sydneymorgan

poll  

112 members have voted

1. 1. poll

• I donā€™t like this feature.
    • I donā€™t care either way.
    • I love this feature!

Another surprise update with no real purpose :roll_eyes:

2046199035_ScreenShot2017-08-01at10_41_13AM.png.241cb1d09cadd0908e83426fdcbf876f.png

When I view my profile as me, my gigs say ā€œstarting atā€ $26 and $19 although they actually start at $5. When viewing as a buyer, it says ā€œaverage priceā€ instead.

Either way, I donā€™t see how displaying a higher price is going to increase my sales.

• I donā€™t like this feature.
  • I donā€™t care either way.
  • I love this feature!

0voters

MINI RANT
Isnā€™t marketing strategy all about pricing? Do stores advertise their highest price or their lowest price when they want to make sales? Maybe the dev team could instead focus on fixing all the ā€œpage not foundā€ bugs I keep running into (anyone else?).

@sydneymorgan

I have to say that when I see your average price of $141 I am somewhat intrigued.

Itā€™s impressive. Maybe we are all wrong about this. But I think I analyze things and think about them more than the average person who is simply scanning the thumbnails.

Maybe this is not as bad as we all think? It may cause people to look at higher priced gigs out of curiosity.

They are split testing this - showing average prices to some people and starting from prices to others. They are experimenting to see what display results in more sales and revenue for the greatest number of people. Thatā€™s so they can make a data-driven decision.

They are split testing this - showing average prices to some people and starting from prices to others. They are experimenting to see what display results in more sales and revenue for the greatest number of people. Thatā€™s so they can make a data-driven decision.

Thatā€™s an assumption that Iā€™m not willing to make based on what I know of how fiverr has introduced new things in the past. Iā€™m more inclined to think that this is a rollout, or checking to get the coding right.

We have had a massive change called ā€œpackagesā€ without testing.

We have had a disasterous change to the algorithm without testing.

But hopefully you are correct.

Thatā€™s an assumption that Iā€™m not willing to make based on what I know of how fiverr has introduced new things in the past. Iā€™m more inclined to think that this is a rollout, or checking to get the coding right.

We have had a massive change called ā€œpackagesā€ without testing.

We have had a disasterous change to the algorithm without testing.

But hopefully you are correct.

I guess weā€™ll have to wait and see.

ā€¦showing average prices to some people and starting from prices to others

I really hope thatā€™s wrong! My starting price is $5, I donā€™t want Fiverr telling people otherwise.

That would be completely misleading to buyers. Not to mention, I price using word count so every order is different. Some orders might be hundreds of dollars, but many others are just $5. I donā€™t see this going anywhere good.

Showing the ā€œaverage priceā€ somewhere on the gig page (not as the display price) would be fine in my opinion, but using it for search results isnā€™t a good idea to me as a buyer or seller.

I think they are testing it. If they were 100% behind this then it wouldnā€™t take this long to implement it. Itā€™s probably just an idea and they need data to back it up.

Regarding the feature itself, as a buyer I donā€™t like it. As Sydney said it, itā€™s misleading. I click on the gig thinking itā€™s $30 and when I open it up I see that itā€™s actually $50. I would probably hit the back button.

Come to think of it, I donā€™t like it as a seller either šŸ™‚

• I want to decide what my service costs today not what it was few weeks, months or a year ago.
  • Quite often I give discounts to my returning customers so I donā€™t want show to others how much is the average price. If a buyer sees that the average is $350 instead of $400 then a buyer wouldnā€™t really see it as a discount. Instead they might think that $350 is my regular price. It would be even worse if I offer a discounted price and the average is below that.
  • Plus, more buyers will start negotiating with you because they see that there is some wiggle room. Iā€™m not 100% against it, but I donā€™t want to start with that.

Besides, there are plenty of sellers who will take advantage of this. When youā€™re making a custom offer then you can assign it to any gig you have.

Basically you can assign cheap custom offers to one gig and expensive offers to another gig. That way you can keep your average as low as possible for some gigs and very high for other gigs.

@sydneymorgan

I have to say that when I see your average price of $141 I am somewhat intrigued.

Itā€™s impressive. Maybe we are all wrong about this. But I think I analyze things and think about them more than the average person who is simply scanning the thumbnails.

Maybe this is not as bad as we all think? It may cause people to look at higher priced gigs out of curiosity.

I could see it going both ways for sure. If a gigā€™s average price is really expensive, Iā€™d totally click on it to see what they offer out of curiosity (but probably not with real buying interest).

I just canā€™t understand why they want gigs to look more expensive. What kind of selling strategy is that? Stores advertise their lowest prices, not their highest pricesā€“thatā€™s a tried and tested technique. People come in the door because they think they can get something for $5, $10, or $15, not because ā€œmost people spent $$$ā€ šŸ’° ā€¦

Weā€™ll see what happens. After all, Iā€™ve gotten a few extra orders today so maybe Iā€™ve spoken too soon šŸ˜œ

I could see it going both ways for sure. If a gigā€™s average price is really expensive, Iā€™d totally click on it to see what they offer out of curiosity (but probably not with real buying interest).

I just canā€™t understand why they want gigs to look more expensive. What kind of selling strategy is that? Stores advertise their lowest prices, not their highest pricesā€“thatā€™s a tried and tested technique. People come in the door because they think they can get something for $5, $10, or $15, not because ā€œmost people spent $$$ā€ šŸ’° ā€¦

Weā€™ll see what happens. After all, Iā€™ve gotten a few extra orders today so maybe Iā€™ve spoken too soon šŸ˜œ

I just canā€™t understand why they want gigs to look more expensive. What kind of selling strategy is that?

Next they will rename the site hundrederr expecting that to make people want to buy.

We have a few expensive gigs in my category that sit and sit and never get sales.

They look like a joke.

That is NOT to say that people donā€™t spend a lot on my gigs, they do.

But itā€™s on gigs that start at $5.

Itā€™s the extras that they spend on.

And buyers only decide to spend more after they first come to look at the $5 gig.

I just canā€™t understand why they want gigs to look more expensive. What kind of selling strategy is that?

Next they will rename the site hundrederr expecting that to make people want to buy.

We have a few expensive gigs in my category that sit and sit and never get sales.

They look like a joke.

That is NOT to say that people donā€™t spend a lot on my gigs, they do.

But itā€™s on gigs that start at $5.

Itā€™s the extras that they spend on.

And buyers only decide to spend more after they first come to look at the $5 gig.

If fiverr wants to increase the average price of gigs they need to give way more room and

attention to extras on gigs.

Now we donā€™t even show the description of extras! There is a question mark and a meaningless title on them and they have to hover over the question mark to see a one line description of the extra.

That cut down my income when that change was made.

I would like some space to have a proper, full length description of each extra,

like we used to have, so they would see that the extras are worth adding on to

the order!

There can be a number of reasons behind this.

• Some sellers are selling their service too cheap. If sellers donā€™t raise their prices then Fiverr will do it for them without actually forcing it. They will raise buyersā€™ expectations and if it brings in more money then you as a seller will increase your prices. šŸ™‚
  • It could also be related to the new image. Fiverr wants to show that itā€™s not the $5 platform anymore. We have external talent and people are actually making more than $5 here.
  • It might even give better odds for newbies with very low average or completely screw them over šŸ˜ƒ If your starting price is $5 and you make 1 bulk sale for $100 then your average is $100 yet you have 1 review. Try to explain that to your customer.

However, what they donā€™t understand is that you canā€™t force it. For most gigs price is the #1 deciding factor, so increasing it will instantly turn customers away. It will probably hurt more experienced sellers who are able to sell above their starting price.

This is exactly why they are testing it, because they want to see the actual impact of the change on revenue. Fiverr arenā€™t going to deliberately do something to reduce their (and by extension our) revenue. Remember, they are trying to grow revenue for the site as a whole. Will that mean a different pricing strategy for some sellers? Of course. Will it mean more revenue for those that adapt? You bet.

Of course, thatā€™s all assuming this goes into effect, which is not currently certain.

This is exactly why they are testing it, because they want to see the actual impact of the change on revenue. Fiverr arenā€™t going to deliberately do something to reduce their (and by extension our) revenue. Remember, they are trying to grow revenue for the site as a whole. Will that mean a different pricing strategy for some sellers? Of course. Will it mean more revenue for those that adapt? You bet.

Of course, thatā€™s all assuming this goes into effect, which is not currently certain.

Fiverr arenā€™t going to deliberately do something to reduce their (and by extension our) revenue

Why keep making these assumptions? I know they sound logical, but they are not really based on anything.

In the past two months they have done something that cut my revenue down by less than half what it has been, and many other sellers too. Without any testing.

Fiverr arenā€™t going to deliberately do something to reduce their (and by extension our) revenue

Why keep making these assumptions? I know they sound logical, but they are not really based on anything.

In the past two months they have done something that cut my revenue down by less than half what it has been, and many other sellers too. Without any testing.

Why keep making these assumptions?

Because Fiverr isnā€™t run at random by neā€™er do wells who want to shoot their own business in the foot. You assume the worst of them, I choose not to. Weā€™ve had this conversation several times before, and it went nowhere - letā€™s agree to differ.

Why keep making these assumptions?

Because Fiverr isnā€™t run at random by neā€™er do wells who want to shoot their own business in the foot. You assume the worst of them, I choose not to. Weā€™ve had this conversation several times before, and it went nowhere - letā€™s agree to differ.

I didnā€™t say it was run by nā€™er do wells. I said you are making a lot of baseless assumptions.

You have no idea what fiverr is doing and neither do I.

I know they sound logical, but they are not really based on anything.

I actually donĀ“t mind the fact that they are trying new things. BUT, what worries me or bothers meā€¦is that they are not making any official response about it. I think the easiest way to avoid all the paranoia is first launching the idea. Ie: next month weĀ“ll be blah blah. Like they did with Fiverr pro, for example.

So far we are all part of the experiment (which I think is fine) but not cool not Ā“Ā“knowing itĀ“Ā“ with previous advice.

I know they sound logical, but they are not really based on anything.

I actually donĀ“t mind the fact that they are trying new things. BUT, what worries me or bothers meā€¦is that they are not making any official response about it. I think the easiest way to avoid all the paranoia is first launching the idea. Ie: next month weĀ“ll be blah blah. Like they did with Fiverr pro, for example.

So far we are all part of the experiment (which I think is fine) but not cool not Ā“Ā“knowing itĀ“Ā“ with previous advice.

We share the same goal - make more money šŸ™‚

However, if they mess up itā€™s a temporary setback for Fiverr, but it might be a final stop for some sellers who canā€™t pay their bills because Fiverr did a test šŸ™‚

This change wonā€™t affect me much, but I do understand why some are upset.

they are not making any official response about it.

Completely agree with this. I donā€™t expect them to ask our permission, but a heads up would be nice so that we donā€™t need to guess why our views or clicks are going haywire every few months.

Although we would still complain about it šŸ˜ƒ

I didnā€™t say it was run by nā€™er do wells. I said you are making a lot of baseless assumptions.

Well, weā€™re all entitled to our opinions - mine is based on assuming Fiverr is run in an efficient way to maximize revenue for themselves and sellers. Thatā€™s the whole purpose of doing business so itā€™s not baseless. Iā€™ve spent 15 years writing about, consulting on, and looking at how businesses are run. Your opinion differs for reasons you clearly have reason to believe. Since neither of our opinions is likely to change, letā€™s agree to differ.

We share the same goal - make more money šŸ™‚

However, if they mess up itā€™s a temporary setback for Fiverr, but it might be a final stop for some sellers who canā€™t pay their bills because Fiverr did a test šŸ™‚

This change wonā€™t affect me much, but I do understand why some are upset.

they are not making any official response about it.

Completely agree with this. I donā€™t expect them to ask our permission, but a heads up would be nice so that we donā€™t need to guess why our views or clicks are going haywire every few months.

Although we would still complain about it šŸ˜ƒ

we donā€™t need to guess why our views or clicks are going haywire every few months.

Exactly! It doesnĀ“t have to be a long detailed post, but a few lines with the basic or main idea will be just fine! Just know whatĀ“s going on.

For example, if a buyer comes telling me they saw the Average sale was X - I couldnā€™t know what they are talking about. Now that IĀ“ve read about it on the forum, I have an idea. But still, havenĀ“t seen it for me.

we donā€™t need to guess why our views or clicks are going haywire every few months.

Exactly! It doesnĀ“t have to be a long detailed post, but a few lines with the basic or main idea will be just fine! Just know whatĀ“s going on.

For example, if a buyer comes telling me they saw the Average sale was X - I couldnā€™t know what they are talking about. Now that IĀ“ve read about it on the forum, I have an idea. But still, havenĀ“t seen it for me.

A range of prices shown on each gig would make a lot more sense:

Price range: $5 to $150. Now that would be a great idea.

Archived