Beware of Hustle buyers who offer your gig for more money, deliver your work then cancel and get refund

h26designs

I have a few months now on fiver and had 2 cancelations so far: both had the same pattern!

The seller comes to you, ask for a big order and always offer less money than you described, have a lot of requirements and short amount of time available. The first one asked for a translation, asked for 24h and also asked me to edit the document on google drive directly because of “confidentiality”, and also told me that if my work was good she would order more, after she had asked me to lower the price 3 times I ended up doing the work for half the price because I wanted to earn the client. I was eager to impress her so I left what I was working on and did her translation first and delivered. Then next day she filed dispute and asked for cancellation, she claimed that i never delivered and that she had her editor revised it and he said that it was “unreadable” and a bunch of false claims and that she was in trouble now and that the best I could do was refund her money, and so I did. Then out of curiosity i went to her profile and all the pictures were the same, and she had the same gig I had but for twice the price of mine. She kept my work and my money and deliver my work to her client.

Now It has happened again. This “girl” from pakistan has gigs of designing prezi presentations for twice the price from what I offer, she asked me to lower my price twice and she asked me about my experience with the software and wants me to send examples, I did send her all my prezi presentations ive done in the past and she then asked me to make a fabulous bla bla bla that she expected the best animation but not dizzy bla bla so i made it simple to avoid dizzy transitions. Lo-and-behold I wake up this morning she filed a dispute (not even a revision) and claimed my work was poor and that slides were missing which was not true. Again same pattern. I canceled the order because I just want to move on, lost $40 bucks, but that’s not what bothers me, it just bothers me that I had to stay up till 3am to complete that order when I could have slept well.

As sellers, has this happen to you? What can we do to protect ourselves? I want to know that I’m not alone in this, because as i have noticed fiverr favors the buyers, they want to keep them happy. I feel cheated.

I understand that sellers don’t have to be bad buyers, I mean Im a seller and I have bought gigs in the past to aid my work when Im overloaded, such as transcribing scanned documents or convert something when i won’t be able to get home soon enough or travelling, but this just makes me distrust buyers that sell gigs because now i think i might be scammed. Specially those people who just keep making requests and then keep wanting you to lower the price, they are usually turn out to be the worst clients.

Sorry about your bad experience. You should be more careful next time before cancelling orders. I once had a seller here on Fiverr order my gig and all the extras and as soon as I was done delivering. She sent a request to cancel for very amusing reasons. Since I was confident about my work I rejected to cancel the order. I then checked her profile and she was offering the same gig as mine for almost double the price without even a single review. I instantly messaged her and told her off. Even at that she was still recalcitrant and continued rejecting the order. Every time she rejected my order delivery, I delivered again. This went on for close to 3 weeks till the order was finally completed.

There are sellers on Fiverr who are just all about ripping other sellers. You have to be careful and watch out for your self. If someone keeps rejecting or asking for an outright refund and you are sure of what you deliver, don’t give in.

Sorry about your bad experience. You should be more careful next time before cancelling orders. I once had a seller here on Fiverr order my gig and all the extras and as soon as I was done delivering. She sent a request to cancel for very amusing reasons. Since I was confident about my work I rejected to cancel the order. I then checked her profile and she was offering the same gig as mine for almost double the price without even a single review. I instantly messaged her and told her off. Even at that she was still recalcitrant and continued rejecting the order. Every time she rejected my order delivery, I delivered again. This went on for close to 3 weeks till the order was finally completed.

There are sellers on Fiverr who are just all about ripping other sellers. You have to be careful and watch out for your self. If someone keeps rejecting or asking for an outright refund and you are sure of what you deliver, don’t give in.

Thanks buddy, I will definitively do that next time, those cheaters!

@h26designs: First off, never lower your prices to ridiculously low rates. Most who become repeat buyers pay the right price or might request very little discounts for a start. Many of my repeat buyers pay above my standard offering. Next, never cancel simply because a buyer wants to cancel. If you are fully confident you have delivered as required, stick to your guns. At worst, get the matter to CS. Cancellation should be your last resort, not your first.

You can visit this thread and see the comments there. There are so many who have suffered such, and worse.

@h26designs: First off, never lower your prices to ridiculously low rates. Most who become repeat buyers pay the right price or might request very little discounts for a start. Many of my repeat buyers pay above my standard offering. Next, never cancel simply because a buyer wants to cancel. If you are fully confident you have delivered as required, stick to your guns. At worst, get the matter to CS. Cancellation should be your last resort, not your first.

You can visit this thread and see the comments there. There are so many who have suffered such, and worse.

Thank you, that post was very eye opening!

When they ask me to lower my price, my answer is either “I’m sorry, but I can’t do that. It would be unprofessional and unfair to all of my buyers who have paid the full price.” or a short “I’m sorry, I can’t help you.” with no further explanations.

“I’m sorry, I can’t help you” is especially good for the obviously unreasonable ones (they want me to reduce my price, plus to deliver in 24 hours (I don’t offer guaranteed 24 hour delivery), plus they want more revisions than I offer). For that kind of buyers, here’s another one I use: “I’m sorry, but it looks like you messaged me by mistake. You need x, y, and z, and I offer a, b, and c. I’m really sorry, but I can’t help you.”

TL;DR version: just say “no” from the start.

When they ask me to lower my price, my answer is either “I’m sorry, but I can’t do that. It would be unprofessional and unfair to all of my buyers who have paid the full price.” or a short “I’m sorry, I can’t help you.” with no further explanations.

“I’m sorry, I can’t help you” is especially good for the obviously unreasonable ones (they want me to reduce my price, plus to deliver in 24 hours (I don’t offer guaranteed 24 hour delivery), plus they want more revisions than I offer). For that kind of buyers, here’s another one I use: “I’m sorry, but it looks like you messaged me by mistake. You need x, y, and z, and I offer a, b, and c. I’m really sorry, but I can’t help you.”

TL;DR version: just say “no” from the start.

This is a good one, I’m gonna save this one for use thanks 🙂

Archived