Fiverr Forum

Best way to handle 2nd seller's cancellation request resulting in TWO credits while I hire a third?!

I’m a newbie and need urgent advice!

A seller cancelled the job after missing the deadline and marking the job “complete” when 2 of 3 deliverables remained incomplete!

He asked me to re-send instructions as “modifications” so the work didn’t appear late. With so much work to be completed, I thought he was throwing the towel when in fact he was gaming the system.

He took offense when I told him that was unethical. I asked if he intended to complete my order and if so, by when. He ignored my question.

What are my options now?

If I ACCEPT cancellation becomes MUTUAL. The Seller wasted my time, did not deliver, and I can’t leave feedback. But I get a full refund, correct?

Please advise what happens to my money and leaving feedback if I DECLINE his request for cancellation.

Similarly, what if I did NOTHING?

Moving forward: How do I AVOID pouring MORE funds into my account as I attempt to hire a THIRD seller for the same gig with TWO credits: $100 from first seller cancelling the SAME gig earlier this week and $150 from second seller which is (hopefully) in the pipeline?

I’ve ask Customer Service for guidance which I’m sure they will eventually provide but I need to know before the order cancelation becomes permanent. Especially because… I don’t know what the consequences are!

Thanks in advance to taking the time.

1. “If I ACCEPT cancellation becomes MUTUAL. The Seller wasted my time, did not deliver, and I can’t leave feedback. But I get a full refund, correct?”
    – Yes, full refund… but it stays on your Fiverr account as credit, it doesn’t go back to the original source of your funds (ex: paypal)… unless you talk to Customer Support about it…

2. “Please advise what happens to my money and leaving feedback if I DECLINE his request for cancellation.”
    – the money is with the seller and if you choose to leave feedback on his work the feedback will be seen on his profile.

3. “Similarly, what if I did NOTHING?”
    – If as you said the seller “cancelled” the job, and you did nothing… the job will really be cancelled 2 days after he sent a request for cancellation. The money will go back to you… story will be the same as my first answer (refer to first number)

4. How do I AVOID pouring MORE funds into my account as I attempt to hire a THIRD seller for the same gig with TWO credits: $100 from first seller cancelling the SAME gig earlier this week and $150 from second seller which is (hopefully) in the pipeline?
    – Simply accept the cancellation of the first seller (the $100 will go back to you as Fiverr credit), and see to it 2nd seller really delivers… So you have $100 to spare for THIRD seller, make sure THIRD seller is someone that can really deliver, talk to him/her, check his samples if possible, etc2… agree that you only have $100 to spare for this gig. That’s it! You wont need to pour more funds anymore…

athena61 said: If I ACCEPT cancellation becomes MUTUAL. The Seller wasted my time, did not deliver, and I can’t leave feedback. But I get a full refund, correct?

Correct, and while it hurts to have your time wasted, at least be happy now you have money to hire someone else.

What did you order for $100?

I actually did spend time “vetting” sellers and was impressed with this one’s speed, ratings, reviews, and English! Unlike other TRS who replied, “sorry, too busy” this one probably thought he could “squeeze” in this job, and just didn’t have enough hours in the day to start and finish mine.

I’ll definitely take fast copywriter’s advice to break down big orders into smaller one in future!

Thank you.

Reply to @fastcopywriter: The same thing I ordered for $150(!) except I figured I was paying for speedy delivery (2 days)! My website crashed following WP’s latest update, which conflicted with my previous theme and plug-ins. My aim was to get the website back up and running as soon as possible keeping the same design (or as close to it as possible) so I requested an order to:

1- Change WP theme and create child folder (to store all custom coding so I can upgrade once updates are available without losing functionality or design.
2- Design homepage as per original available in web archives.
3- Tweak new theme design and ensure functionality, as necessary.

The seller had just gotten started by pulling together the ‘ingredients’ for deliverable no. 2 above when he marked the job complete and told me to ask for modifications!

Who can make this up?

Reply to @athena61: Here’s a tip, break down big orders into smaller ones, you might even be able to save some money, some sellers might change your WP theme and create a child folder for $10.

Was your seller a TRS?

Reply to @theratypist: Thanks!

– the money is with the seller and if you choose to leave feedback on his work the feedback will be seen on his profile.

I’m still not clear about what happens in DECLINE when there is an unfinished order that’s marked complete.

Also what should I leave feedback on if we’re not done yet and stuck in "mid-process?"
Are the circumstances I’ve described really common?

Reply to @fastcopywriter: Excellent advice! And yes, he is a TRS…

Reply to @athena61:
“I’m still not clear about what happens in DECLINE when there is an unfinished order that’s marked complete.”
– If seller requests a cancellation in the order and if you decline that means you still want to work with the seller… And seller has to finish the order…(Why’d you still want to decline anyway, the money goes back to you and you can find another seller?)… I don’t really understand what you mean by ‘unfinished order that is marked complete’, do you mean he delivered the work (as in you received a notification that “seller blah has delivered your work”) but he hasn’t sent everything you ordered on… Like he sent only 1 out of 3 of the agreed upon stuff? A seller can’t mark an order as complete… only you (the buyer) can, or the Fiverr system automatically marks it as complete three days after a seller “delivers” work…

“Also what should I leave feedback on if we’re not done yet and stuck in “mid-process?””
– You actually can’t leave feedback (referring to those 1-5 star reviews you can see on seller’s profiles) unless the order is marked “complete” by you… So simply put…

(Situation A) If you paid $5 to seller and if you decline seller’s request for cancellation, the $5 will be with seller regardless if he delivers 3 out of 3 deliverables or 1 out of 3 so long as he “delivered” the work (when i say “delivered” – that means you the buyer, has received some notification that seller has delivered the work… it’s like a gift icon you see in your notifications)…

(Situation B)
If you paid $5 to seller and he requests a cancellation and then you accept his cancellation, all money goes back to you… (forget the fact that he delivered one out of 3 of the deliverables-- you got your money back! go use it on someone who can deliver everything you asked for) but you can’t leave feedback on his profile… You can simply move on, use your $5 on someone else and that’s it!

Anyhow, I hope future orders you place will work out better and you wouldn’t have to go through a hassle similar to this. As fastcopywriter said, it’s better to break down the work you’re planning to order… so little by little you can check off each deliverable instead of one whole big delivery :slight_smile:

Reply to @athena61: Shocking then, a TRS should know better, and he should remember that some TRS’s have been demoted to level two for screwing up.

Thanks for sharing your story :slight_smile:

Reply to @theratypist:

It’s easy to be misled when you receive a message from the seller like the one I did below (blurred user ID, in case some privacy rule protects transgressors).

What I’m taking away from your reply is:

• the BUYER completes the order NOT the seller.
  • it pays to just “take the money and run!”

It remains beyond me how someone can deliver one third of a pizza when you’ve ordered and paid for a full one - albeit $150 is one expensive pizza! Thanks again.

Reply to @athena61: No problem! :slight_smile: Yes, $150 is really expensive and you deserve to get the most out of what you invested in for your order… I know how some sellers are just such a waste of time (had a couple of poor experiences as well, as I am also a buyer)… But don’t worry, you’ll discover some sellers around that are worth gold. You’ll have to dig deeper and make the most out of the search bar. (I find that the buyers’ request section isn’t very helpful–but that’s just me)… :smiley: