Asked to Record Via Website - Legit?

betzvo

I responded to a Buyer Request to record voice recognition samples. Now I find out that to do so, I need to log in to several links with log-in info provided by the seller and use my phone microphone to record. To start, I also to agree to a legalese Google Participant Release. This is different than my usual creating MP3’s and submitting through Fiverr. Is this legit? Just making sure that it is not a scam to somehow get my personal info from my phone.

I don’t understand why the buyer would add this level of complication? If your gig is described as providing an MP3 there is no reason you would need to do this. Although to keep the buyer happy you could go ahead with it, providing they are happy to accept the drop in quality.

As for the suspiciousness of the whole thing, it does seem rather strange. I would possibly ask why you needed to do it that way? And if you go ahead with it, do it in a virtual machine to isolate yourself and your device from anything.

• 1 month later...

I went online and did some research and some were saying it is indeed a scam! My guess is that they keep you busy doing the lengthy recording while they somehow have a way of collecting personal info from your phone.

Archived