Fiverr Community Forum

"Bestselling" My Foot

What’s up with the search features “relevance” versus “best selling?”

Some of the “best selling” gigs listed in my keyword have exactly one sale ever. One of the ones on the top row has five. One on the second row has two sales. What is “best selling” supposed to mean? Does anyone have a way of looking at this that will make a tiny bit of sense?

On a normal site, “best selling” would be “total number of sales” and “Average customer review” would be highest review average, possibly adjusted for total number of reviews. And then maybe a newbie page so new folks don’t get lost. Fiverr doesn’t seem to have either of those in any way. What gives? Anybody have any insight?

16 Likes

No insight here, I’m afraid. It is very odd, though. - And confusing from a consumer perspective.

I worry about some of Fiverr’s bewildering methodology more with regard to how it impacts actual shopping experiences than I do seller convenience. - Even to me, ordering on Fiverr is more confusing than ever these days.

1 Like

Well, doesn’t make sense. But I have stopped seeing Fiverr as a serious source of income. I treat all Fiverr money as a nice bonus. Whatever I make, I am happy. Whenever I receive an order, I am thrilled. No expectations of any sort.

It’s back to how it was in the first 1 or 2 months I was here. I’m gonna enjoy my time on Fiverr without any expectations.

10 Likes

hi i have already informed this issue to fiverr CS & got bellow reply. :roll_eyes:

Bob

There are many factors to take into consideration when it comes with gig position in search, some of which may include order cancellations, delivery rate, responsiveness, number of orders in queue, etc.

Rankings change, they are not permanent. There may be other Gigs currently performing at a higher rate than yours. If other sellers are ranked higher, they may be consistently getting 5 stars, delivering on time, communicating quicker, etc. This all counts.

We encourage our sellers to make use of social media to optimize their visibility on the Internet. The buttons on your Gig page should be used to reach out to your social media contacts.

Please do some market research to help improve your Gig’s conversion rate. This could help improve sales. Also, don’t forget to reach out to potential buyers, who can be found in the “Buyer Requests” section of your Selling menu. They can be a goldmine.

As an additional resource, we encourage you to participate in the Fiverr Forums. Our more seasoned sellers are happy to share their tips and tricks.

4 Likes

Sounds like you just got a cut and paste response.

10 Likes

I think they know the issues & struggling to fixing it…

2 Likes

It’s probably a bug/problem with the algorithm, though it could be returning the results purposely in that order. Basically it should show the gigs that have sold the most at the top of the list (though that could be the most in a particular time period like “last 3 months” or “all time” etc). Though they could also take into account selling price and put the ones that have earned the most and the top - but I don’t think that’s the proper definition of “best selling”.

We also don’t see the actual number of sales, only the number of reviews. Though I still don’t think it’s working properly since a “best selling” gig shows a gig with 0 reviews at the top for me for one search term - I think it’s unlikely that’s actually sold more gigs than those with eg. 7 reviews.

Maybe it’s taking keywords etc. into account as well as other things (like some mentioned in the reply from CS above). But I don’t think it’s accurate. Fiverr should fix it as well as maybe give more control to the user doing the search in terms of filters/search order.

1 Like

Those are some good points. I hadn’t considered that it might be calculating dollars rather than number of sales.

1 Like

I noticed when I check into my gig page Fiverr has labeled one gig as “Best Selling.” It is not the gig I have the most reviews on or the one I have made the most :moneybag: on. It is the gig with the most Impressions, Views, and Clicks.

2 Likes

take it up to support and ask them to forward it to the product developer. They’re making a mess of the search listing

1 Like

Hi, Rachel!

“Bestselling” My Foot

@rachelbostwick LOL, you took the words right outta my mouth. :rofl:

I ran a few searches today and my goodness what a big friggin’ mess. I selected “bestselling” and nothing but PRO and New Sellers popped up all with :zero: reviews. Like, really? :smirk: The search feature is VERY unreliable, it’s such a shame because it’s taking me longer to find the Sellers that I need for certain projects. It’s confusing and just a big clusterFoot. :footprints:

3 Likes

But seriously, Fiverr was very stable for the first 3 years I’ve been here, from 2014 to the start of 2017. From 2017, I don’t know what has happened, there’s been too much uncertainty. They have attempted far too many changes, added far too many features, all at once, and I guess they are just as confused about it as we are.

8 Likes

I just tried this in my category (with “Show Pro Gigs” first turned off) - the two gigs of mine that were shown are probably my least selling gigs, both in terms of total orders and revenue… strange…

1 Like

I guess we can chalk it up to another bug :beetle:. Typically, when, I search I don’t filter out the PRO gigs because I like to compare. :smile: Also, I don’t have a problem buying from a PRO seller. My main concern is quality, communication & professionalism! :ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

With all the bugs we need to call in pest control… like yesterday. Hahaha.

2 Likes

:joy:

A phone call to Orkin (pest control company) or

A few cans of raid should do the trick. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Couldn’t agree with you more.

I agree Fiverr implements a lot of changes. 99.99999% of the time I appreciate their changes.

I’ve been here since 2013 and Fiverr has grown up by leaps and bounds since then. From what I know about programming, which is just enuff to boggle my mind, It’s a wonder to me that the site doesn’t have more issues that cut into sales considering their copious beta testing etc.
I also find the competition in my category to be more robust, the sellers more professional, and the Fiverr staff to be as responsive to issues as they always have been. As long as I’m able to communicate my issue effectively and know what I want. I think sellers got too comfortable with the placement in the search algorithm and when Fiverr changed it up they may have been shocked to find they have to work harder to place on that coveted first page or even close. I know I did/do! ;-p …I’m in other markets too and with the exception of my private clients from my website I earn about half of my income here and I get to do something I absolutely love every day.