Buyer only speaks spanish! Should I cancel?

misscrystal

Once again I have a buyer who only speaks Spanish. I send a lot of long messages. It’s a pain. I hate to cancel but last time this happened was when someone sent hundreds of messages after the order was delivered demanding a refund, and kept it up for a month all in Spanish, hundreds of messages which were abusive. In fact that was the only other time this happened.

Any thoughts on it? It’s really difficult and I know there will be misunderstandings. Already this buyer is asking questions in Spanish which I explained in messages I sent. They ordered the minimum also.

Don’t they have a translation service built into fiverr for when this is needed?

I cannot imagine buying any gig that is in a language I don’t understand. What in the heck? Then sending messages knowing I don’t understand them?

What could be going on in their minds? That other one was the worst buyer I ever had.

It does seem odd.

For some gigs, I am sure Google translate could make it work but I think with something like yours, the risk of misunderstandings is probably quite high and could lead to issues.

I’ve had a few instances when a buyer would try to force me to communicate in Russian assuming that I spoke the language based on my country of origin. I do but I only communicate in English on fiverr. It’s stated in my profile. Mainly based on the fact that if things go wrong, I highly doubt that CS could offer assistance in Russian. I cancelled every time. Every profile has a list of languages the seller is comfortable with. Buyers can’t just assume their every wish will be accommodated.

The other time this happened, the person used the fact they only spoke Spanish to send his abusive messages knowing it would add that extra element of frustration for me to deal with, hoping for a free service.

Something is wrong with this.

The idea people would send messages they know you don’t understand…

CS advises me to cancel it but says it will affect my cancellation rate.

Regarding language, for sellers, in the Seller Help Center, it says:

Language

To work with Fiverr, your command of the English language (speaking and writing) must be at a high level. Your mother tongue does not necessarily have to be English, but we expect sellers to communicate in the platform with a proficient level of English-speaking skills. You can add up to four languages. Only add languages in which you can communicate proficiently. The success of your business depends on this.

The equivalent quote from the Buyer Help Center:

Seller Language: Fiverr sellers are located in all parts of the world. Sellers can indicate which languages they speak, allowing you to filter by language and providing you with the opportunity to write to a seller in your native language.

No idea why anyone would try to communicate with someone in a language they haven’t listed/they might not speak.

Perhaps you can convince CS with that quote, as you don’t have Spanish listed as language but only English.

Regarding language, for sellers, in the Seller Help Center, it says:

Language

To work with Fiverr, your command of the English language (speaking and writing) must be at a high level. Your mother tongue does not necessarily have to be English, but we expect sellers to communicate in the platform with a proficient level of English-speaking skills. You can add up to four languages. Only add languages in which you can communicate proficiently. The success of your business depends on this.

The equivalent quote from the Buyer Help Center:

Seller Language: Fiverr sellers are located in all parts of the world. Sellers can indicate which languages they speak, allowing you to filter by language and providing you with the opportunity to write to a seller in your native language.

No idea why anyone would try to communicate with someone in a language they haven’t listed/they might not speak.

Perhaps you can convince CS with that quote, as you don’t have Spanish listed as language but only English.

She has English listed as her language on her profile. I think this is another suspicious order.

Use Google Translate For Any Translations.I Use This and i have a no problem about translation.!!!

That’s not good. What if a buyer gets upset because you can’t communicate well? Or what if something gets, literally, lost in translation. It’s not good business practice, and Fiverr doesn’t endorse it.

Use Google Translate For Any Translations.I Use This and i have a no problem about translation.!!!

You only think you have no problem. When I was new, buyers sent me articles for proofing that were google translated from a non-English text. They did not make much sense at all. I soon learned to deny or cancel such orders.

I think my friend @zeus777 who proofreads to see if Japanese texts are correctly translated and not google translated may have something to add to what I just said.

That’s not good. What if a buyer gets upset because you can’t communicate well? Or what if something gets, literally, lost in translation. It’s not good business practice, and Fiverr doesn’t endorse it.

Things can get sooo easily lost in translation. And even just one word can change an entire meaning. It’s just plain risky, plus extra work to make sure you’ve decoded everything properly.

Anyone who expects me to communicate in a language I don’t understand is going to be difficult in lots of other ways, too.

I would cancel, they are showing too many red flags.
But I think I would’ve try to negotiate with CS as @miiila advices and also kind of hint that it’s a service that you don’t provide which is true, you do not provide any services in Spanish language.
If someone submits requirements or messaging me in a different language I politely point out that I don’t speak that language and they need to copy it for me in English. Most of them switch to English right away but if they don’t I just cancel, I’m not paid to google translate their each message and guess if translation is correct or not.

You only think you have no problem. When I was new, buyers sent me articles for proofing that were google translated from a non-English text. They did not make much sense at all. I soon learned to deny or cancel such orders.

I think my friend @zeus777 who proofreads to see if Japanese texts are correctly translated and not google translated may have something to add to what I just said.

Oh boy oh boy do I have a lot of stories to tell! 😅

Google CAN be ( at times) somewhat of an OK guideline, but one little wrong word can completely mess up the entire sentence!

Oh that must be horrible! So far google translator has been enough to handle similar stuff for me. But I can imagine it becoming tedious if lots of translating is needed. :thinking: Perhaps it’s time for Fiverr to think about how to improve the experience. I’ve sent them suggestions on how to remove or at least limit language barriers. The person liked my suggestions very much and forwarded them, but that was a year ago.

I Use This and i have a no problem about translation.!!!

You’ve had a total of 2 orders so far, and no reviews. For all you know, your buyers might have thought that your communication was awful, but didn’t want to ruin your account with a bad rating.

Things can get sooo easily lost in translation. And even just one word can change an entire meaning. It’s just plain risky, plus extra work to make sure you’ve decoded everything properly.

Anyone who expects me to communicate in a language I don’t understand is going to be difficult in lots of other ways, too.

You got that right! …

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

use google translate and reply his/her

As @catwriter said:

You haven’t read anything that anyone else posted, have you?

Also, @moonglademarket said:

For the types of services that misscrystal offers, it really makes no sense for the buyer to be acting this way. Google Translate works for some things, but stuff like readings require a strong understanding of the language that your reader speaks!

Please do not comment unless you have read and understood the whole issue.

Archived