Buyer request needs to provide definitions!

For the first time since joining Fiverr two years ago, I decided to try responding to a few buyer requests. OMG. I understand that only gigs in the same category can be sent, but how on earth do buyers decide what categories they list in? Almost every single time I try to submit, only a ‘wrong’ gig is available.

Do buyers list in the categories they think they’ll get the most responses from regardless of what they actually want to buy?

What a honking waste of time!

EDIT: A “flag” button would be helpful too. :slight_smile:

The only solution I can see to the problem you are having is to look to see what category the “wrong” Gig is categorized under. Then move the “correct” Gig to that category. If you are getting a lot of Requests in that category, then you might consider leaving it there otherwise you can move it back after you have made your offer.

I can’t see Fiverr ever fixing this. Mostly because I can’t see a way to fix it.

Agreed, there are some areas, particularly ones that involve proofreading different types of work that have huge crossover and because of the category selected, I have to suggest a less relevant gig. I’m not sure why you can’t just suggest any gig freely, how does having an area help?

academictext said: I'm not sure why you can't just suggest any gig freely, how does having an area help?
As I see it that would mean that buyers would need to make a "universal request" that would be seen by nearly every seller on Fiverr resulting in, literally, thousands of offers being made and it would not prevent sellers from making offers totally unrelated to the Gig request.

Reply to @ricksper: How would that happen any different from now? At least recently everyone by all levels has 10 chances to submit a gig offer every 24 hours. If people wanted to they could start from the top and submit 10 without even reading. Or, they can read and try to submit the best 10 which would still result in some being off the mark. There are bound to be thousands of offers already going out that don’t match the request since people just send the first gig that pops up.

But from the buyer’s standpoint, it would mean that the amount of irrelevant offers would increase by untold numbers from totally irrelevant categories. Not to mention the spam.

fonthaunt said: There are bound to be thousands of offers already going out that don't match the request since people just send the first gig that pops up.
True, but they are not all going to the same buyer. Requests shown to me are made in the Graphics & Design / Photo Editing Category and I typically see 75 - 150 offers per request which can be overwhelming for a Buyer to sort through. Imagine if all Sellers could respond to all requests with any Gig they felt like offering...

Reply to @ricksper: I appreciate the suggestion, but I don’t think I can muster up the gumption to bother. :slight_smile:

Reply to @madmoo: I don’t think I need to add “spammer” to my Fiverr resume. :wink:

It would be cool if buyers just realized that they’d probably save more time and get better quality by simply looking for gigs they want instead of literally asking for spam by using a flawed system. Of course, that would mean they’d have to know it was a flawed system.