Fiverr Community Forum

Buyer dictated the entire design, let me finish, now wants to cancel

So I have been working with this person on a design for a cover for over 3 months now, it is has been very slow going because they have edits on edits they send edits then decide they don’t like them and have me revert back and then revert back those, it’s been simi nightmarish, to the point my eyes sorta glaze over reading his super long revision list.

That being said this buyer provided the artwork for the cover, they dictated the whole entire design, down to the color and font placement, I am extremely easy to work with so I just followed directions. This buyer also had 2 versions of his cover done in two languages, I did the English version, he signed off on it multiple times, says “oh it’s great, it’s good, I love it”. Before we started on the other language version I made sure the English one was finished, he agreed and said it was done.

I finished the entire German version and then he gets back to me with, well I took out the cover on the street and it’s a failure people said it’s not good, so I want a complete refund. He also told me he went to law school (whatever that means) and that I would lose if I tried to fight him on a refund.

I mean I know how Fiverr works and I think it’s a good system, but it’s just so frustrating to be in this situation, and I super vet people I work with to try to weed people out who do this type of stuff or are flaky.

I’m curious what you guys do, do you just take the hit and cancel and lose about 3-4 hours worth of your time and months of revisions, or do you just refuse and let the order sit in your queue forever…?

He proposed giving me like 20% of the fee, which is ridiculous, I proposed I’ll take 70% he can have 30% back.

It’s just very frustrating, I do amazing work and I actually care and if the guy would have let me I could have made an AMAZING cover for him. I’m just not sure how I could have avoided this situation because at every moment he told me we were moving in the right direction with the cover and he loved it.

Well just wanted to rant a bit :confused: hope everyone is having an awesome day.

Cheers!
Rob W.

1 Like

With your current excellent rating? Take the ‘bad’ review, it’ll barely impact it. You can, in turn, rate the buyer honestly, and respond to their review.

Even without your rating, I’d want to be paid for my time and effort.

7 Likes

This is literally against the ToS, so it would be a fat no from me. Let him leave a bad review if he wants. You worked on this for 3 months. Get paid.

3 Likes

These type of buyers, the ones that always have to control everything, specifically the design side of things. They are too difficult to deal with. He wanted a refund because he didn’t like his design after seeing it, he should let you design it. Or he should learn the programs and then he can do it himself…waste only his own time. Charge him, take the potential bad review and then review his bad review with professionalism. It wont affect your sales.

Yeah so we ended up doing a like 70-30 split I took 70% which I was fine with, it was just still frustrating. I don’t like holding people hostage on orders, but this buyer was just so difficult. He gave me a 5 star review on the refund gig and I gave him a 2 star and he got very mad at me and wrote me a long letter.

I just don’t understand really how people have so little self awareness when they say they like something until the order is 99.5% done then say they want a refund and somehow this is my fault. I told him I told the truth in the review and he seemed like a nice guy before all of this, but hopefully this will warn other designers.

idk, I hope you all are having great weeks, thanks for the responses :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can you explain what is exactly against ToS ? Thank you!

Terms Of Service:

Orders are not eligible to be cancelled based on the quality of service/materials delivered by the Seller if the service was rendered as described in the Gig Page . Buyers may rate their experience with the Seller on the Order Page, including the overall level of service quality received.

2 Likes

If you don’t mind can you tell how you did 70-30 split as orders are already paid. Just curious to know.

Had a similar experience once when buyer asked to cancel after going through a lot of revisions just because his team didn’t approved them. Buyers like these are truly a nightmare.

2 Likes

Found here: https://sellers.fiverr.com/en/article/seller-faqs

3 Likes

Thank You
Got to learn something new today on forum:)

1 Like

Yeah doing a split like that is a hassle for the buyer though because they have to front the money. I really wish there was some type of partial refund system on here, would help a lot in situations like this.

I was in a similar situation fairly recently.

Someone came in with a very detailed vision and purchased a more expensive package by accident. I warned them that no partial refunds were possible and offered to cancel and send an offer for a correct amount instead. They said it was fine, they were willing to proceed as is.

The first round of revisions was minor, things were looking good. The second round rolled around and suddenly “something wasn’t working” about the entire artwork.

I was willing to have another go for an extra and create another design but after days of frustrating communication it became clear to me they had no idea of what they wanted (I didn’t either).

They asked for partial refund (the difference between the Standard and the Premium). I reminded them that as I said previously, it wasn’t possible. And that it was their choice to proceed. Then braced myself for a CS cancellation but nothing happened as of yet. Still, a partial refund option would save me some nerve cells.

I think buyers like this consider themselves and their own ideas nothing short of genius. Then they see those ideas realized and just fall out of love with them. And we get to deal with that frustration and disappointment.

It’s good that the situation is over for you even though you deserved nothing short of 100% payment and then some for dealing with it.

2 Likes

I used to support artists in my career and it’s remarkable how some people act when their work is their baby. It really affects how they see things and then that can shift if they finally start seeing themselves as others do.

Some artists are weirdly intense and out of touch when their work is their baby and they’re obsessed with it.