Are commercial rights necessary?

balacafa

I am creating a video for my gig and have recently purchased a short voice over gig for $5.

I have just been contacted back by the seller, telling me that commercial rights will be necessary for this order which is an additional $20 (400% greater than the amount I intended to spend - ie. the initial $5).

Are commercial rights really necessary in this instance? Let me know what your thoughts are.

From the info in the ToS, it would seem so, unless anybody knows anything different?

Commercial Use License
By purchasing a “Commercial Use License” with your order, the Seller grants you a perpetual, exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use the purchased delivery for Permitted Commercial Purposes. All intellectual property rights of the purchased delivery are hereby assigned to you. “Permitted Commercial Purposes” means any business related use, such as (by way of example) advertising, promotion, creating web pages, integration into product, software or other business related tools etc., and strictly excludes any illegal, immoral or defamatory purpose. This License is subject to Fiverr’s Terms of Service. There is no warranty, express or implied, with the purchase of this delivery, including with respect to fitness for a particular purpose. Neither the Seller nor Fiverr will be liable for any claims, or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license, the delivery or your use of the delivery.

I am creating a video for my gig and have recently purchased a short voice over gig for $5.

I have just been contacted back by the seller, telling me that commercial rights will be necessary for this order which is an additional $20 (400% greater than the amount I intended to spend - ie. the initial $5).

Are commercial rights really necessary in this instance? Let me know what your thoughts are.

If you are using it commercially, then yes.If you just placed the order then you should have added it. if you got a custom offer and the seller did not suggest or add it, then that is partially on them.

If you are using it commercially, then yes.If you just placed the order then you should have added it. if you got a custom offer and the seller did not suggest or add it, then that is partially on them.

@newsmike Do some buyers claim they are just going to listen to your voice at home, for personal reasons?

@newsmike Do some buyers claim they are just going to listen to your voice at home, for personal reasons?

I have done some very touching eulogies, a few marriage proposal things, and a few student projects, so yes sometimes. Hardest thing I ever had to do was a poem from a family, to a baby that died of SIDS that was played at the funeral. You can tell from the content right away if it needs rights.

I have heard that the whole commercial rights package is a scam because once you’ve received your project, it is legally yours. Apparently the TOS is very vague on these things because once something has been given to you, surely it becomes your property? I’m probably mistaken on this, but it does seem a bit questionable that if I didn’t purchase commercial rights then the voice over still, in essence, belongs to the voice actor - not me.

I have heard that the whole commercial rights package is a scam because once you’ve received your project, it is legally yours. Apparently the TOS is very vague on these things because once something has been given to you, surely it becomes your property? I’m probably mistaken on this, but it does seem a bit questionable that if I didn’t purchase commercial rights then the voice over still, in essence, belongs to the voice actor - not me.

it is legally yours

So if you buy a copy of a movie on Blue Ray, do you have the right to exhibit for $$, or to make copies and sell them?. Please don’t throw around words like scam when you know nothing about this issue because it misinforms other who may read this.

it is legally yours

So if you buy a copy of a movie on Blue Ray, do you have the right to exhibit for $$, or to make copies and sell them?. Please don’t throw around words like scam when you know nothing about this issue because it misinforms other who may read this.

I admitted to begin with that I know nothing about the issue. I’m not trying to deceive anyone or suggest that I know about this issue - that’s why I’m asking you about it.

I very clearly stated that “I’m probably mistaken on this” so I’m sure that people won’t be misinformed by what I’ve said and instead informed by the responses to my original post.

I admitted to begin with that I know nothing about the issue. I’m not trying to deceive anyone or suggest that I know about this issue - that’s why I’m asking you about it.

I very clearly stated that “I’m probably mistaken on this” so I’m sure that people won’t be misinformed by what I’ve said and instead informed by the responses to my original post.

I understand, I guess we are a little sensitive about words like scam when it is such a standard issue. If you got that custom offer, the seller should have told you in advance about the extra charge.

it is legally yours

So if you buy a copy of a movie on Blue Ray, do you have the right to exhibit for $$, or to make copies and sell them?.

But this is our own project, not one we copied. But it’s like if you hire someone to model your clothing line and then pay her to sign an agreement you can use her photo in print ads.

So if you buy a copy of a movie on Blue Ray, do you have the right to exhibit for $$, or to make copies and sell them?.

But this is our own project, not one we copied. But it’s like if you hire someone to model your clothing line and then pay her to sign an agreement you can use her photo in print ads.

then pay her to sign an agreement you can use her photo in print ads.

Exactly, the fact that you took the photos is one part, the other is contractually allowing usages. That is always spelled out in the contract as to what usage is allowed, what’s prohibited and how much the licensing is. Photography is really interesting, once the shutter clicks, the photographer owns the copyright completely. That’s why they can sell one print at a time, and if you want to use the photo in any way, you have to negotiate for each usage.

• 1 year later...

it is legally yours

It is completely different case. How can someone ask these kind of question to.

• 6 months later...

Okay, and can Fiverr help me out here or is that all up to the sellar?

How do you expect fiverr to help you?

I would suggest to start from reading fiverr TOS.

If seller doesn’t offer copyrights then they automatically transferred to you.

If they do offer copyrights in their gig it all depends on the seller and if they feel comfortable adding copyrights in the middle of the order. You just need to chat with your seller.

Okay, and can Fiverr help me out here or is that all up to the sellar?

Your best bet would be to approach the original seller and explain that you plan to use the order commercially and would like to add commercial usage. Some sellers insist that they will only allow commercial usage if it’s purchased at the same time as the order, but your seller may be more flexible. They could send you a custom offer for the commercial usage, and either deliver you a Word Document with the terms copy/pasted from Fiverr’s website, or re-deliver the original file but with the Commercial Usage included on the new order.

It all depends on the seller. Personally, we’d appreciate a buyer being so honest. Good luck.

Your best bet would be to approach the original seller and explain that you plan to use the order commercially and would like to add commercial usage. Some sellers insist that they will only allow commercial usage if it’s purchased at the same time as the order, but your seller may be more flexible. They could send you a custom offer for the commercial usage, and either deliver you a Word Document with the terms copy/pasted from Fiverr’s website, or re-deliver the original file but with the Commercial Usage included on the new order.

It all depends on the seller. Personally, we’d appreciate a buyer being so honest. Good luck.

Okay, thank you for your reply!

• 1 month later...

From the info in the ToS, it would seem so, unless anybody knows anything different?

Commercial Use License

By purchasing a “Commercial Use License” with your order, the Seller grants you a perpetual, exclusive, non-transferable, worldwide license to use the purchased delivery for Permitted Commercial Purposes. All intellectual property rights of the purchased delivery are hereby assigned to you. “Permitted Commercial Purposes” means any business related use, such as (by way of example) advertising, promotion, creating web pages, integration into product, software or other business related tools etc., and strictly excludes any illegal, immoral or defamatory purpose. This License is subject to Fiverr’s Terms of Service. There is no warranty, express or implied, with the purchase of this delivery, including with respect to fitness for a particular purpose. Neither the Seller nor Fiverr will be liable for any claims, or incidental, consequential or other damages arising out of this license, the delivery or your use of the delivery.

As a professional journalist, I think the people who were laid off and are using FIVERR are ABUSING FIVERR and making it an unhappy place! The name is FIVERR! Not THOUSANDS of DOLLARSerrr.

It’s UNACCEPTABLE - to me - to ask for COMMERCIAL RIGHTS. We just paid for the service. If you’re a SELLER and want to charge a lot - FIVERR should charge YOU a fee - a big one.

It’s disgusting what some people charge

As a professional journalist, I think the people who were laid off and are using FIVERR are ABUSING FIVERR and making it an unhappy place! The name is FIVERR! Not THOUSANDS of DOLLARSerrr.

It’s UNACCEPTABLE - to me - to ask for COMMERCIAL RIGHTS. We just paid for the service. If you’re a SELLER and want to charge a lot - FIVERR should charge YOU a fee - a big one.

And it’s disgusting for us that a professional journalist that should stay objective is making such a remarks.

Everybody should be paid fairly no matter what’s the name of the platform. Service is a service everywhere and it the same here and outside of fiverr: people have different fees for the commercial rights and just a service.

Please be careful in how you word your posts to avoid spreading hatred. I wouldn’t want to see professional journalists being so unprofessional that they are advocating for an abuse and low pay for the workforce

• 2 months later...

it is legally yours

This example makes no sense. The reason we as an individual don’t have the right to exhibit a movie for money is because we did not pay for the creation of the movie, so technically it doesn’t belong to us. On other hand for the voice over, we personally pay the voice over artist to create the voice over for us. When its time to use what we paid for we have to pay an arm and a leg just to use it. The only time commercial rights make sense is if you don’t pay for the creation of the product rather pay for acquiring the product. The freelancer should create for free and buyer should only pay for the rights of what the freelancer created. And when I say “pay for the rights of what the freelancer created” I don’t mean paying $25 for commercial rights and $50 for full broadcasting rights. That amount of money for a 60 second voice over, I can just drink tea with honey and lemon and do the voice over myself.

It’s open to each seller to charge as much as they want. No one is forced to hire anyone.

In the beginning all gigs were five dollars but that’s in the past, as things always increase in price over the years. Rents, food prices, it all goes up.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

they probably shouldn’t call this place fiverr then. whether people are being undercharged for their work or not… a place called fiverr should charge five

a place called fiverr should charge five

Aha, and on fece book we should have our faces in the books, in Whats app we can only ask friends what’s up and nothing else because that’s how platform called. And How about You tube? They shouldn’t be a video platform because their name literally saying “You tube” which has nothing to do with videos?

It’s such a ridiculous statement you made

Archived