Best equipment option for voice over

susanibraheem

If you want to sound fairly professional for a cheap price get yourself any lower cost high-quality condenser microphone (I use a rode NT1A), an interface (like Scarlet 2i2 Focusrite), microphone stand and a pop filter. Then you’ll need software to edit and record your audio files in, a good one for what you need is Audacity - I believe it’s cheap or free (I use FL Studio).

If getting a microphone and interface are too much still, you can get a USB microphone that will plug directly into computer. However, from my understanding the quality does diminish.

Then further down the road when you’re ready, you can even get software/plugins that help edit out noise, and compress the audio to sound even more professional. 🙂

Hi susanibraheem!

It sounds like you are starting out - welcome to voice over! The reason I said that is because you are asking about “a good affordable easy to use equipment for voiceover.”

My reco is to spend your budget on the best mic you can buy. There are many USB mics that plug right into your laptop, and you can get bundles with a pop filter for under $200 on Amazon. Also, get a nice set of headphones. I just did a quick search and found a Blue Yeti package here https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Microphone-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00TREF98S/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1496212185&sr=1-4&keywords=blue+yeti

As far as software, Audacity is free! It’s terrific to start out on. There are countless YouTube videos to learn how to take advantage of all the program has to offer. You will learn how to master noise reduction and repair those pesky electric zaps.

I hope that is helpful. Cheers to your new chapter!

~Lisa

Hi, thanks very much for both the replies. I was thinking of Blue yettie as it seems less complicated to use, have anyone here used or is using it?

The Blue Yeti is a great plug and play. Pattern and gain are on one side and the mute and volume are on the other. I think it’s a good value for the money. Best, ~Lisa

Ok, thanks a lot for your help, I’m not living in USA so I don’t want to get somethhing and then hav to get the other, so I’m still hesitant, USB seems a better option for both money cost and ease of use but still many ppl say USB miks are not good enough. I wonder if most ppl use something like rode NT1A and I should just loook fr a used one.

Ok, thanks a lot for your help, I’m not living in USA so I don’t want to get somethhing and then hav to get the other, so I’m still hesitant, USB seems a better option for both money cost and ease of use but still many ppl say USB miks are not good enough. I wonder if most ppl use something like rode NT1A and I should just loook fr a used one.

The only mic I will suggest is Rode NT1-A to sound professional.

If you want to sound fairly professional for a cheap price get yourself any lower cost high-quality condenser microphone (I use a rode NT1A), an interface (like Scarlet 2i2 Focusrite), microphone stand and a pop filter. Then you’ll need software to edit and record your audio files in, a good one for what you need is Audacity - I believe it’s cheap or free (I use FL Studio).

If getting a microphone and interface are too much still, you can get a USB microphone that will plug directly into computer. However, from my understanding the quality does diminish.

Then further down the road when you’re ready, you can even get software/plugins that help edit out noise, and compress the audio to sound even more professional. 🙂

Hi susanibraheem!

It sounds like you are starting out - welcome to voice over! The reason I said that is because you are asking about “a good affordable easy to use equipment for voiceover.”

My reco is to spend your budget on the best mic you can buy. There are many USB mics that plug right into your laptop, and you can get bundles with a pop filter for under $200 on Amazon. Also, get a nice set of headphones. I just did a quick search and found a Blue Yeti package here https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Microphone-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00TREF98S/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1496212185&sr=1-4&keywords=blue+yeti

As far as software, Audacity is free! It’s terrific to start out on. There are countless YouTube videos to learn how to take advantage of all the program has to offer. You will learn how to master noise reduction and repair those pesky electric zaps.

I hope that is helpful. Cheers to your new chapter!

~Lisa

There are many USB mics that plug right into your laptop, and you can get bundles with a pop filter for under $200 on Amazon. Also, get a nice set of headphones. I just did a quick search and found a Blue Yeti package

I recommend the Blue Yeti microphone. It is top-quality, and works well with almost any computer set-up. I’m an actor myself, and I use it to record my character work in a popular online audio series. I agree… your most important piece of voice-over equipment is your microphone. Obtain the best one that you can find. You’ll thank yourself later. 😉

Hi, I was wondering if someone with experrience can recommend a good affordable easy to use equipment for voiceover.

Hi, I was wondering if someone with experrience can recommend a good affordable easy to use equipment for voiceover.

Hi Susan: Welcome to the VO world. You’ll find lots of advice, some seasoned, some based on personal experience.

Your recording space quality is far more important than your mic choice starting out.

Be sure you take some time to learn about the room and sound treatment. You can start with a closet (leave the clothes in there) AND put blankets/quilts/pillows on the walls/ceiling. If the space is weak, no mic will save you.

Get on Facebook (FB) and join the groups related to voice over.

If it’s me, I’d start with a good entry level interface and XLR mic. Something like the PreSonus Audiobox 96 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB96) Plus you get a free copy of Studio One Artist, which allows you to do Punch and Roll, making recording far easier AND higher quality than something like Audacity.

I’d then go to Monoprice and get their entry level mic. Gets killer reviews in the audiophile publications, and around $70. An excellent way to get started.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=600800

You can upgrade your mic later if you wish, as you have a decent interface and can roll into something higher end if needed.

Again, your recording space will be the major factor related to your sound quality starting out. A better mic is a win in a great space.

(BTW - My husband has decades of recording experience… He’s forgotten more than I’ve ever known about this stuff. He runs a couple large FB groups on VO and audio processing…)

Hi,

I am going to paste from a response I gave not long ago in a similar thread. There is terrible misinformation about microphones going around.

Realize that you have opened the Pandora’s box of asking for an equipment recommendation. When it comes to audio/video equipment (just as in photography discussions) people fall prejudice to what they think they know, and what they are already loyal to. Some of the top manufacturers of microphones are Sennheiser, Neumann, Shure and Electrovoice just to look at the tip of the iceberg. Here’s a great article on the Shure blog that kills the top 8 myths about microphones. Including the USB/XLR one in all but the most demanding situations. I prefer the RE20 from Electrovoice, and the Shure SM7B, but if you are starting out and cannot afford the $400 plus price tag, by all means get started with whatever you can. As Shure points out, many USB microphones have the exact same capsule (guts) as the XLR version. You have to shop around and I suggest renting a mic or two before you spring for a higher end one.

But don’t get hung up on the mic, (just like the “My Nikon can kick your Canon’s ass” argument that ruins so many photography discussions when the participants should be discussing composition, exposure and the like. There are tons of people out there who either use a thousand dollar Neumann mic thinking that it will make them sound like Don LaFontaine

but have absolutely no mic technique. and the truth is that when you run that mic through a $200 interface, it becomes a USB mic anyway. Only difference is that the USB interface is in a separate box not built into the mic body. Yes a $3,000 Neumann plugged into a USB interface becomes a Blue Yeti or Spark. That’s not bad, I just wish that the folks who plug an XLR into a $200 interface would realize that they have just dropped the quality of that mic to the specs of the USB interface. The final result will only be as good as the WEAKEST piece of equipment in the chain, and that is the USB interface, whether external or built in to the mic.

Experiment and see what sounds the best. But make sure you start with the best you can afford, work on mic technique and keep an open mind. I’d trust Shure on this one. Here’s the link:

Cheers, and good luck.

http://blog.shure.com/wp-content/themes/shure_blog_2014/favicon.icoShure Blog – 8 Jul 14

http://blog.shure.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/MicMyths-Featured1.jpg

Top 8 Microphone Myths Exposed | Shure Blog

There are microphone myths just like there are urban myths. We’re setting the record straight on 8 myths that we keep hearing.

There are microphone myths just like there are urban myths. We’re setting the record straight on 8 myths that we keep hearing.

Hi Susan: Welcome to the VO world. You’ll find lots of advice, some seasoned, some based on personal experience.

Your recording space quality is far more important than your mic choice starting out.

Be sure you take some time to learn about the room and sound treatment. You can start with a closet (leave the clothes in there) AND put blankets/quilts/pillows on the walls/ceiling. If the space is weak, no mic will save you.

Get on Facebook (FB) and join the groups related to voice over.

If it’s me, I’d start with a good entry level interface and XLR mic. Something like the PreSonus Audiobox 96 (https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AudioBoxUSB96) Plus you get a free copy of Studio One Artist, which allows you to do Punch and Roll, making recording far easier AND higher quality than something like Audacity.

I’d then go to Monoprice and get their entry level mic. Gets killer reviews in the audiophile publications, and around $70. An excellent way to get started.

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=600800

You can upgrade your mic later if you wish, as you have a decent interface and can roll into something higher end if needed.

Again, your recording space will be the major factor related to your sound quality starting out. A better mic is a win in a great space.

(BTW - My husband has decades of recording experience… He’s forgotten more than I’ve ever known about this stuff. He runs a couple large FB groups on VO and audio processing…)

Great point about acoustics in the recording space. Often overlooked!

Hi,

I am going to paste from a response I gave not long ago in a similar thread. There is terrible misinformation about microphones going around.

Realize that you have opened the Pandora’s box of asking for an equipment recommendation. When it comes to audio/video equipment (just as in photography discussions) people fall prejudice to what they think they know, and what they are already loyal to. Some of the top manufacturers of microphones are Sennheiser, Neumann, Shure and Electrovoice just to look at the tip of the iceberg. Here’s a great article on the Shure blog that kills the top 8 myths about microphones. Including the USB/XLR one in all but the most demanding situations. I prefer the RE20 from Electrovoice, and the Shure SM7B, but if you are starting out and cannot afford the $400 plus price tag, by all means get started with whatever you can. As Shure points out, many USB microphones have the exact same capsule (guts) as the XLR version. You have to shop around and I suggest renting a mic or two before you spring for a higher end one.

But don’t get hung up on the mic, (just like the “My Nikon can kick your Canon’s ass” argument that ruins so many photography discussions when the participants should be discussing composition, exposure and the like. There are tons of people out there who either use a thousand dollar Neumann mic thinking that it will make them sound like Don LaFontaine

but have absolutely no mic technique. and the truth is that when you run that mic through a $200 interface, it becomes a USB mic anyway. Only difference is that the USB interface is in a separate box not built into the mic body. Yes a $3,000 Neumann plugged into a USB interface becomes a Blue Yeti or Spark. That’s not bad, I just wish that the folks who plug an XLR into a $200 interface would realize that they have just dropped the quality of that mic to the specs of the USB interface. The final result will only be as good as the WEAKEST piece of equipment in the chain, and that is the USB interface, whether external or built in to the mic.

Experiment and see what sounds the best. But make sure you start with the best you can afford, work on mic technique and keep an open mind. I’d trust Shure on this one. Here’s the link:

Cheers, and good luck.

http://blog.shure.com/wp-content/themes/shure_blog_2014/favicon.icoShure Blog – 8 Jul 14

http://blog.shure.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/MicMyths-Featured1.jpg

I just wish that the folks who plug an XLR into a $200 interface would realize that they have just dropped the quality of that mic to the specs of the USB interface.

I agree if you pair the cheapest interfaces with the higher end mics. The article says “May be true” and that applies if you use the older, cheapest interfaces, vs the USB version.

(The latest $200 interfaces have some very strong tech these days.)

The AC/DC converters in the $200 interfaces are far superior to the ones in the USB interfaces. The interfaces also tend to have better headphone amps for direct monitoring. (That said, the USB mics continue to improve, but the interface tech/pre-amps are also getting better every generation too.)

A $3000 Neumann plugged into a USB interface is NOT the same as a USB mic, assuming a decent interface. Certainly on a mic like that, you would pair it with a far higher quality interface (Guessing $400 and up… although I’m impressed with what is available these days for $200 or so…)

I agree there’s tons of bad info out there. (FWIW, Neumann has been a division of Sennheiser over 15 years now…)

I’d still take a well treated room and a lower end mic to a hi-end mic paired with a poorly treated room any day.

Although in an ideal world we have a great room with a quality mic/interface, and the skills/experience to get the most out of them.

@susanibraheem: Once you’re making some money, reinvest in additional gear. You’ll have some experience.

Note that VO is a highly competitive area these days (just look how many VO artists on Fiverr). The cost of getting started is relatively low, so lots of people try it for a time.

If you want to earn decent money, you also benefit from strong production skills. Voicing/recording is step one, then you have to produce the spot.

Meaning you know your recording/editing software well, you have a strong collection of royalty free music, you can edit/produce quickly, and have a good ear for audio balance.

You can learn all that, but expect to do some homework.

At Fiverr rates, if you take too long to produce a spot, it’s difficult to make money, compared to other options in life.

Go for it: Just start learning/practicing, and don’t stop.

Ok, thanks Lisa, seems like voiceover is harder than I thought. I was thinking of learning animation videos but then iit seems everything has to do with voice over.

I was thinking of learning animation videos but then iit seems everything has to do with voice over.

VO is harder than most think IF you want to do it well. I would guess 30-50% of my daily sales come from people who do animation and they need someone to do the voice over.

I don’t do animations, and while some of them will do their own VO, most outsource to a set of voices.

That way they have the right voice for each animation. I may be perfect for some animations, and a weak fit for others.

In other words, you can do animations if you wish, and outsource the VO. Or you can do VO and be the one a group of animators use. Your choice.

In both cases there is plenty of competition, but you can do either well if you are willing to learn, practice and continue getting better.

It’s rare someone jumps into either category and gets successful quickly UNLESS they have some decent prior experience and/or a related skill.

None of the equipment matters, nor the software, nor your sound environment, if you do not have the voice for it.

You can have a Grammy winning studio at home, but would not matter if you have a :robot: ROBOVOICE.

I have sampled many a voices on fiverr’s VO artists, and most turn out sounding like a :robot:.

Take it from a DJ who’s been listening to audio profiles of all kinds for over 15 years.

###Voice is key, accentuation knowledge is King. (In Voice Overs) 🙂

Ok, thanks Lisa, seems like voiceover is harder than I thought. I was thinking of learning animation videos but then iit seems everything has to do with voice over.

well if you are learning how to animate, you could use someone else to do the voice overs for you.

Hi, thanks dj, in fact a’m not even a native English speaker, my mother lang is Arabic but I can see Fiverr market has aplace for ppl of every level. I don’t have to be a star to do something but outsourcing Vo for animation could be a good option as well.

I just wish that the folks who plug an XLR into a $200 interface would realize that they have just dropped the quality of that mic to the specs of the USB interface.

I agree if you pair the cheapest interfaces with the higher end mics. The article says “May be true” and that applies if you use the older, cheapest interfaces, vs the USB version.

(The latest $200 interfaces have some very strong tech these days.)

The AC/DC converters in the $200 interfaces are far superior to the ones in the USB interfaces. The interfaces also tend to have better headphone amps for direct monitoring. (That said, the USB mics continue to improve, but the interface tech/pre-amps are also getting better every generation too.)

A $3000 Neumann plugged into a USB interface is NOT the same as a USB mic, assuming a decent interface. Certainly on a mic like that, you would pair it with a far higher quality interface (Guessing $400 and up… although I’m impressed with what is available these days for $200 or so…)

I agree there’s tons of bad info out there. (FWIW, Neumann has been a division of Sennheiser over 15 years now…)

I’d still take a well treated room and a lower end mic to a hi-end mic paired with a poorly treated room any day.

Although in an ideal world we have a great room with a quality mic/interface, and the skills/experience to get the most out of them.

@susanibraheem: Once you’re making some money, reinvest in additional gear. You’ll have some experience.

Note that VO is a highly competitive area these days (just look how many VO artists on Fiverr). The cost of getting started is relatively low, so lots of people try it for a time.

If you want to earn decent money, you also benefit from strong production skills. Voicing/recording is step one, then you have to produce the spot.

Meaning you know your recording/editing software well, you have a strong collection of royalty free music, you can edit/produce quickly, and have a good ear for audio balance.

You can learn all that, but expect to do some homework.

At Fiverr rates, if you take too long to produce a spot, it’s difficult to make money, compared to other options in life.

Go for it: Just start learning/practicing, and don’t stop.

A $3000 Neumann plugged into a USB interface is NOT the same as a USB mic

It actually is. An interface in the price range you are describing is not sufficient to drive a really high end microphone. The main problems occur in that they are noisy. They are great for church services and such, but you are just not going to get the same technical specs from a $200 interface as you do from boxes that cost 10 times that. So it seems strange to argue that plugging a U87 into a $200 interface will yield the same quality as a pro interface. You are still in Blue Yeti territory at that point.

BTW, Sennheiser and Neumann are separate product lines that are still readily available.

This thread is very useful. Thanks guys. I bought a microphone from a shop near my house yesterday, just a cheap one. I´m not a voice over person. I bought the microphone for other stuff. They didn´t have it in the shop but they will text me when they have the microphone in their shop and I should pick it up. They told me it will be there in two days since yesterday. 🙂

A $3000 Neumann plugged into a USB interface is NOT the same as a USB mic

It actually is. An interface in the price range you are describing is not sufficient to drive a really high end microphone. The main problems occur in that they are noisy. They are great for church services and such, but you are just not going to get the same technical specs from a $200 interface as you do from boxes that cost 10 times that. So it seems strange to argue that plugging a U87 into a $200 interface will yield the same quality as a pro interface. You are still in Blue Yeti territory at that point.

BTW, Sennheiser and Neumann are separate product lines that are still readily available.

They are great for church services and such, but you are just not going to get the same technical specs from a $200 interface as you do from boxes that cost 10 times that. So it seems strange to argue that plugging a U87 into a $200 interfac

Actually still a false argument, and an irrelevant discussion anyway.

I’d never plug a U87 or something similar into a $200 interface. But the latest generation of interfaces that retail for a couple hundred are pretty amazing, and NOT in the Blue Yeti USB zone. The electronics in the sub $1000 range are also hard to imagine just a few years ago too.

A U87 plugged into a $200 interface is still going to be a far better than a $200 USB mic. The latest gen of $200 interfaces is better than I ever expected them to be…

I’m not an expert, but my husband started recording in the late 70’s, has worked with U87s and a bunch of other Neumann mics that I don’t know the numbers…

I currently record on a 35 year old Sennhieser mic that he got when he was about 19. He’s also swapped it out with the $70 Monoprice mic as a test, and was pretty amazed when he blind tested it on some of his engineer friends. They were amazed it was a $70 mic.

He learned to cut master records on a Neumann lathe from a mastering engineer after Motown left Detroit. (We were dating at the time…)

You are right, Sennheiser is the parent company of Neumann. They have separate product lines, but they still have the ability to share any resources between them as they are are part of the same company.

We also agree, it’s not realistic to plug a U87 into a $200 interface. That still won’t dumb it down to the same point as a Blue Yetti or equivalent USB mic.

The A/D converters are not even close in terms of quality. Of course, 90% of the people won’t hear the difference.

All that said, it’s a side discussion. You might consider joining his FB group dedicated to enhancing VO, spoken word and dialog, primarily using iZotope tools. (I think it’s called “Audio Rescue RX”)

He’s an expert in sound quality, I’m a trained singer/musician and VO artist.

For the people here looking to get into VO, get your room in shape, get a decent XLR mic and a mid range interface and you’ll do great. If you have to bootstrap and go cheap, there are plenty of alternatives, some better than others.

I’ve seen people succeed with less, and after you have your room in shape, then look at upgrading your equipment.

The rest of the discussions are mostly for entertainment purposes.

Few succeed because they have the best mics/interfaces, those can simply enhance or hinder what else you bring to the table. When you’re a seasoned pro like @newsmike, then you can get the high end mics/interfaces.

Great tech rarely gets you jobs, but weak tech can cost you plenty of them…

They are great for church services and such, but you are just not going to get the same technical specs from a $200 interface as you do from boxes that cost 10 times that. So it seems strange to argue that plugging a U87 into a $200 interfac

Actually still a false argument, and an irrelevant discussion anyway.

I’d never plug a U87 or something similar into a $200 interface. But the latest generation of interfaces that retail for a couple hundred are pretty amazing, and NOT in the Blue Yeti USB zone. The electronics in the sub $1000 range are also hard to imagine just a few years ago too.

A U87 plugged into a $200 interface is still going to be a far better than a $200 USB mic. The latest gen of $200 interfaces is better than I ever expected them to be…

I’m not an expert, but my husband started recording in the late 70’s, has worked with U87s and a bunch of other Neumann mics that I don’t know the numbers…

I currently record on a 35 year old Sennhieser mic that he got when he was about 19. He’s also swapped it out with the $70 Monoprice mic as a test, and was pretty amazed when he blind tested it on some of his engineer friends. They were amazed it was a $70 mic.

He learned to cut master records on a Neumann lathe from a mastering engineer after Motown left Detroit. (We were dating at the time…)

You are right, Sennheiser is the parent company of Neumann. They have separate product lines, but they still have the ability to share any resources between them as they are are part of the same company.

We also agree, it’s not realistic to plug a U87 into a $200 interface. That still won’t dumb it down to the same point as a Blue Yetti or equivalent USB mic.

The A/D converters are not even close in terms of quality. Of course, 90% of the people won’t hear the difference.

All that said, it’s a side discussion. You might consider joining his FB group dedicated to enhancing VO, spoken word and dialog, primarily using iZotope tools. (I think it’s called “Audio Rescue RX”)

He’s an expert in sound quality, I’m a trained singer/musician and VO artist.

For the people here looking to get into VO, get your room in shape, get a decent XLR mic and a mid range interface and you’ll do great. If you have to bootstrap and go cheap, there are plenty of alternatives, some better than others.

I’ve seen people succeed with less, and after you have your room in shape, then look at upgrading your equipment.

The rest of the discussions are mostly for entertainment purposes.

Few succeed because they have the best mics/interfaces, those can simply enhance or hinder what else you bring to the table. When you’re a seasoned pro like @newsmike, then you can get the high end mics/interfaces.

Great tech rarely gets you jobs, but weak tech can cost you plenty of them…

With all due respect, yes it will. The WEAKEST point in the chain limits the top end of the output.

That point is really not a matter of opinion, it really is dependent on laws of electronics, math and physics. Putting racing fuel in a Prius does not make it go any faster. And wanting it to be so, does not make it so.

However, this is how these discussions descend into endless versions of “My Nikon kicks your Canon’s ass”. That said, I don’t see it being a lot of fun that we go back and forth posting audio samples, screenshots of waveforms, and product tech sheets just to end up at the "aha, see, my photo sensor has one more pixel than yours. Besides boring us to death, the mods would fall asleep reading it.

I respect the fact that you are correct about many points, and have always found you to be valuable on the forum. This is a point that I think we can disagree on although, I would not be so quick to dismiss Shure on the subject.

It would be interesting to speak to your husband one day, sounds like he got into the business just a few years after me. Although most of my experience was in major market radio, and recording studios in NYC. If your husband ever needs some advice have him message me, I’ll be glad to help.

Also just to make sure that anyone reading this thread is still interested in the original though behind it, Yes both setups that Lisa and I have described will be adequate to start up on fiverr. Bottom line is that how you train your voice is far more important than what mic you speak into.

When you’re a seasoned pro like @newsmike, then you can get the high end mics/interfaces.

That’s true. Another good goal would be to mature their prices and stop selling at noobie levels. If you have the talent, you can drive sales based on talent as opposed to being the cheapest option.

With all due respect, yes it will. The WEAKEST point in the chain limits the top end of the output.

That point is really not a matter of opinion, it really is dependent on laws of electronics, math and physics. Putting racing fuel in a Prius does not make it go any faster. And wanting it to be so, does not make it so.

However, this is how these discussions descend into endless versions of “My Nikon kicks your Canon’s ass”. That said, I don’t see it being a lot of fun that we go back and forth posting audio samples, screenshots of waveforms, and product tech sheets just to end up at the "aha, see, my photo sensor has one more pixel than yours. Besides boring us to death, the mods would fall asleep reading it.

I respect the fact that you are correct about many points, and have always found you to be valuable on the forum. This is a point that I think we can disagree on although, I would not be so quick to dismiss Shure on the subject.

It would be interesting to speak to your husband one day, sounds like he got into the business just a few years after me. Although most of my experience was in major market radio, and recording studios in NYC. If your husband ever needs some advice have him message me, I’ll be glad to help.

Also just to make sure that anyone reading this thread is still interested in the original though behind it, Yes both setups that Lisa and I have described will be adequate to start up on fiverr. Bottom line is that how you train your voice is far more important than what mic you speak into.

When you’re a seasoned pro like @newsmike, then you can get the high end mics/interfaces.

That’s true. Another good goal would be to mature their prices and stop selling at noobie levels. If you have the talent, you can drive sales based on talent as opposed to being the cheapest option.

With all due respect, the latest $200 interfaces have amazingly low self noise. Maybe the interfaces 3-5 years ago, but the state of the art in electronics continues to improve, the A/D converters continue to advance. Smartphones today have more CPU power, storage space and memory than my desktop 10 years ago.

We’ve had Macintosh tube high-end amps and Tascam 4 track reel-to-reel at our house (with a mini recording studio) in the late 70’s, and now have two recording spaces, well tricked out.

Go get the specs on something like this… The pre-amps are FAR better than a USB mic. The A/D converters are in another league, the sampling rates and quality are things we only dreamed about in the analog days.

http://www.presonus.com/products/Studio-26

While I agree, pairing a U87 with a $200 preamp is not the ideal match, you’re missing the advances that are occurring, and a U87 with something like this is NOT the same as a USB mic.

It certainly doesn’t match the potential of that mic, but 99% of the people won’t hear the difference between this current gen of interfaces and the pre-amps/interfaces I’ve seen/used in my recording studio days. (My husband moved to LA to be a session musician in the early 80’s, so I’ve been inside enough state of the art studios in my day…)

For VO those are killer boxes (and I see them for $200 on the Sweetwater site.) I messed with them and a half dozen other interfaces at NAMM 5 months ago. I talked with the engineers, compared with the other brands. AMAZING quality for the price. (There are other examples too… I am blown away at this latest gen across a couple companies.)

I’m a dinosaur in this business, but been around pro audio my whole adult life. Lots of my engineer friends don’t keep up with the times and the advances.

Not my issue, and while weaker than I’d use for the pairing, a $200 interface with a high quality mike is still far better than 98% of the USB mics today.

Little of that matters for the VO artist just starting. They should focus on their space and room treatment, find a friend who has experience, invest where they can, and get started.

If you’re an “investment/return” type and committed to pursuing VO, go for better gear with an interface and XLR mic.

If you’re kicking the tires, then get stated and upgrade after you get some gigs and cash flow. You can easily get some success with a USB mic.

Archived