I’m a blogger too @howtoaddict and I am a buyer and a seller here.
For SEO for your blog here are my suggestions:
- Make sure you have an SEO plugin installed on your website (Yoast SEO or All In One SEO are the best in my opinion, Yoast being way cool for beginners because it has a checklist you can follow)
- Do proper keyword research before you write your posts. Start off targeting keywords that have some traffic but that don’t have too much competition. Make sure any keywords make grammatical sense and are easy to use naturally within your content.
- Try and write long posts (1000 words per post, if you can do 3000 words brilliant).
- Write regularly and consistently. Google not only wants content often, it also wants consistency. So choose your days to publish posts for Eg Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 9am.
- Use your keywords and LSI keywords (low semantic indexing keywords are different variations of your keyword) in prime places (url, meta title, meta description, tags, headings, underline them and bold them, alt tags in images)
- Yes try and place your keywords in these prime places but being natural and engaging is often even more important. Make sure you write for your audience.
- Use internal links - make sure that you link internally as much as possible where relevant.
- Make use of images and include videos.
- Make sure every file is named as your keyword before uploading it. This applies to images, videos or pdf documents, everything. This even applies to ranking Youtube videos for ranking on Google and Youtube search, so just get into the habit of always naming your files a relevant keyword.
So yeah those are the basics for on page SEO that will do like 90% of the job for you.
Then for off page SEO build up your social networks by connecting with and engaging with authority figures in your niche, engage with your followers and share all your new content on your social networks.
I suggest you join Facebook, Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest, Google Plus, Instagram and Youtube as the biggies to get you going.
Then once you have got all that going (yes its quite a bit and there is loads more to it too) then you can start looking at more advanced off page SEO and backlinking strategies.
I hope you have found this helpful Good luck with your blog!