Fiverr Forum

Buyer rejected for email request; project is on Google Docs

I’ve created a large project in Google Docs for which I need some Patreon Page Help. My first pick responded quickly, rejecting my request for his email. He did not want to share due to contractual agreement with Fiverr.

My request permits me to invite him to vew the project. Email is required by Google. This gives me a modicum of protection against theft or copying. This is the only reason for the need of the seller’s email.

In the discussion between us, he was quite rigid on this permission and we cancelled the job immediately, to my disappointment.

Is he not clear on the concept? Or am I misinformed by the red copy appearing when I am corresponding in the Fiverr system? (The warning signs say that providing email, ■■■■■ or phone is only ALLOWED if it is needed)

Thanks!

• To protect our users’ privacy, user identities are kept anonymous. Requesting or providing Email addresses, ■■■■■/IM usernames, telephone numbers or any other personal contact details to communicate outside of Fiverr in order to circumvent or abuse the Fiverr messaging system or Fiverr platform is not permitted.
  • Any necessary exchange of personal information required to continue a service may be exchanged within the order page.

The above is from the Terms of Service which you will find at the bottom of the Fiverr main page.

Are you sure that email is required? I regularly work for customers on Google docs without them needing my email.
I get the link and can work on their docs or tables without having to be logged into my own Gmail.

I’ve had customers though who needed my email so I could access their websites to work in there, in which case, yes, it’s allowed to give an email as long as it’s clearly needed, done on the order page (not in chat), and not used for anything else than to do the work (no communication via the email).

Your seller might want to ask support about that to be sure if they may share their mail without fear of bad consequences.

The seller is afraid that they will get permanently banned if they provide you with their email address. Technically speaking, it is allowed to share contact details on the order page if it’s necessary for the order, but what is truly necessary is open to interpretation (I have the same experience as @miiila, I’ve received a link to Google docs and didn’t have to provide my email address to view it).

I personally use dropbox, as it doesn’t have the permissions/email requirement that google docs can sometimes throw up (I’ve not yet worked out how to avoid that!)

Seems like a tougher situation. I am new here so can’t help you on this. I think we should read the fiverr rules and regulations more sincerely.Fiverr’s Terms of Service are made for the better outcome of buyer and seller.

Dropbox is nice for file exchange, but the way many people and companies use Google docs is for collaboration, like I translate into the Google tabs table row for German, reply to questions in the comment row, they reply to questions or comments of mine, etc. Without having to save and send x versions of files forth and back.

A lot of people don’t work with files at all anymore but have all their stuff in Google docs for quick and hassle free collaboration within their own team and with freelancers.

The terms are also repeated below the communications panel for contacting the sellers. ’ Terms of Service reminder:
Providing email, ■■■■■, or phone number is only allowed if it is needed as part of the service. Otherwise, all communication must go through Fiverr."

[screenshot removed for including information about another user]

Thank you for quoting these lines. These are very helpful TOS, we maximum don’t quote when we read TOS of Fiverr.

What you’re saying all makes sense, and most sellers who have been here a while are very clear on Fiverr’s TOS.

However… Fiverr have been known to be a touch gung-ho when it comes to enforcing their terms against sellers, sometimes in a contradictory manner. We’ve all read posts by sellers who have had their accounts shut down with little warning for apparently minor infractions. And I’m afraid the rule that Fiverr insist we stick to most rigidly is not taking business away from Fiverr. If Fiverr CS get so much of a hint that you might be attempting to transact (now or in the future) away from Fiverr, you’re liable as a seller to lose your account. No second chances, your business is destroyed.

I know this wasn’t what you were attempting to do here by the way. I totally get that the email was an administrative necessity for your project. But by having your seller’s email address, it could be argued that you could avoid Fiverr in the future, and deal directly with the seller. There is a chance that Fiverr CS would interpret this as the seller attempting to avoid the 20% fee by getting your contact details to take business away from the site. Most sellers, ourselves included, simply will not take that chance, regardless of what the TOS say.

Because of this, your seller absolutely did the right thing. We would have (and have done) the same. They COULD have contacted CS on your behalf to request written permission, but honestly, unless you were offering them a lot of money for the project, most sellers would see this as a lot of extra effort, and still a risk.

Sorry - I know that doesn’t help your situation. But as a rule of thumb, regardless of what the TOS say, if you can avoid sharing contact details in any way possible, you’re more likely to have a successful transaction with your sellers.