Buyer asking for a LOT of work

lauraforsyth

Hi, so I have a situation with a buyer that I’m not sure what to do about.

He has messaged me asking if I am interested in creating XXX emails over a long period of time. My gig is only for one email so I thought this was great!

However, when I have had a conversation with him he tells me that I need to come up with and plan the email subject and full content. Normally buyers just send me the information about their business and what they want included as they should know best.

I’m baffled as to why he’s asking me to basically plan out his whole email campaign series when I do not offer this.

Has anybody else had similar problems? I don’t know how to approach the situation but I do not have time to PLAN and WRITE the content for just $5 profit per email.

From my view there are some buyer will come and they won’t have the traditional way of working as you expect like recourses and everything…
Of course it is unexpected for a seller…
but end of the you should get the full briefing regarding wht he wanted before taking the order…

Then you can decide to take the order or offer a custom order.
For a seller communication is a soul purpose…
End of the day if you think this work wasn’t what you expected the Resolution centr is there

favicon-32x32.png.f8fe407a533e76fcf690b594fa4cdd6a.png Fiverr.com
fiverr-og-logo-c245a93f73934a327f20392445b55b43.thumb.png.7da59e71ca2e3b30ccfb6552e0427087.png

Fiverr Help and Education Center

One marketplace, millions of professional services. Browse. Buy. Done.

I think the buyer is expecting a lot from me for a very low money but I don’t know how to tell them that!

I would say something similar to

“Hi! Unfortunately I can’t help you with this project at your current budget! I’m very sorry about that! I would love to help you for a higher price! Is that okay with you? Thanks!”

Upsell him!

200 for planning one campaign, then 5 per email. 🙂

Later on the campaign would look something like:

Week 1
0. Welcome email

1. Offer product

2. Content

3. IF > Then:
    3.1 If doesn’t the email generating money then send X email
    3.2 If opens, clicks the link but doesn’t buy then offer discount

Week 2
4. Emotional storytelling addressing an issue
5. Content

Week 3
6. Giveaway
7. FOMO

Week 4
8. Say something useful

Week 5
9. Flash sale
10. Scarcity

Etc 😊

More than 2 emails per week, I personally don’t find healthy for a brand.

24 emails = 3 months worth of emails your customer won’t have to think about.

If he doesn’t know how to set-up automation, you could upsell him that too.

200 plan a 24 emails campaign
100 set-up his Auto-responder
120 for writing the 24 emails at 5 bucks each

420 for 2-3 days of work.

I often get asked to do jobs that are somehow similar or linked to my main gig - but aren’t actually my gig (if that makes sense!). My thought process is very simple.

Does the approach feel genuine? Yes or no.
Can I do the job? Yes or no.
Am I interested in doing the job? Yes or no.
Do I have time for the job job? Yes or no.

If I answer ‘yes’ to all of the questions then I will consider how long it would take me, and therefore how much I should charge. I then submit a custom offer.

The only world of caution I would urge is that the buyer’s ‘approach’ must feel genuine - you’ve really got to listen to your gut instinct in cases like this. For example, “Although I see your gig is for one email, your feedback is so positive that I hope you would consider working with me on planning an entire email campaign”. Perfect!

I had a similar thing yesterday and pretty much used the same process as @english_voice did.

Also remember that a lot of scammers will come promising you “Lots of work” and “a long-term relationship” if you can “just do this bit of extra work for me so I can see that you will be a good fit” or some nonsense along those lines.

I am guessing this person hasn’t even ordered one of your gigs and is already wanting you to plan a whole campaign? But if he is a repeat buyer then there’s a bit more credibility there. But trust your instincts. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

Greed and FOMO are emotions that scammers and time wasters prey on.

A simple and polite “Sorry, that’s not a service I offer, but I wish you the best in finding someone suitable. Take care” should be enough to end it.

Personally I’d rather lose one or two potential sales than put up with unreasonable buyers like that. Plus reasonable customers read and understand your gig offerings 🙂

Archived