I cannot provide my services to you any longer” ? :smiley:

2 Likes

That might work! I’ll to try it if he tried to contact me again. Thanks!