Automatically Have New Forum Members Read the Guidelines

jpfryar

I recently started using Fiverr’s forum, and was eager to help out new sellers on the website. After posting a lengthy and detailed reply of advice to a user, I signed my name at the bottom, and copied and pasted the post to other new sellers asking for advice. Later, after looking through the badges, I stumbled upon the “Guidelines” of the forum. After reading it, I realized that I had done things that Fiverr suggested not to do.

I think that it would be helpful, for both the new forum member, and for the benefit of the forum, for the guidelines to come up automatically up the first time somebody logs on to the forum. That way, we all know what is expected of the users from the start.

What are your thoughts? 🙂

Dear J.P.:

You do have the option of editing your posts, at least for about a day or so after you post them, so if you want to, you can revise the “things that Fiverr suggested not to do.”

It’s hard to make things compulsory for any number of reasons.

There are many Buyers and Sellers who have bought and sold without ever reading the Terms of Service, when you’re supposed to agree to the Terms of Service as a condition of using the site:

Please read the Terms of Service carefully before you start to use the Site. By using the Site, opening an account or by clicking to accept or agree to the Terms of Service when this option is made available to you, you accept and agree to be bound and abide by these Terms of Service and our Privacy Policy, found here, incorporated herein by reference. If you do not want to agree to these Terms of Service or the Privacy Policy, you must not access or use the Site. For more detailed policies surrounding the activity and usage on the Site, please access the designated articles herein.

Then these people are blindsided when they haven’t thought through some of their actions…

Hopefully, over time people acting in good faith will learn from their mistakes, but people are people, so what can you do?

Good luck,
Blaise

• 2 months later...

Archived