Are impersonating voices legal?

sammaslammajama

Question

Is it ok to impersonate voices for a gig? for example i would read a script a customer gives me in my impeccable “barney the dinosaur” voice. is it legally allowed for me to do this?

cause i was searching around and found an article that said:
“You cannot use a celebrity’s likeness (in this case a facsimile of their voice) with the intent to deceive the public into thinking the celebrity is providing their likeness for your commercial gain”

But on Fiverr i still see some successful people with gigs such as the morgan freeman impersonations.

help please… ( i would really like to share some of my many different types of impersonations)

10 answers to this question

This question is asking for legal opinions so that’s why I suggested you are better off if you read about this subject by using google.

yea ok, i thought id just ask cuz i see alot of people in firverr doing different character impersonations and wanted to know if its actually okay and legal to do it on fiverr. cause i dont want any trouble or legal lawsuits being held against me in the future. i dont wanna follow people around who are doing wrong.

yea ok, i thought id just ask cuz i see alot of people in firverr doing different character impersonations and wanted to know if its actually okay and legal to do it on fiverr. cause i dont want any trouble or legal lawsuits being held against me in the future. i dont wanna follow people around who are doing wrong.

This isn’t the place to try to find out something this important.

I don’t know the answer to your exact question, but I can tell you why I stay away from it. I feel like it’s the type of gig that could get closed at any second. I don’t want to have any of those issues, so I will stay away from saying I will do a specific voice. Rather, I have a gig titles “I will record character voices… etc”

yea ok, i thought id just ask cuz i see alot of people in firverr doing different character impersonations

I can’t even count how many times I have seen on this forum that a Gig was shutdown, and the seller said, “but I saw other people doing it”. If your gut says no, go with it.

Archived