Buyer Can CANCEL Order for ANY REASON and get refund AFTER DELIVERY!

angiesvoice_vo

Had a buyer who requested numerous voice recordings with music. Order was delivered and buyer changed his mind stating he decided he wants a MALE voice instead of a Female voice (me), and wants me to deliver the recordings in a male voice. My gig is very clear that it is for a female voice, no male voices are offered. Buyer wants to cancel AND GET A REFUND because he now wants a male voice instead. This order took quite a lot of time to produce and was delivered exactly as my gig described. Recordings were very high quality and professional. I have excellent reviews from all of my previous buyers. I reached out to Fiverr customer support and brought up that this buyer is violating the Terms of Service by trying to cancel after receiving the order simply because he changed his mind and wants a male voice. The gig was delivered as described. This is like hiring a contractor to remodel your kitchen, and then wanting a refund when the work is done because you changed your mind and decided you want to remodel your bathroom instead. Fiverr support replied stating that they are “sorry” for the experience, but in essence, the buyer can cancel for ANY reason. This is what they responded with:
"While we would not cancel an order based on personal taste directly, the buyer does have the final word on how their funds are spent and any reason they want to cancel an order for is valid."
This is unacceptable to me as a seller. There is no protection for sellers who have spent a lot of time/energy on a project and makes it very easy for sellers to be taken advantage of. Time to spread the word. Anyone else have this experience?

• Like 45
  • Sad 22
  • Up 5
  • Thanks 1

If you search forum, you will find a lot A LOT of topics from sellers just like you experiencing the same thing. Even TRS and PRO are experiencing this on their 1000$+ GIGS.

Just recently PRO seller was taken by 800$ profit due to buyer asking for cancellation.

For this reason, I treat some of my buyers as 5-year old kids. With respect, of course, but mentality of a 5-year old. I repeat over and over what I do, what is offered what is included and only to accept offer or make order if they understand what I have typed.
I even make remark couple of times to indicate I am female. You would be surprised how many order VO without listening to samples.

You have seller that does German CV, it is clearly stated in his GIG title, description and order, but every week he has cancellations due to people ordering and demanding English. He went from level two to zero due to that.

• Like 33
  • Sad 3
  • Up 2
  • Thanks 1

If you search forum, you will find a lot A LOT of topics from sellers just like you experiencing the same thing. Even TRS and PRO are experiencing this on their 1000$+ GIGS.

Just recently PRO seller was taken by 800$ profit due to buyer asking for cancellation.

For this reason, I treat some of my buyers as 5-year old kids. With respect, of course, but mentality of a 5-year old. I repeat over and over what I do, what is offered what is included and only to accept offer or make order if they understand what I have typed.

I even make remark couple of times to indicate I am female. You would be surprised how many order VO without listening to samples.

You have seller that does German CV, it is clearly stated in his GIG title, description and order, but every week he has cancellations due to people ordering and demanding English. He went from level two to zero due to that.

Great, i learned something from this…

• Like 21
  • Up 4

It’s very unsettling. This makes it ripe for scammers to get work done for free. I’m not sure I want to continue with Fiverr anymore if they aren’t stepping up to protect sellers.

• Like 27
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 3

It’s very unsettling. This makes it ripe for scammers to get work done for free. I’m not sure I want to continue with Fiverr anymore if they aren’t stepping up to protect sellers.

I’m not sure I want to continue with Fiverr anymore

It is not going to change.

What I noticed and it seems to work, I offer client a 5$ or 10$ sample. He pays me for my time and works to produce a sample. If he likes the sample then we switch to the mayor order. If he doesn’t like the sample have a nice day. I got paid for what I did.

Make the basic gig package a sample.

• Like 31
  • Confused 1
  • Up 1

What I noticed and it seems to work, I offer client a 5$ or 10$ sample. He pays me for my time and works to produce a sample. If he likes the sample then we switch to the mayor order. If he doesn’t like the sample have a nice day. I got paid for what I did.

That may be helpful to try. However, it still doesn’t stop a scam buyer from thinking of an excuse to get a refund once a large project is delivered. Fiverr needs to step up to make it a secure place for sellers, but it doesn’t sound like they will.

• Like 27
  • Sad 2
  • Up 2

I love this solution. Sorry that Fiverr handled it this way, @angiesvoice_vo. It really is appalling and another reason I don’t care about levels and don’t do projects that take a long time unless I know the seller and really trust them (and my definition of a long time on a Fiverr gig is a few hours or so).

• Like 30
  • Up 1

• 6 months later...

I just had a similar situation happen to me, and it’s very frustrating. I create videos and after delivering an order three days ahead of schedule, completely within the scope of my gig, the buyer cancelled the order and requested a refund due to it “not being delivered on time”. The buyer’s account magically “no longer existed” after this incident. So my 4 hours of work and earnings are down the drain. I contacted Fiverr only to receive a response one month later saying that:

"This was reviewed by our relevant team and it was determined that in this case, we won’t be able to compensate you for this order.

You can check this article here which explains that sellers are responsible for service-related chargebacks.

I hope this clarifies."

Haha, as this absolutely does not clarify I’ve sent another email asking for further information, but I’m not hopeful I will get anything back. So, yeah, I also feel very disappointed that there is no protection for their sellers, even though they preach otherwise.

• Like 23
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3
  • Up 2

I just had a similar situation happen to me, and it’s very frustrating. I create videos and after delivering an order three days ahead of schedule, completely within the scope of my gig, the buyer cancelled the order and requested a refund due to it “not being delivered on time”. The buyer’s account magically “no longer existed” after this incident. So my 4 hours of work and earnings are down the drain. I contacted Fiverr only to receive a response one month later saying that:

"This was reviewed by our relevant team and it was determined that in this case, we won’t be able to compensate you for this order.

You can check this article here which explains that sellers are responsible for service-related chargebacks.

I hope this clarifies."

Haha, as this absolutely does not clarify I’ve sent another email asking for further information, but I’m not hopeful I will get anything back. So, yeah, I also feel very disappointed that there is no protection for their sellers, even though they preach otherwise.

The buyer’s account magically “no longer existed” after this incident.

Your buyer did a chargeback via PayPal most likely. When that happens, their account is removed by Fiverr automatically. That also means your funds are gone. It happened to many a lot of times. But… there’s nothing you can really do. Sometimes Fiverr can compensate, other times they can’t…

• Like 24
  • Congrats! 1
  • Up 2

• 1 month later...

I have an order I’m working on right now where I fear this very thing might happen, which is how I found your post.

I had no idea that people could cancel orders in revision. I think that’s ridiculous.

I wrote a 16,000 word piece for a difficult client and am now awaiting revision instructions, which are taking an eerily long time to arrive.

I guess the only way to avoid this would be to only offer small-sized gigs that don’t take very long to complete. You could still get scammed out of payment on the small gig, but it’s a lot better than getting scammed out of a big one.

I’m going to be changing my gigs and telling buyers that from now on they’ll be allowed to buy in 2000 word max. increments because of this. :woman_shrugging:t2:

• Like 25
  • Up 2

• 2 months later...

I give content ideas for creators. This buyer after seeing the ideas, which they probably wrote on paper asked for dispute and it's first time getting a dispute. Like I have done the work for the them for free and my also my delivery compilations will less because of them. This is so annoying, like fiverr has no protection for its seller =

• Like 23
  • Up 1

It's ridiculous.  Their whole cancellation policy is a flippin joke.  I can come to a MUTUAL agreement with a buyer and it still counts against me?!!! How is this even remotely an acceptable response when both the seller and the buyer are satisfied with the resolution?  And for someone who does Fiverr part time, the idea that they only use a 60 day revolving time period to determine your rating is soooo stupid.  I'm closing in on 200 orders with a 5 star record through out, but some yahoo, who wants to cheat the system can threaten to give me 1 stars if I don't cancel and because I only do a couple of orders a month, my cancellation rating is in the trash bin and I get a demoted seller rating.  This does NOT, in ANY way accurately depict my abilities as a seller.  It's aggravating as all get out.

I've also changed how I operate, I do almost all of the work with no order in the system, I get to feel out the buyer and if I even sniff a con job, I don't finish it, block the user to prevent them ordering a gig specifically to leave a crap rating or cancel and I chalk it up to lost revenue but saved sanity.  It's depressing that I have to operate like this because Fiverr refuses to see how utterly ignorant and STUPID their cancellation policy is.

• Like 24
  • Up 5

• 2 weeks later...

I just robbed the same way and feel so demotivated 

A new buyer with no reviews or previous buys placed an order, I did the work, sent him samples, he said he likes them but needed a few changes which I did.

Soon after delivering he tells me he can not accept the work simply because he has had  divided feelings  about it (He states poor quality as reason to cancel), but I declined

I ask him what exactly is wrong with the work then he sends another cancel request stating  (seller cannot do this job). I declined again

After I contacted support, they told me to keep engaging the buyer until we reach an agreement, but strange at the same time they canceled my order and refunded the buyer, but my support ticket is still open and Fiverr is asking to me to update them about the progress of my disputed order. I just don't  get this

• Like 23
  • Sad 1
  • Up 2

On 5/4/2021 at 1:12 PM, scarlettmoro said:

I have an order I’m working on right now where I fear this very thing might happen, which is how I found your post.

I had no idea that people could cancel orders in revision. I think that’s ridiculous.

I wrote a 16,000 word piece for a difficult client and am now awaiting revision instructions, which are taking an eerily long time to arrive.

I guess the only way to avoid this would be to only offer small-sized gigs that don’t take very long to complete. You could still get scammed out of payment on the small gig, but it’s a lot better than getting scammed out of a big one.

I’m going to be changing my gigs and telling buyers that from now on they’ll be allowed to buy in 2000 word max. increments because of this. :woman_shrugging:t2:

@scarlettmoro

I also ended up on this thread because I'm worried an article gig I completed will get cancelled even though I've delivered it (I've been trying to determine which format is best to send to buyers - for this one I send MS Word and PDF). My article was 1088 words (1K max - the extra 88 is free), and was $5.00. After conversion and Fiverr's commission, it's probably 2-3 quid for me. So I've reduced my word count for this basic gig to 700 words, which also seems to be the average for article packages (at the basic level). I'd recommend switching to 700 words if you can for your basic package and ask buyers you don't know to go with the basic option first as a way to get a feel for how trust-worthy they are. Good luck!

• Like 22
  • Up 3

On 8/12/2021 at 10:56 PM, graphicballads said:

I just robbed the same way and feel so demotivated 

A new buyer with no reviews or previous buys placed an order, I did the work, sent him samples, he said he likes them but needed a few changes which I did.

Soon after delivering he tells me he can not accept the work simply because he has had  divided feelings  about it (He states poor quality as reason to cancel), but I declined

I ask him what exactly is wrong with the work then he sends another cancel request stating  (seller cannot do this job). I declined again

After I contacted support, they told me to keep engaging the buyer until we reach an agreement, but strange at the same time they canceled my order and refunded the buyer, but my support ticket is still open and Fiverr is asking to me to update them about the progress of my disputed order. I just don't  get this

So sorry about your experience. One thing is sure, Fiverr Favors the buyer each time. Its the reality we all have to face. Stay motivated . In a Personal business, stuff like this happen and sometimes we lose to gain more. We'll be fine.

• Like 24
  • Up 1
  • Thanks 1