Fiverr Community Forum

Auditions on Fiverr? Promises of Big Budgets

Lately, I have had a few of these requests so I wanted to share my response to the buyers with all of you:

• It’s always a custom order request with the budget at around $500 for a voice over project.

• Here comes the ask, “Can you please send an audition (or sample) of my script so I can show it to my client?”

• The word count for the “sample” script is somewhere around 50-75 words.

• The buyer knows I am looking at the budget and hopes this will get my hopes up for a big pay day.

• The expectation is that I will jump at the chance to send in this audition.

• I gently decline the request to send a custom audition and explain that I changed my policy because I get asked every day to send custom auditions. The exception…maybe… if its a FIVERR Business or Top Buyer and they have lots of reviews…and I have time between my paying buyers. If they are a professional, they will understand.

• I then explain that it’s my policy with most buyers to send a produced sample of their script after they accept an offer or place an order

• As an alternative, I offer to send a recent project with a similar tone. Professional buyers will usually agree to that.

*I end up landing the job that I NEVER auditioned for anyway

• I always end on a positive note and let the buyer know that I am sure they will find just the right seller on Fiverr…I call this the “take away”
4 Likes

Good information that can be applied to many seller’s services.

For @melissaharlowvo Melissa

Are you attending the Seller Plus VID Networking Event tomorrow? I wonder how many VIDs will be there?

1 Like

Buyer requests with a large to huge budget actually seem more shady to me than a seemingly “normal” priced request.

There have been requests with a listed $2000 budget for seemingly straightforward work, but I think the “buyer” never intends to cough up that much dough and only listed such a price to garner greater interest from higher quality sellers.

As for auditions, I’m sure you already know this, but the big name VO pay-to-play websites mostly operate off of auditions to a buyer, and the buyer selects whomever they prefer. Such a system is not supported on Fiverr and would be risky for sellers to do. If I want to perform an audition, I would do it elsewhere. I’m on Fiverr specifically because I don’t have do any additional activity to potentially get orders.

Any request that demands an audition is an automatic “Remove Request” from me.

3 Likes

Yes exactly!!! Why would you do 50 auditions to get a $200 job? It doesn’t make business sense to me. I was asked for an audition and after I declined I was selected for the $400 commercial. Thank you Fiverr.

2 Likes