Building Relationships with Buyers: Why It's Important

brejay

Obviously, customer service is super important. But it’s about more than just the five star reviews! If you can build a good relationship with your buyers, you can see results in your paychecks.

1. Buyers recommend you. The easiest way to network is to let your buyers give you word-of-mouth customers. If you’re a great seller and they like both you and you work, they’ll recommend you to their friends and coworkers.

2. Regulars keep your stats high. Even if you go on vacation, you don’t have to worry about losing too much ground in the rankings if you have regulars. As soon as you’e back online, you’ll get orders saying, “Oh good, you’re back!” with revenue and reviews to follow and help restore any ground you risked losing during your break.

3. People who see you as a person will be nicer. Make a mistake once in a while? Of course, we all do. If your buyer you, knows your name, and has good communication with you, the occasional mistake is more easily forgiven.

4. Good service = regulars. Of course, this depends on the gig type! If you sell a product that can be purchased over an over, work hard to build relationships so you can get regulars. The best way to start is to answer messages quickly and responsibly and give a good first impression. Follow it up with excellent work.

Anyone have anything else to add? 🙂

Too many people see fiverr as a way to avoid customer service. But you need to work as hard online at customer service as you do offline.

Great tips.

Very true, however I experienced some of my best online customer service experiences on Fiverr, maybe not consistently, but some sellers really know what matters… 😊

Absolutely yes, especially with your repeat buyers.

I also ask and use their real first name as soon as possible. I always sign my messages with my first name, and much of the time they will do the same if we continue doing gigs together.

If they don’t provide a first name after a few gigs, I actually ask, then use their name in communications where practical.

Once you are using their names, and vise-versa, that’s a major win as that’s a different relationship than being a chat bot.

I also pay attention to how they communicate. Some of my volume repeat buyers are minimalists in terms of communications, and some are more chatty.

I recommend paying attention to their style and mirror/honor that most of the time.

For example: One major repeat buyer I have is a high ranking whiteboard creator. He does super high volume in his category and he’s subcontracting VO to me. Due to his volume, he really doesn’t want to spend too much time chatting with me. His messages are now very short as I know what he wants 99% of the time. So I return his audio with a quick message:

Hi XXXX [ his first name ], here’s your "XYZ Audio"
See you next gig.
Lisa

Every ten or twenty orders I’ll say something like: “I know I don’t tell you all the time, but I absolutely appreciate your repeat business and every order you send me. THANKS!”

(I even vary that message and occasionally thank him for rating me, etc.)

In other words, letting buyers know you appreciate their business is appropriate, but decide how much and how often based on their communication styles. Modify to match them where practical.

All about being friendly/professional, but NOT being chatty if that doesn’t fit their work style.

Absolutely yes, especially with your repeat buyers.

I also ask and use their real first name as soon as possible. I always sign my messages with my first name, and much of the time they will do the same if we continue doing gigs together.

If they don’t provide a first name after a few gigs, I actually ask, then use their name in communications where practical.

Once you are using their names, and vise-versa, that’s a major win as that’s a different relationship than being a chat bot.

I also pay attention to how they communicate. Some of my volume repeat buyers are minimalists in terms of communications, and some are more chatty.

I recommend paying attention to their style and mirror/honor that most of the time.

For example: One major repeat buyer I have is a high ranking whiteboard creator. He does super high volume in his category and he’s subcontracting VO to me. Due to his volume, he really doesn’t want to spend too much time chatting with me. His messages are now very short as I know what he wants 99% of the time. So I return his audio with a quick message:

Hi XXXX [ his first name ], here’s your "XYZ Audio"

See you next gig.

Lisa

Every ten or twenty orders I’ll say something like: “I know I don’t tell you all the time, but I absolutely appreciate your repeat business and every order you send me. THANKS!”

(I even vary that message and occasionally thank him for rating me, etc.)

In other words, letting buyers know you appreciate their business is appropriate, but decide how much and how often based on their communication styles. Modify to match them where practical.

All about being friendly/professional, but NOT being chatty if that doesn’t fit their work style.

@lisabaarns Thanks for this. I’m going to ask for first names more often now. And the occasional thank-you is a great idea, too!

Archived